Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 06:36 AM

150 posts, read 482,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
Good to know. I'll try not to be quite so annoyed by it then.

Especially how they continually tease us with snow by talking about the snow that not even 1% of their viewing area may or may not get.
I actually wish they didn't talk about North Georgia on Atlanta television stations. Atlanta and North Georgia have nothing in common. A couple News stations actually wasted time to come up here last night. Just hoping for a couple of snow flakes. What a waste of time and effort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 06:37 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,991,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
All this in a viewership area that basically covers just everything east of Vidalia and Statesboro, north to Beaufort, SC and south to Mcintosh County. (Brunswick and Waycross are part of the Jacksonville market and don't receive Savannah stations).
Actually, it goes further than that. As far west as Treutlen (Soperton) and Emanuel (Swainsboro) counties. Hampton, Allendale and Colleton counties in South Carolina. Then south to Waycross and Brunswick. (Personally watched WTOC on St. Simons Island on vacation). Not certain about Camden county, but I'm pretty sure Savannah market covers it as well along with Jacksonville.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:23 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,972,978 times
SORRY IMPORT BUT YOU'RE WRONG: the savannah stations may by be carried by cable systems in those places you mentioned by request or for a fee but it is not the designated MUST CARRY city assigned to those places. Both WSAV and WTOC either request or pay to be seen in Glynn County. WJCL and WTGS do not. Brunswick is 100 percent within the Jacksonville market. You're way off on the SC counties as well. This map explains it:

http://http://dishuser.org/TVMarkets/City%20Maps/Savannah.gif

Last edited by Newsboy; 02-14-2012 at 09:40 PM..

Old 02-15-2012, 12:09 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,425,927 times
Blairsville and Hiawassee don't get Greenville stations. It's Atlanta only.

I'm in Hiawassee and you'd better believe we were watching the tornado updates last year! The tornado ended up in Rabun County and the damage to homes on Lake Burton was incredible.

Old 02-15-2012, 03:57 AM

2,399 posts, read 4,225,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTRYFRIED View Post
I actually wish they didn't talk about North Georgia on Atlanta television stations. Atlanta and North Georgia have nothing in common. A couple News stations actually wasted time to come up here last night. Just hoping for a couple of snow flakes. What a waste of time and effort.
The reason they say "Atlanta & North Georgia" is because Atlanta is IN North Georgia, granted it's not extreme North Georgia, which you probably think of as only North Georgia. In much the same way, another news station might say "Greenville and the Upstate [of South Carolina]", or "Orlando and Central Florida". It's simply an indication of where the city is, along with its viewing area.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:38 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,972,978 times
I'm betting COUNTRYFRIED would be happy if NOBODY ever thought about North Georgia ever at all, all the tourists and retirees left, and the mountain region was allowed to return to its roots as the home of rum runners, racists and toothless hillbilly chicken farmers living in tar-paper shacks. Or it could be he just doesn't enjoy watching Atlanta TV news.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
SORRY IMPORT BUT YOU'RE WRONG: the savannah stations may by be carried by cable systems in those places you mentioned by request or for a fee but it is not the designated MUST CARRY city assigned to those places. Both WSAV and WTOC either request or pay to be seen in Glynn County. WJCL and WTGS do not. Brunswick is 100 percent within the Jacksonville market. You're way off on the SC counties as well. This map explains it:

http://http://dishuser.org/TVMarkets/City%20Maps/Savannah.gif
Not quite sure why you have to YELL YOUR POINT ACROSS, but I know what I saw, unless they removed themselves from Brunswick/St. Simons, you'll find WTOC there.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Not quite sure why you have to YELL YOUR POINT ACROSS, but I know what I saw, unless they removed themselves from Brunswick/St. Simons, you'll find WTOC there.
Upon further investigation, I must correct myself. Seems that you were right, Newsboy. I didn't think certain fringe markets such as Brunswick would have an extra fee for Savannah stations, but makes sense that Jacksonville would carry Brunswick considering its size and being slightly closer.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:20 AM

846 posts, read 1,801,941 times
Blairsville cable has all Atlanta stations. UNC-TV is the only station from outside the Atlanta market carried.

Yeah, WTOC and WSAV have huge carriage. WTOC is available on Brunswick cable, and until a few years ago it was on in Walterboro in South Carolina along with WSAV. The Atlanta stations are all hooked up on satellite via Dish Network and C-Band, so that is another reason why they are so ubiquitous around Georgia.

Until locals were added (2003/2004) to satellite in Charleston, and even a little bit after, several restaurants around here picked up Atlanta feeds for network affiliates. A Ruby Tuesday near my house, for example, had a waiver to pick up all of the Big Four Atlanta stations (2/5/11/46).

I believe Dish still offers those four stations, just through a different provider.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:52 AM

663 posts, read 1,727,379 times
Out of curiosity, does Blairsville pick up anything over-the-air? When I lived in Commerce, we were in Atlanta's market but there was no way in heck we could pick up their stations over the air. We could however pick up Greenville stations with a decent antennae.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia