Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2018, 05:45 AM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
She seems angry, or at least it’s written that way. She needs to move on.

“I am moving forward knowing what is in my past. I know the obstacles they have for me. I’m fairly certain they’re energizing and creating new obstacles now,” Abrams says. “They’ve got four years to figure it out. Maybe two.”

I’d say I’m fairly certain that Kemp isn’t thinking about her at all right now or worried about obstacles.

It will be tougher for her if she runs again, but I welcome her candidacy. She does need to pay off her debt, especially the IRS debt, before she does though.
She is moving on...to her next political opportunity. And tapping into the residual anger out there over the recent election is a shrewd way to do it.

Old 12-04-2018, 07:22 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
She is moving on...to her next political opportunity. And tapping into the residual anger out there over the recent election is a shrewd way to do it.
It’s polarizing but plays to her base. The question will be if she runs again that she pulls the same turnout. And gets the same Hollywood attention for being the first black woman governor.

In 2020 the Democrats will be focused on removing Trump, and should they win, there will likely be a midterm backlash. She benefited from a perfect storm - demographics, election cycle, and a lackluster candidate. She will still have the first, may lose the second and will be running against an incumbent governor which is a wildcard depending on his performance.

Old 12-05-2018, 10:56 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,353,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post

She is going to find out that Senate elections are much different than Governor elections. She actually has a better chance to win the Governorship than a Senate seat.

Old 12-05-2018, 12:15 PM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
She is going to find out that Senate elections are much different than Governor elections. She actually has a better chance to win the Governorship than a Senate seat.
We'll see, Nostradamus.

Old 12-09-2018, 07:22 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,500,133 times
Default Gov.-elect Kemp names floor leaders for 2019 legislative session

On Friday, Georgia Governor-elect Brian Kemp named his floor leaders for the 2019 legislative session of the Georgia General Assembly.

Kemp's 2019 floor leaders in the Georgia state House of Representatives include:

> Rep. Jodi Lott (R-Evans)
http://www.house.ga.gov/Documents/Bi...s/lottJodi.pdf

> Rep. Terry Rogers (R-Clarksville)
http://www.house.ga.gov/Documents/Bi...ogersTerry.pdf

> Rep. Bert Reeves (R-Marietta)
http://www.house.ga.gov/Documents/Bi...reevesBert.pdf

> Rep. Dominic LaRicca (R-Douglas)
http://www.house.ga.gov/Documents/Bi...ciaDominic.pdf

Kemp's 2019 floor leaders in the Georgia state Senate include:

> Sen. Blake Tillery (R-Vidalia)
http://www.senate.ga.gov/senators/Do...yBlake4908.pdf

> Sen. Brian Strickland (R-McDonough)
http://www.senate.ga.gov/senators/Do...ndBrian835.pdf

In addition to naming his floor leaders in the state legislature for 2019, Governor-elect Kemp appointed former Georgia state Rep. Mark Hamilton (R-Cumming) to serve as his Director of External Affairs.

Kemp also appointed Stuart Wilkinson, who worked in Gov. Nathan Deal's administration for six years, to serve as Deputy Director of External Affairs.

"Governor-Elect Brian Kemp Announces Floor Leaders, Director and Deputy Director of External Affairs" (GeorgiaPol.com)

Old 12-12-2018, 06:01 AM

Default Brian Kemp says it's "Time to put politics aside," looks for common ground in 1st major address

Tuesday's edition of the GPB (Georgia Public Broadcasting) political show, Political Rewind, covered Georgia Governor-elect Brian Kemp giving his first major speech before members of the state legislature at their biennial pre-session conference in Athens.

Kemp seemed to leave behind the incendiary political attacks of the 2018 gubernatorial campaign while sounding a conciliatory tone and basically calling for unity in governing between all Republicans and Democrats ahead of the coming 2019 session of the Georgia General Assembly.

Political Rewind: Brian Kemp Says It's "Time To Put Politics Aside"

Quote:
“I know that we were all not on the same team in the primary, the runoff or even the general election,” Kemp said to lawmakers, state officials and lobbyists gathered at the University of Georgia’s campus for training ahead of next month’s legislative session.

“But the campaign is over. It is time to put politics behind us. It is time to shed labels and work together as Georgians,” Kemp said.
"Kemp looks for common ground in first major address" (WALB-TV Albany)

Old 12-12-2018, 05:47 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,630,056 times
So long as Mr. Kemp practices the same brand of moderation as his predecessor, I will get behind him. I appreciated his show of goodwill toward Mayor Bottoms.

Old 12-12-2018, 11:57 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,157,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
So long as Mr. Kemp practices the same brand of moderation as his predecessor, I will get behind him. I appreciated his show of goodwill toward Mayor Bottoms.
This.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:26 AM

815 posts, read 708,768 times
I'm sure he's going to try to play the moderate. But will he stand up to his very immoderate base? Color me skeptical.

Old 12-14-2018, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDreaming01 View Post
I'm sure he's going to try to play the moderate. But will he stand up to his very immoderate base? Color me skeptical.
It remains to be seen as to whether Kemp will stand up to his deeply conservative base of rural and exurban supporters.

I do know that his base is going to expect some action to be taken on the Religious Liberty bill that outgoing Governor Deal vetoed back in 2016 and on the abortion issue where Kemp had campaigned on pushing for the toughest anti-abortion legislation in the nation earlier in the election season.

I do also know that Georgia House Speaker David Ralston has stated that he is deeply uncomfortable with pursuing any type of hard-line social agenda that jeopardize the state's economy and reputation as one of the top states in the nation in which to do business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia