Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2008, 05:11 PM

1 posts, read 5,899 times

Advertisements

Thinking of moving to Perry, GA for employment. What is the town like? How much are city property and state employment taxes? I have livestock, where is the best place to look for housing with property? What are the top 3 employers in Perry? I am from the west, what is the weather like there? What about hurricains and tornados? Are there a lot of bugs in the summer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 05:24 PM

511 posts, read 2,476,655 times
Perry is great, it is really a small town although the population is looking to double from 5,000 to 10,000 and they will also see alot of economic growth especially with the New Georgia Go Fish Center, I cant really explain much about ti but google it. Perdue Chicken which can be found in pretty much every grocer nowadays is a large employer along with the Southeast Frito Lay Plant, but these two businesses really provide jobs to the entire region not just Perry. Some people say Georgia is often-time spared from Hurricanse which is true, there hasnt been a big one in a long time, scientist predict it will be here soon enough though. Tornadoes arent to common, but its not to often they get reported Perry is pretty rural, and a tornadoe may come and go without any damage of any sort. The weather is your typical southeast weather, never heard of Perry having any snow, but you cant really put a cap on that either.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:37 PM

2 posts, read 10,024 times
I've been a very regular visitor to Perry (from Metro Atlanta) for over 50 years. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to relocate there and can think of no reason *not* to (assuming that you need to be in Middle Georgia for whatever reason). I've also spent a lot of time on the west coast. Probably the first thing you'll notice is the summer humidity, but you're going to find that almost anywhere in the South. Storms: again, the whole South feels the weather that always has and always will flow off of the Gulf during the "season" (late summer through fall). But Perry isn't in one of the historic "alleys" that are the 'usual' track for storms. In my life, I can't recall a hurricane that did widespread or substantial damage, whereas there have been quite a few further south in GA AND AL. Bugs: time was that gnats were almost insufferable during peach season. In the last 10 to 15 years, that seems not to be the case. I'm not in ag, so I don't know why. In any case, I'd put up with 'em even at their worse, because in return, you get peaches right off of the tree that - most years - are some of if not THE best in the U.S. And if you've never had a GA peach (especially in a "good" year) right off of the tree, you'd just better be ready to have your life changed.

If you visit and aren't yet decided, the top of your list should include a meal (Sunday mid-day is best, but anytime is good) at the New Perry Hotel. And if you can find him, try to chat with Riley Hunt, a retired funeral director who you also might find selling peaches on occasion. He knows about everything about Perry that's worth knowin'.

Finally, I know there's a monster defense contractor there. Or was within the last few years. But the name escapes me. Seems like it was somehow connected with Lockheed.

Last edited by willbravo; 01-21-2008 at 02:41 PM.. Reason: punctuation and clarity

Old 10-04-2008, 11:44 AM

2 posts, read 9,354 times
Wonderful place for a farm or just a few livestock. Weather is wonderful with the least tornadoes of the whole country! No hurricanes, no landslides, no tidal waves, no earthquakes!
And there is some big bucks industry here. Robins AFB employs approx 50,000 civilians, Northrop Gruman, Lockheed, Frito lay: there is tons of industry here, look in the yellow pages or city guides. Go to Yahoo and put the city or county in and you can research all of them.
Yeah, the gnat line is in Macon I believe, and we do have mosquitos!

We have 9 months of very good warm to hot weather, and 2 months of cool weather and maybe one month of really cold, all the way down to 32 sometimes.....We might have a sprinkle of snow one day a year, but everyone gets a day off work and school is out as iin "Snow Day" . That actually happens because no one here is equipped with snow tires, or chains, and its cheaper to close down one day than for every one to buy those things for one day a year.
And it saves on gas for the business and school, not to mention the higher probability of auto accidents.

Look in Houston, Peach, Crawford counties for country land for farms.

It depends on what you like to do and family situations and how much money you want to spend.

Every city has its good and bad points: I would not recommend Macon as a place to live or send kids to school unless you want to send them to private schools, (Expensive)

Warner Robins has the largest civilian employer in middle Ga at Robins AFB. Folks commute from all over Ga to work there.

With it being military, it is a very inexpensive place to live as compared with Macon. The middle class is what I am talking about.

The housing market is better to buy or rent. I am "fixing" to move from Macon to Warner Robins/ Perry area to save money. You can find places in the country if that is what you like. I have been looking at it for years now and I am moving in the next couple of months.

Bonaire, Kathleen, Bryon etc are smaller towns that surround Warner Robins. I think Kathleen, Bonaire, and Perry are all in Houston county with Warner Robins.
Bryon is in Peach I think.

Houston County, (pronounced as in house ton) has the best schools, as they get government money because of the military dependents going to public schools, that Bibb co, (Macon) does not get. We retired there as a military family.
(Macon has a higher crime rate also. I became a Macon Police officer)

Now for the entertainment and shopping. Warner Robins has surpassed Macon in the restraurant selection and has the bowling alleys, and theaters etc.

Warner Robins has the biggest high school football rivarly and was one of the best records in the state. The real estate agents, (I have heard), find out if your family includes a football player and guides you to buy or live in the part of town that will have your son playing for a certain team.

Warner Robins also has the family events such as softball, soccer, etc, the clubs, and reallly has any thing that Macon has to offer.

I think Macon has a minor league baseball team, but when the baby Braves were here, they weren't supported and left town.

If you want a small town and closer to the action in Atlanta, research Forsyth, Jackson and Barnsville, and other small towns closer to Atlanta.

Atlanta is probably in the top 10 as far as Action for the clubs, restraurants, Arts, etc.
Atlanta is only 90 miles from Macon and not that far to go for the weekend for something different such as the arts and theater.
Savannah is only about 190 miles away and awesome! Wonderful for a weekend getaway.
And the Ga mountains are just north of Atlanta.
The west side of Ga has some stuff, but I forgot what it is.
Oh, Jimmy Carter still teaches Sunday school in Plains: that is a wonderful weekend getaway for the children. Cordele has the "Sam Train" that goes to Plains. The Secret Service searched us and the children before entering and our children was babyset in the nursey by the Secret Service!!!!
You can't beat that for a memory for the kids.
Hope this helps,
You can research any town on the net.
KarmaKool

Old 10-04-2008, 07:27 PM

1,808 posts, read 4,037,626 times
My girlfriend was born and raised in Perry, so we have spent quite a bit of time there. Other than the hospital, I can think of nothing negative to say about the place. I have heard some not so good things about Houston Co. schools... but its second hand info, so I cannot really say anything with absolute certainty.
The hospital, on the other hand, I can speak of first hand. Very bad experiences (plural) and I suggest, in a time of need... go to Warner Robins. But I think you will find Perry to your liking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia