Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2021, 11:20 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,029,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
This annoys me. And I know there’s the Republican equivalent so it’s not one-sided.

‘"Gov. Kemp, you're next. See you in 2022," the Democratic Governors Association tweeted Wednesday as the upset victories of Democrats Raphael Warnock and Jon Ossoff in the Georgia Senate races came to light.’

If we stop and wonder why there is so much partisan politics, especially now with social media, there’s the answer.

While not perfect, Kemp has done a better job for Georgia in 2020 than the media darling Cuomo has done for NY.

The latter finally realized he couldn’t keep the state shut down forever, and despite record infections there (no more “flattening the curve”) announced he’s opening up NY.

NY has 2x the population of GA and has a projected deficit of $16-17B. States are required by law to balance their budget.

Georgia had to make far fewer cuts and won’t have to resort to budget trickery or tax increases.

Newsom in CA is facing a potential recall and there are already over 1 million signatures calling for it.

Luckily we have 20 more months to go before the election. A lot can happen and a lot can be forgotten.
Talk about head in the sand
See this is the key difference how conservatives think. Your first instinct is to think of how your life is an not how the community is doing as a whole. Before you start im not saying take from the wealthy give to the poor but society does better as a whole when there is less social problems like crime.

Georgia also has more crime,more income inequality,poorer quality schools .,lower quality healthcare ,lower wage growth, etc ,so yes I can see why Georgia operates fiscally better as they simply arent infesting where its should.

Lets be honest Kemp only didnt do anything because he was just scared of Trumo. like most Republicans these days they have no back bone and thats why Kemo is being targeted now. He will loose and even though I honestly dont think Stacey Abrams is the best candidate,I think she will do far better than "status quo Kemp"

Old 01-14-2021, 11:26 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
Talk about head in the sand
See this is the key difference how conservatives think. Your first instinct is to think of how your life is an not how the community is doing as a whole. Before you start im not saying take from the wealthy give to the poor but society does better as a whole when there is less social problems like crime.

Georgia also has more crime,more income inequality,poorer quality schools .,lower quality healthcare ,lower wage growth, etc ,so yes I can see why Georgia operates fiscally better as they simply arent infesting where its should.

Lets be honest Kemp only didnt do anything because he was just scared of Trumo. like most Republicans these days they have no back bone and thats why Kemo is being targeted now. He will loose and even though I honestly dont think Stacey Abrams is the best candidate,I think she will do far better than "status quo Kemp"
Your response doesn’t fit what I said. At all.

When a state is fiscally sound, it can add services. Kemp didn’t cut education spending and only slightly cut state spending across the board. As things recover, and GA is in a good place, the budget can relax more.

When a state is fiscally in trouble, it has to either cut services and/or increase taxes. NY is in trouble with their massive shortfall. That’s why Cuomo backpedaled on “follow the science” and is reopening despite Covid cases in NY at record highs.

Higher taxes have two effects.

1) less money in people’s pockets to spend on products and services

2) when high enough can act as a deterrent to the point where people who can leave, will do so.

Georgia’s policies, such as establishing a rainy day fund aren’t Kemp’s, and aren’t Republican. This has been the case under the past few governors from both parties.

Perhaps you’d prefer to be like NY who is in big trouble now. If so I encourage you to spend some time there and see what it’s like, as many of my family are experiencing right now.

Now if you want more services in Atlanta, then there’s an extra layer there that can be taxed and spent for the benefit of the community. Not everyone across the state wants everything...and to pay for it.

Old 01-14-2021, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Your response doesn’t fit what I said. At all.

When a state is fiscally sound, it can add services.

When a state is fiscally in trouble, it has to either cut services and/or increase taxes.

Higher taxes have two effects.

1) less money in people’s pockets to spend on products and services

2) when high enough can act as a deterrent to the point where people who can leave, will do so.

Georgia’s policies, such as establishing a rainy day fund aren’t Kemp’s, and aren’t Republican. This has been the case under the past few governors from both parties.

Perhaps you’d prefer to be like NY who is in big trouble now. If so I encourage you to spend some time there and see what it’s like, as many of my family are experiencing right now.

Now if you want more services in Atlanta, then there’s an extra layer there that can be taxed and spent for the benefit of the community. Not everyone across the state wants everything...and to pay for it.
I agree to the extent there is a balance. But what I dont agree is that wages and cost of living due to said taxes on those making less dont help the average person because of the tax burden for lack of services to those who need it. If i was poor Id be better off in NY pr CA than anywhere in the South

I do not live in the city any more.Not for 5 years now

Old 01-14-2021, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgeorgiaman View Post
Just watched it. I think there were a lot of great things there. While I have disagreed with the Governor on many things, one thing I will commend him for is preparing Georgia for the financial fallout from COVID. Georgia is indeed in an enviable position when it comes to our present budget unlike states who did not make adjustments early on.

The education part was spot on and not withholding funding from districts where students may not be engaged with school in the present situation is good for local communities and assisting our schools in being ready for "normal" whenever we get there.

The focus on rural broadband is good for the entire state of course the devil is in the details on this one.

While I am still not a fan of the Governor's state mandate that local COVID restrictions cannot be imposed when needed (flies in the face of conservative values of government at the lowest level), I will concede that there was no easy answer there. Opening up Georgia did not go as I would have done it, but however it was done would have caught grief. I agree that our businesses were given a fighting chance where in other states, they are begging for help from a dysfunctional federal government.

I would have liked to have heard more details on the criminal justice piece. The comments seemed surface level on that part today.

The typical political tone was there with a decidedly conservative bend, but it was standard and not overpowering so no issues with that.

The speech today reminded me of a common-sense Governor Deal type speech. We all know that what is said and what the true priorities in the legislature are can differ, but there were some good things there.

My two cents today--now let's see what happens under the Dome...
Good thoughtful balanced post

Old 01-14-2021, 12:01 PM

11,812 posts, read 8,018,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Scientist View Post
Maybe with Trump off of social media, the country can start to move forward. We can't truly unite until those responsible for the attack on our democracy are brought to justice. Kemp isn't directly responsible for the attack on the Capitol but he entertained and supported Trump after all these years because it helped is political career.
Im glad they finally put an end to that nonsense with him and Twitter but it’s going to take a long time for this country to heal. They are extremists and are operating on conspiracy. They believe this nation is under a silent attack and that Trump is the only figure who can save it thus squelching him is an impediment against free speach and unfortunately they will likely become more violent before they settle. It has been done in such a way that these people think that what they’re doing is right, legitimate and even ethical.

As for Kemp, I don’t know his true initiative but I was speculating he saw just how far Trump was going and it finally crossed the line which is why he held back. I’m glad he didn’t go all the way though.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 01-14-2021 at 12:16 PM..

Old 01-14-2021, 01:15 PM

Quote:
I agree to the extent there is a balance. But what I dont agree is that wages and cost of living due to said taxes on those making less dont help the average person because of the tax burden for lack of services to those who need it. If i was poor Id be better off in NY pr CA than anywhere in the South

I never mentioned wages...my same points would apply if the minimum wage was $15 or $8. In fact, higher wages would lead to higher taxes paid. So over time, as higher earners move to GA there is the opportunity to add more services. Personally I have no problem with a $15 minimum wage as everyone can then pay their fair share of taxes, and it will eliminate the need for things like the EIC and other refundable credits. Nobody should get more back from the federal government than they put in.

The important thing for a state though is to not overextend as they can’t run a deficit.

And yes, if you’re poor you are better off in NY and CA. Same if you’re an undocumented immigrant.

But all that presupposes that NY and CA can continue to offer the same level of services in the future. Which also assumes that taxes collected will be the same.

If 2 people each making $500K a year leave NY and are replaced by 3 each making $50K the net population goes up but the income tax collected goes way down.

The kind of people leaving CA and NY today are generally wealthier and are portable. This is not a good thing for states. What you’ll end up with is a small percentage of taxpayers, paying at a higher rate, subsidizing a lot of people who pay little to nothing.

Old 01-14-2021, 05:45 PM

Quote:
I never mentioned wages...my same points would apply if the minimum wage was $15 or $8. In fact, higher wages would lead to higher taxes paid. So over time, as higher earners move to GA there is the opportunity to add more services. Personally I have no problem with a $15 minimum wage as everyone can then pay their fair share of taxes, and it will eliminate the need for things like the EIC and other refundable credits. Nobody should get more back from the federal government than they put in.

The important thing for a state though is to not overextend as they can’t run a deficit.

And yes, if you’re poor you are better off in NY and CA. Same if you’re an undocumented immigrant.

But all that presupposes that NY and CA can continue to offer the same level of services in the future. Which also assumes that taxes collected will be the same.

If 2 people each making $500K a year leave NY and are replaced by 3 each making $50K the net population goes up but the income tax collected goes way down.

The kind of people leaving CA and NY today are generally wealthier and are portable. This is not a good thing for states. What you’ll end up with is a small percentage of taxpayers, paying at a higher rate, subsidizing a lot of people who pay little to nothing.
I dont think either way is sustainable but if Georgia did just a litlle but more to help those with less,I can see those issues I mentioned having less of a negative impact.
Im a firm believer in equality in education. Poorer kids should be the main ones to have access to things like pre k. Its not the same America where one coould work hard an pull themselves up from their bootstraps The cs cost of education and healthcare are the main examples of how the cost has exploded and wages have not kept up.
I dont wanna be taxed like they are in NY but i wish we had a lot better quality of life that NY and CA has over Georgia

Old 01-14-2021, 06:26 PM

Quote:
I dont think either way is sustainable but if Georgia did just a litlle but more to help those with less,I can see those issues I mentioned having less of a negative impact.
Im a firm believer in equality in education. Poorer kids should be the main ones to have access to things like pre k. Its not the same America where one coould work hard an pull themselves up from their bootstraps The cs cost of education and healthcare are the main examples of how the cost has exploded and wages have not kept up.
I dont wanna be taxed like they are in NY but i wish we had a lot better quality of life that NY and CA has over Georgia
I hate to tell you this but the reason why education is generally better in the NY suburbs is due to high property taxes to pay for them. Like $15-20K a year for many.

And in many areas of CA the schools are horrible so the better off send their kids to private school.

Old 01-14-2021, 07:37 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,504,544 times
Quote:

Quote:

Both of your comments raise a good point, which is that many poor people may often be able to qualify for an increased amount of public assistance in higher tax states like New York and California.

But the increased costs of living in those states often eats poorer people alive, sometimes/often to the point that poorer people living in states like NY and CA may often be motivated to move to lower-cost states in the Southeast (including Georgia, etc.), particularly if they may aspire to be upwardly mobile and want to have at least a decent shot at at least some semblance of a middle-class lifestyle.

markjames68 makes an excellent point that many of the people leaving higher-tax/higher-cost states like New York and California generally may be wealthier and portable.

But (including because of Atlanta’s status as an increasingly high-profile ‘Mecca’ for African-Americans), Georgia has been attracting large numbers of poorer/transient transplants (of all colors, ranging from homeless and home/food-insecure income levels to working poor and lower-middle class) from both California and (ESPECIALLY from) New York for decades.

While there has been a smaller but still noticeably sizable pipeline of black transplants of all income levels moving from California to Georgia for decades, there has been what seems to be a particularly large pipeline of people of all income levels (including black transplants) moving from New York to Georgia since the end of World War II, with black New York/New Jersey residents moving to Georgia in increasingly larger numbers since the Civil Rights Movement began in the late 1950’s.

Just the housing costs alone has motivated many poorer New Yorkers and Californians to move to a lower-cost state like Georgia.

Many poorer New Yorkers and Californians (including many black New Yorkers and Californians whom regard metro as a ‘black Mecca’) may be motivated to move to a lower-cost state like Georgia because of personal desires to start a business that they might think will have a better chance of surviving and succeeding in lower-cost GA than higher-cost states like NY and GA.

Many poorer black New Yorkers and Californians might have also often been motivated to move to Georgia in the past because of the very high crime rates in those areas during the era roughly between 1970 and 1995.

Old 01-15-2021, 04:03 AM

Quote:
I hate to tell you this but the reason why education is generally better in the NY suburbs is due to high property taxes to pay for them. Like $15-20K a year for many.

And in many areas of CA the schools are horrible so the better off send their kids to private school.
Thats nothing new, Thats part of the problem,From what i know,no where in teh western deveped world is schoooling is tied to property taxes. The South is the main place that would benefit from more federal guidelines in standards.

Are u reallly suggesting because Cali has some poor performing schools,that somehow is the equailent of just how even the nest schools in Georgia still dont rank as high overall when matched up with those in Cali. Not to ment how bad or average at best schools are outside metro Atlanta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia