Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2013, 02:23 PM

6 posts, read 15,589 times

Advertisements

Moving to GA. with a job downtown. Now, I've been to Atlanta several times as my wife is from the area, but not looking forward to living IN Atlanta.

I grew up in New York (Manhattan/ Brooklyn) so I am sick and tired of "living close to work" or "living in the city" and I need space and quiet... and Conyers seems to have a lot of it. However, looks about 24 miles out - Google map says it's 28 minutes but I've heard about Atlanta traffic.

Does 28 minutes sound about right? Maybe rounded up to 30 minutes? Or is that a complete crock?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 05:30 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,527,927 times
Try 45-50 minutes on a typical day. I commute through Atlanta from Conyers to Marietta, and it takes that long just to reach the Brookwood split which is about even with Midtown but that's all highways, I don't know how much time the surface streets add. We do have XPress buses, but they run sparingly, and only at the peak times, and mostly at the peak direction. They take as long or a bit longer than driving (stuck in the same traffic) but at least it's someone else doing the driving. You might try looking toward the GA-400 corridor and using MARTA Bus/Rail to get downtown, it's about as fast, runs all day except a few hours at night, and cheaper than driving.

What interesting though is that we're opposites, I'm trying to move to New York to be near the city, and more importantly, transit into the city.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:58 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,273,537 times
Matt - check out North Bergen/West New York, NJ - There are buses that run 24 hours into Port Authority (42nd and Eighth) and it's only a 15-20 minute bus commute - since there is no subway - the prices are much more afforadable than Hoboken or Jersey City. Plus you get the stunning skyline view of Manhattan looking across the Hudson. A view of New York (Manhattan) from West New York, New Jersey at dawn | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Old 06-10-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Try 45-50 minutes on a typical day. I commute through Atlanta from Conyers to Marietta, and it takes that long just to reach the Brookwood split which is about even with Midtown but that's all highways, I don't know how much time the surface streets add. We do have XPress buses, but they run sparingly, and only at the peak times, and mostly at the peak direction. They take as long or a bit longer than driving (stuck in the same traffic) but at least it's someone else doing the driving. You might try looking toward the GA-400 corridor and using MARTA Bus/Rail to get downtown, it's about as fast, runs all day except a few hours at night, and cheaper than driving.

What interesting though is that we're opposites, I'm trying to move to New York to be near the city, and more importantly, transit into the city.
Thanks for the reply Matt. Hm, 45-50 minutes... I've spent that long on the subways going to work.

That is interesting, I guess too much of anything can make a person want the complete opposite. My in-laws live near Fairburn(?) and work up near Buckhead - they say it takes about 40-45 minutes to get to work but when they get home they have 3 acres to relax on. The last decade in Brooklyn, I'd go from a crowded train to a not-so-large apartment with no outdoor space, so that 3 acres is looks like a vacation spot to me.

Old 06-10-2013, 03:00 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,527,927 times
I will say that there are some real suburban-feel areas, pretty close to downtown. I couldn't really offer any suggestions personally, the Atlanta forum would be better for that. But looking at Google Maps, there are a number of single-family homes on what looks like decent-sized lots that practically back up to the denser areas of at least Midtown. There are also areas closer in like Decatur that I've heard may have what you need, that not only are a shorter drive to Atlanta, but they have good transit access. Having ridden both our MARTA of course, and the NYC subway, MARTA is quite different and is probably halfway between the subway, and the Long Island Railroad and Metro North Railroad electric trains. Any MARTA line offers one-seat ride to downtown (Five Points station) and is usually faster than driving once you're at the station.

Old 06-10-2013, 04:22 PM

Yea, that's pretty much the only reason I would take a job in Atlanta, the countryside. Not trying to be sarcastic (but I'm a New Yorker so it might come out that way) but I could move to Queens if I wanted suburban. When I was first called about the job in GA. I wanted to live in a farm house out in the sticks.. but that doesn't seem possible when working downtown.

When I say I want space and quiet, I was initially looking at properties on 50 acres in GA. - my wife had to talk me down from a ledge on that - but once I told her that I had never walked out my front door and NOT seen people until I was in my 20's (and on vacation) she understood. Being surrounded by 15+ million people from the day you were born kinda makes a man want to see NO one - that's probably the main reason why I was looking in areas like Conyers (and whereever else I could think of) - oh to be able spend just one Saturday watching a baseball game outside and not see a soul... that would make a slightly longer commute worth it.

I went to look at a place in Stone Mountain on 2 acres for a decent price but I've heard mixed reviews about the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia