Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2006, 10:15 AM

10 posts, read 57,839 times

Advertisements

After 30 plus years, my husband is losing his job due to the Hapeville Ford plant closing. We are looking for a quite rural town in North West Georgia. (maybe near the TN state line)

My husband is also looking for work in a manufacturing or warehouse field.
(Husband is a loyal employee and also has fork lift experience) We have a 20 year old daughter presently in college working for a degree in Biology, so a state college in the same area would be needed. She wants to persue a career working with animals, so a zoo or even the Chattanooga Aquarium nearby would be an asset.

My husband and I have lived in our present area since we were kids and have only seen the crime rate escalate and the traffic get worse. We are looking for an area where our daughter can be safe. We are quiet, law abiding, honest citizens and we are looking for same qualities in our neighbors.

A small ranch house (approximately 1,500 sq. feet) on about 5 acres would be wonderful!

Anyone have any ideas if our paradise actually exist?

Thanks,
K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2006, 07:01 PM

1 posts, read 3,879 times
Thumbs down think we found a slice of paradise

My husband and I have lived in Western Cobb County for 13 years and raised our family. After our oldest gets married we are moving to a lovely spot in Kingston, GA. Rich in history, we have found a small development of 35 homes and all on 5 to 10 acre lots in an equestrian theme. The Derby is the name of the development off of Alford Road which is off of Rt.411. Very nice and not the traffic that is driving us a bit nuts it will be a refreshing change that I would encourage you to look into. Its beautiful.

Old 04-19-2006, 05:11 AM

Thumbs up Thanks

Hi Holly,

Thanks for the reply! I was beginning to think paradise does not exist!

We had in fact, driven to the Cartersville area, this past weekend to take a tour. We liked the area very much, but didn't go as far as Kingston. I appreciate the information and will do some research on that area!

Kbart

Old 04-23-2006, 02:36 PM

5 posts, read 34,550 times
If you are not burned out on the auto industry, you might want to take a look at west central Georgia, my friends in the area tell me that KIA has just announced that their only north American plant will be built near West Point, GA. Auburn University is not far away in alabama and I think it is only about an hour from Atlanta. There are some really pretty small towns in the area.

Old 04-24-2006, 06:28 AM

Hi Carole,

Thanks for the reply!

That location would be absolutely ideal. My husband is not burned out with the automobile industry and it was his intention to work at the Ford Plant in Hapeville until he was in his 60's. His job was all that was keeping us here and also the fact that our house is paid for!

We made a trip to the West Point area as soon as we heard that KIA was building a plant in that area and really liked the area. Unfortunately, the rumor at the Ford plant is that KIA will not be hiring anyone from GM or Ford due to the fact, they don't want to employ anyone who has been affiliated with a union. (UAW) I don't know if this rumor is accurate though. In between now and the plant closing, my husband is going to keep an open mind about any possible employment opportunities.

I have noticed that alot of the Real Estate people on this website view the metro area with rose colored glasses. You have to live here for 30 + years to know better! We are tired of the crime, the gangstas and the traffic and are hoping the plant closing will be good for our family and allow us to explore and see what is out there for us!

Thanks again,
K.bart

Old 08-23-2006, 09:35 AM

24 posts, read 92,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollieHMW View Post
My husband and I have lived in Western Cobb County for 13 years and raised our family. After our oldest gets married we are moving to a lovely spot in Kingston, GA. Rich in history, we have found a small development of 35 homes and all on 5 to 10 acre lots in an equestrian theme. The Derby is the name of the development off of Alford Road which is off of Rt.411.
Can someone give me more information on The Derby? What price do the lots start at?

Old 08-23-2006, 11:05 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,410,254 times
Dalton, GA and towns off Rt53 or Rt 52 East.
Nice areas.
Dalton is growing, but not as nutty as Atlanta and Chattaboo is right up the road.

Old 08-25-2006, 03:37 PM

321 posts, read 1,557,822 times
Let me tell you about another hidden gem. It's called Emerson. It is just south of Cartersville, southern Bartow County. It is right off the interstate (I-75) but it feels very far away. If you get off the interstate and find the little community of Emerson, it doesn't look like much. There's a convenience store, a new Dollar General, churches, police station, etc. And some run down older homes and a few brand new, small ones. Then there is Doug's Place, which is a restaurant that looks like a hole in the wall, but it has fabulous home cooking. It's only open 3 or 4 days a week, and is always packed.

What you have to do is to take a couple of the side roads into the countryside, and you will find beautiful properties! There are estate lots for sale in a couple of different places. The roads are windy and peaceful, there are horses and cows everywhere and beautiful large homes set back from the road. There are lots of mailboxes with driveways heading up into the hills, with the homes screened by the trees. Being in Bartow County, prices are very reasonable, and it really is an easy drive to Marietta, Atlanta and points south, and it's about 90 minutes straight up I-75 to Chattanooga. Check it out. I know the area (and Cartersville too) very well and would be happy to answer any questions.

Old 08-30-2006, 09:55 PM

33 posts, read 157,571 times
Default NW Georgia

Hi there,

We live in the area of NW Georgia you spoke of. Chattanooga is 20 minutes away. Catoosa or Whitfield counties in my opinion are the best counties in this area. They are the fastest growing counties in the area with plenty of land left. Chattanooga is one of those manufacturing towns but that industry seems to be falling apart. They have built a large industrial park called Enterprise South in Chattanooga but they can't get anyone to set up shop there. There seems to be a shift to service and professional jobs happening at this time. I know the car manufactures have passed on the chattanooga area and have gone to Alabama and Kentucky. You may want to look into those areas as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia