Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 11:25 PM

2 posts, read 13,571 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of moving to Peachtree City for the schools, low crime, and atmosphere. However, I have noticed that Hampton's home prices are extremely low, costing about a third to comparable homes in PTC. It seems there are a lot of foreclosures in that area. Did a big employer move out of the city? Did builders over estimate the growth rate? Why are the homes so affordable?
Info on schools, crime, and severe weather in both Hampton and in Peachtree will be appreciated.

Last edited by homesearcher123; 11-08-2009 at 11:27 PM.. Reason: correction

Old 11-09-2009, 04:14 PM

744 posts, read 2,481,397 times
One thing that may help you if you haven't already done so is to a search on a site called zip skinny (Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed) This site has all the data like crime , married, income levels etc that might help you compare the two of them.
Peachtree City's zipcode is 30269 . I am not sure what Hampton's is.
I will tell you that both places can seem to be in a tornado belt. Tornados when they happen ussually go just south of Peachtree City but Hampton has taken dirrect hits at least twice that I am aware of.

Last edited by Yac; 12-08-2009 at 07:44 AM..

Old 11-09-2009, 04:56 PM

2 posts, read 13,571 times
thanks. the site is very helpful

Old 11-10-2009, 02:38 PM

7 posts, read 23,155 times
Hi. Hampton is in Clayton County, which has been troubled by poor school performance and crime. The two, are of course, linked. Studies have shown that high truancy rates have a direct correlation to area crime. Although accreditation has been recently reinstated for Clayton County schools, it's probably going to take some time before the area recovers, because of the market in general and since many people rushed to move away from the area when crime soared and their children's education credits became ineligible for college qualifications. I've included a link at the bottom of this post that will take you to an article I wrote on the relationship between school performance and property values.

Peachtree City, on the other hand, has one of the best school systems in the metro Atlanta area. It was recently voted one of the Top 10 places to live...here's the link for more info on that: Newnan GA real estate listings and homes for sale, home buying, home selling information – RE/MAX Results – Blog, Blogging

Why are schools important, even if you don't have kids? Newnan GA real estate listings and homes for sale, home buying, home selling information – RE/MAX Results – Blog, Blogging

Old 05-24-2010, 11:47 PM

1 posts, read 6,110 times
Attention to jackie campbell, hampton it's not in clayton county. Hampton is located in henry county. Nd we have a very strong school system.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:54 PM

3 posts, read 10,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesearcher123 View Post
I'm thinking of moving to Peachtree City for the schools, low crime, and atmosphere. However, I have noticed that Hampton's home prices are extremely low, costing about a third to comparable homes in PTC. It seems there are a lot of foreclosures in that area. Did a big employer move out of the city? Did builders over estimate the growth rate? Why are the homes so affordable?
Info on schools, crime, and severe weather in both Hampton and in Peachtree will be appreciated.
You know the old saying, "You get what you pay for." It is soooo true. I have lived in Hampton for 5 years, and I would not move here again if I could do it over. The city of Hampton is run by money hungry old timers. You are limited to only one source of electricity, and they gouge you to death, and the property taxes are twice the surrounding areas. Also, the schools are not that great. It is very quiet, and seems have a very low crime rate though. The people are pretty nice, but the cost of housing, utilities, and taxes is just ridiculous. I have never lived in Peach Tree City, but have friends that do, and they absolutely love it. I would definitely check that out first.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:16 PM

1 posts, read 5,652 times
Peachtree City schools are top in the state, crime is low and many ammenities. Plus is very close to Hartsfield Jackson Airport and Atlanta. Hampton is further away from the city (and traffic on that side of town towards the city is horrible). Peachtree City is a much more affluent (I think it's number 3 richest in the state after Forsyth County and Fulton), but it will definately cost you to live there. Taxes and other city rates are outrageous and growing. But if you have school aged kids in Georgia, it's definately the neighborhood to consider.

Old 11-12-2010, 03:53 PM

19 posts, read 62,706 times
I lived in Peachtree City for 10 years. It is very family oriented. It's worth paying more for a house as well. Hampton is not going to be a good place to live when you go to sell your home. Peachtree City will. More people and more people are moving there because it is one of the few upscale places to live on the South side of Atlanta, but beware. Crime is starting to move down from the Riverdale, Jonesborro, and Clayton County. I am friends with someone that works for the city. They are starting to see more and more heavy crime. Hispanic gangs also have a very strong foothold in Newnan and they aren't just bored teens. They are organized, criminal enterprises and they are expanding into Peachtree City. I highly doubt the police there will be able to handle what seems to be coming. So real estate prices and quality of life could fall.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:30 AM

37 posts, read 112,811 times
Hampton is in no way, shape or form like the rest of Clayton County..
If I were not a city person, i'd consider moving to Hampton. I use to work with my father down there and the citizens are nice. The only drawback to Hampton is during the weekend when NASCAR comes to AMS, traffic can be stressful.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:35 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
I honestly don't like how isolated Peachtree City is from everything. I'd rather live in Hampton just for proximity's sake. It's not far from I-75.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia