Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2008, 05:47 PM

102 posts, read 504,105 times

Advertisements

Is there a daily newspaper in Toccoa? Good website for housing? What is the job and housing market like there right now? And, are the schools good? Thanks for any info. DH has expanded our area of searching for a home in GA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 03:06 PM

247 posts, read 1,289,908 times
Default Toccoa newspaper

I don't think they have a daily newspaper - their paper is the Stephens County News. (?) They do have TV station WNEG channel 32.

Old 01-30-2008, 03:20 PM

3 posts, read 13,201 times
Smile Toccoa

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsthebeach View Post
Is there a daily newspaper in Toccoa? Good website for housing? What is the job and housing market like there right now? And, are the schools good? Thanks for any info. DH has expanded our area of searching for a home in GA.
Toccoa is Stephens county. You could Google the newspaper that Toccoa has. My son-in-law is a police officer there. Crime is low, but Stephens County Is lacking in industry. If you like the small town feel, Toccoa is a great place to live.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:08 PM

102 posts, read 504,105 times
Thank you guys for the info. Will look into the Stephens County news. Have a great night!

Old 02-09-2008, 01:17 PM

2 posts, read 5,494 times
Toccoa newspaper = The Toccoa Record: Front. Enjoy. i'm probably moving there in the next few weeks. I've visited - real small town, but it has more things than where I live now here in Dillard, GA.

Old 07-12-2009, 05:55 AM

1 posts, read 2,972 times
i am thinking about moving there from a big city miami will i enjoy living there? I am use to getting out dinner, movies, etc. I will be retire therefore I would want something to do. What about the housing as I will be on a fix income are the affordable?

Old 07-12-2009, 12:16 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,573,120 times
people, people, people....MOST small towns in GA like anywhere else are "dead". DEAD! they don't have shopping, movies, restaurants unless you consider dollar general, netflix and mcdonalds (if u r lucky). jobs? GA has one of the highest unemployment rates. i'm guessing that in most of the 159 counties in GA that local government, including school systems, account for the most employment at least at "decent" wages. i am betting the same across the fruited plain. i'm betting you are not likely to get on with these entities cause you ain't from around here.

the grass is not greener except, maybe, in the area of crime which can be important. however, be prepared for boring, perhaps aloneness, isolation and in a couple of years the itch to move someplace else. the only problem now is you cannot unload a house on someone else. i have heard so often people reject the notion of attending a church. fine. but in the south, church can still be a big social affair until you perhaps are invited to join some civic club if that exists in the ville.

i retired. i moved to one of the most beautiful, pristine places on the planet which also happened to be in N. GA. we lasted 2 years. sold the place, made some cash and moved right back to our house which, thankfully, we had not sold. bored out of our skulls. had to drive 26 miles to a walmart for goodness sakes.

i am not suggesting not to relocate. i am not suggesting not to relocate to a "dead" ville, but i am definitely suggesting that you are quite likely not to be very content when you get there and stay awhile.

i highly recommend you purchase a used camping rig, nicest and largest you can afford. buy a big enough pickup to pull it and travel around until you find paradise. prepare for a lot of miles. of course if you still have to work, this solution isn't for you.

my 2 cents.

Last edited by Ollie1946; 07-12-2009 at 12:19 PM.. Reason: more info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
View detailed profiles of: