Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 07:29 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,165,723 times

Advertisements

Seems like the Brunswick/Golden Isles area is booming. Don't know I how feel yet about more housing coming to Jekyll Island though..
The Brunswick News - Local
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 08:18 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
I'm all for it. I was just on Jekyll last week, and it's ridiculous how limited the amount of development is on this terrific island. Georgia has so many barrier islands that are completely restricted from being developed, it seems ridiculous to put limits on those islands that CAN be developed according to market demand. And Jekyll is MOST DEFINITELY not living up to its potential.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:41 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,165,723 times
Is any of the growth in Glynn County spilling McIntosh County?

Old 07-22-2014, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
Is any of the growth in Glynn County spilling McIntosh County?
Yes. McIntosh is showing pretty good growth, IMO, after years of nothingness. There's quite a few upscale waterfront communities in McIntosh now. The schools are also improving, which will ultimately attract more families. Darien is close enough to be a suburb / bedroom community of Brunswick. But for the time being, the schools in Glynn County are much better. I think the big difference between Glynn and McIntosh is waterfront real estate. It's getting quite scare and pricey in Glynn; you can still get some good bargains in McIntosh.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:28 AM

1,582 posts, read 2,185,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I'm all for it. I was just on Jekyll last week, and it's ridiculous how limited the amount of development is on this terrific island. Georgia has so many barrier islands that are completely restricted from being developed, it seems ridiculous to put limits on those islands that CAN be developed according to market demand. And Jekyll is MOST DEFINITELY not living up to its potential.
I agree 100%. A few years ago I stopped by Jekyll Island after having spent time in several coastal areas in FLA and it literally felt like going back in time. What's wrong with having ONE beach destination in GA!?

Old 10-02-2014, 12:47 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post
I agree 100%. A few years ago I stopped by Jekyll Island after having spent time in several coastal areas in FLA and it literally felt like going back in time. What's wrong with having ONE beach destination in GA!?
Nothing, except GA has more than one.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:12 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,276,681 times
Airforce link is broke. I tried to find it on their site and didn't see it. I thought they'd capped build area in the recent law and it was finally settled?

Serious question for News and J2: why do you want to see more buildings and population growth on the island?

News you brought up accessibility. (which I agree with) But Jekyll is quite accessible already. ??? You just drive there and enjoy.

It is a tranquil beach that is not jam packed. With a larger population on it, there will be increased litter etc and just crowding in general. It seems to be a cycle, too, one apartment or hotel begets two more which bring another four, until it's Myrtle Beach. Which do you like more? Myrtle or Jekyll?

I would imagine the best outcome is it will head in the direction of Hilton Head. Ie much more packed with people but imo still a downgrade. Worst case scenario: (albeit slowly, perhaps decades) it becomes Myrtle Beach. Although a few more restaurants by the beach will be nice, and I understand perhaps by accessible News you meant affordable hotels. But again I hope the whole place stays "small" scale, a few more hotels but not like Myrtle.

It's truly OUR beach now, as the state's. Turning it over to more and more private hands isn't going to increase access. It's going to dilute the experience and who knows, maybe developers will find a way to cordon off sections of beach after a while. Hey, they write the laws. You sit there and take it.

j2 it feels like to me we have the most beaches of anywhere. Since almost all barrier islands are public parks. Have you visited Cumberland or Sapelo? I highly, highly recommend. You can take the ferry if you don't want to boat it on your own. Nothing else like these beaches, in the eastern part of the country! As far as I know. It sure is like going back in time, to me it's so awesome.. For driveable ones there's Hunting or St Simon or Fernandina.

And when all these new buildings get washed away along with the barrier island in the next storm that inevitably will come, you and I will be paying for it. This is one reason I believe it's bad to build on barrier islands. We subsidize yupsters' waterfront homes getting rebuilt each time! I think.. Your fancy waterfront house washes away? You pay for it buddy! Perhaps exempt current homes but at least apply this going forward on new ones, they have to pay for flood damage or private insurance..

Old 10-03-2014, 07:31 PM

I don't even know where to begin ....

Old 10-03-2014, 11:41 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,276,681 times
Jekyll rocks, the way it is now.

Note I said a few more restaurants would be nice. It's just that it's hard to find beaches like the ones we have. Sure there are some peaceful ones in Maine, and I imagine the outer banks are, though I haven't been there..yet... Also the emerald coast in Florida's gulf shore was really nice. But I think ours are even more tranquil. Now that I think of it, Jekyll is my favorite beach. Anywhere. I've been to San Diego, Pac. NW, up and down the eastern US, the gulf. I think Jekyll is my favorite. Hunting Isl is a close second.

Why do you want more housing and apartments on Jekyll? Are you a realtor now?

Old 10-04-2014, 07:40 AM

2,508 posts, read 1,848,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post

And when all these new buildings get washed away along with the barrier island in the next storm that inevitably will come, you and I will be paying for it. This is one reason I believe it's bad to build on barrier islands. We subsidize yupsters' waterfront homes getting rebuilt each time! I think.. Your fancy waterfront house washes away? You pay for it buddy! Perhaps exempt current homes but at least apply this going forward on new ones, they have to pay for flood damage or private insurance..
Yes, the area is very vulnerable to storm surge. However, the Georgia coast has the distinction of having the least number of hurricanes striking it in the southeast. If you look at a hurricane probability map stretching from the Texas gulf coast to the Mid-Atlantic region, the Georgia coast has by far the lowest percentages. Hurricanes just don't directly hit Georgia that often due to our caved-in coastline. That means lower insurance rates and a demand to build.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia