Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 03:10 PM

9 posts, read 51,489 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone:

I am new to the Atlanta area from Miami-them taxes and hurricane premiums on my homeowners insurance were killing me. My husband and I have been renting for 5 months and have been looking for a home in an area with good schools. The Brookwood school district in Gwinett is supposed to be really good, but to find what we were looking for was going to cost an arm and a leg, so we decided on Buford and Grayson/Loganville. Dacula was an option, but I am getting mixed reviews on how good the school actually are. Currently we live in town and commute to Gwinett County for work, and it has been beautiful as we are against traffic.
My concern now is that my husband will be going to GA State three days a week, therefore does anyone have any insight on which city would offer the better commute....taking 78W into town or 85 South (which seemes pretty bad). Thanks for your help. Also we are thinking of a community in Grayson by the Richardson Housing Group. Does anyone know anything about this builders reputation. Please Help as we are trying to make decision in the upcoming week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 03:33 PM

75 posts, read 324,751 times
I think it depends on the time of day, but I would say overall that 78w would be the way to go. Richardson Housing Group has a pretty good reputation in my opinion. Good Luck!

Old 08-18-2007, 03:21 PM

65 posts, read 216,027 times
Sandramot, I live in Grayson and The Richardson Housing Group has a subdivision behind me in the Grayson/Snellville area and there are a few homes left in the community. They area a good builder with a good reputation. Your commute to downtown is a straight shot into Atlanta down Hwy 78 to Ponce de Leon and downtown 30, 45minutes with heavy traffic on 78 maybe an hour. GSU is a great school. If you go to Dacula you would have to go down Hwy 316 to Interstate 85 and with the construction at the 316/85 interchange you would be in a mess. They are scheduled to be though with the construction in about a year to two years from now. Once they get through it will be a fast commute, but right now it is the pitts. Let me know if I can help you...

Old 08-19-2007, 12:22 AM

9 posts, read 51,489 times
Thanks AVA and BillWag. My husband seems to agree with the both of you that 78 is the better commute. I guess you are right. Hey Bill, where is the Richardson project in Snellville? I know of one in startup in Grayson/Loganville... is that the one you are referring to?

Old 08-20-2007, 01:28 PM

16 posts, read 70,020 times
Default Richardson Group

Yes it is. I think it is called Haynes Crest? They are located on the left going east on 78 just before The Villas. They are townhomes with lots of square footage and managed care landscaping.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:35 AM

12 posts, read 40,095 times
I love Buford...
Not in the city but easy access within an hour
School is great
Don't use LEGACY...My friend moved from FL to Ga. She had a very very bad experience with them and had to cancel the contract

Old 09-10-2007, 11:00 PM

276 posts, read 1,127,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndor75 View Post
I love Buford...
Not in the city but easy access within an hour
School is great
Don't use LEGACY...My friend moved from FL to Ga. She had a very very bad experience with them and had to cancel the contract
Hi there,
We are considering buying in Buford as well. can you tell me what schools you are refering to as great. I have heard mixed reviews. Are you talking Buford city schools or Gwinnette(and if so which ones for middle and hs)...I have been to Buford and I really loved it. I have searched high and low to find a place that is actually within the zone for the Buford City schools to no avail...I have been told that N. Gwinnette is a very good HS. thanks for any help....Lisa PS, Relocating to Snellville Oct 1 and starting to look to purchase soon thereafter...Hoping to be in our own home by or right after the holidays....if possible...End of the current school year at the latest...

Old 09-11-2007, 05:42 PM

6 posts, read 23,061 times
Mill Creek cluster is much better cluster than NGH....Buford High is a football school not that great on academics

Old 09-12-2007, 09:33 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,688,602 times
Grayson is much better than Mill Creek - as is Brookwood and Parkview

Old 09-14-2007, 06:25 AM

65 posts, read 216,027 times
Buford City Schools are not part of the Gwinnett County School System and are not bad but not as good as the county. They have been a separate enity for decades and Buford prefers it that way.Grayson is a better area and is a great place to locate to. It is in the middle of everything in Gwinnett with easy access to everything because of the location, Brookwood and Parkview areas are a little to the west/northwest of that area and with the parent/school involvement, it is by far the best area for schools and the prices and scarcity of homes in the area reflect this. This area is still centrally located and makes commuting great. Snellville is just west of Grayson and the Brookwood, Parkview area. The High school there is South Gwinnett, which has a great athletic program and all these areas have public athletic programs that are fantastic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia