Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2015, 07:18 AM

459 posts, read 586,001 times

Advertisements

I am retired and in Florida now. FL, sucks because of the mass invasion of snowbirds so I want to leave.

I have located some nice property over on the west side of Albany and considering building a new home.

I have asked about racial tensions (I am white) and if it is still a problem in the area.

What about crime and is the area / town a safe place for seniors to live?

I see all the uprising and shooting stuff on the TV and simply do not want to get caught up in all of that at my age ..... rather use my last years in a quiet setting.

I am not interested in shopping, dining, arts and all that stuff. Just peace and quiet, good medical and an affordable cost of living. I do see that property taxes are sky high however!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 07:27 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,262,592 times
Have you considered Thomasville? On this board it seems Albany has a bad reputation.

Old 08-20-2015, 08:30 AM

I sort of looked at Thomasville but do not know anything about it.

It also seems that finding 1-5 acres of land is almost impossible. I have to get out of the crowded subdivision concept and have at least an acre so I am not sitting next to a bad neighbor who is only 15' away.

Old 08-20-2015, 08:45 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,937,091 times
Read through these forums and you'll see that Albany does not have the best reputation. Thomasville is a much better option if you can get the land. Albany isn't a retirement destination. It's not a destination at all. Most seem to try to leave it.

Old 08-20-2015, 01:53 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,102,358 times
RexLan, driving from Macon to Albany State University's campus several times, I have never saw anything as bad as made out on here about Albany. When my cousin graduated recently and we ate out at a restaurant across town, I didnt see anything bad along the drive either. I even saw some nice little neighborhoods. According to people, none of the areas I'm describing above are even the "good" part of town. I heard it's in the suburb of Lee County or out near Albany's Mall.

Beware, this is just what I've seen. The other comments and stats prove Albany obviously has much worse areas than I've seen. But just from my experience, I'm saying it cant all be bad.

Lee County seems to be the go to spot for that area.

Old 08-20-2015, 03:13 PM

17 posts, read 14,794 times
I was born in Albany and moved to Leesburg (neighboring town) when I was 10. I'm 21 years old now. You must be aware that racial tension IS a thing here. In general, whites and blacks don't like each other. It usually won't be an issue as long as you don't go looking for trouble. There isn't much to do here. Shopping in sparse, mostly chain restaurants but that seems to be what people like here. There are a few local places that are okay, depending on what you're into. Downtown doesn't have much to see. The riverfront is there but downtown is pretty dead and once you've been to the aquarium and walked the trail on the river, you've seen it all. Don't go after dark. Gangs are out and about at that time.

If you don't need anything too booming or busy, I would suggest Leesburg. It is really nice. Great schools. Mostly whites. Nicer areas all around. You'll have to drive to Albany for pretty much anything since Leesburg only has a few groceries stores, gas stations, Subway, McDonald's and Arby's but Leesburg is basically a suburb of Albany so the drive is fine. 15-20 minutes depending on where you're going. Also, Lee Co off of 82 would be good for you as those are higher end areas. You may find something there. That side of Lee Co is closer to central Albany so in that way you'd be near everything.

Albany/Leesburg isn't all bad but make sure you research the neighborhoods beforehand. If you just want quiet and simple, you could find that here. It is starting to grow a little in recent years. For someone my age, Albany just doesn't fit my lifestyle (and by that, I don't mean bars because that seems to be all anyone wants to do for fun here) and I just want more local businesses and more outdoor activities. I can see how it would be just fine for someone settling down. Make sure you pay a visit before you decide anything. Good luck!

Old 08-21-2015, 09:21 AM

Thanks for all the great advice. I did find two nice subdivisions on Birchwood and Spring Hill Rd. I also found a nice lot on North Gate Rd. These are on the west side I think.

Simple and quiet is what we want. Good access to basic shopping, grocery and medical. Not interested in night life, dining or social stuff. I have read all the negative on the forum and that is why I have asked.

Is seems almost impossible to find a 2-3 acre vacant land to build on these days.

Old 08-21-2015, 04:28 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
Phoebe-Putney Memorial Hospital in Albany is huge and one of the state's top healthcare systems. Albany deserves credit for it. Also, while you don't indicate any religious preference, Albany's Sherwood Baptist Church is a mega-church famous for making Christian-themes movies like "Facing the Giants," "Fireproof" and "Courageous."

Albany doesn't get a lot of love in Georgia, but it's not nearly as bad a place as many people make it out to be. It's also not too far from some really neat smaller cities like Americus to the north and Thomasville to the South. And you're a lot closer to the beautiful beaches of the Florida panhandle as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia