Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 01:46 PM

11 posts, read 58,862 times

Advertisements

Contrary to popular belief, parts of NJ are very wooded and private and would like to know if we could find something similar in GA. We are relocating to the Marietta area and would like to find a home that has at least 2+ acres, is not stripped bare of all trees and is not right on top of the house next door. Also I don't want to pay any Association fees and don't need tennis and pools. Friendly neighbors are a plus, but I've been told that many people in GA do not like Yankees so if one town is more accepting than another, that would be good to know. I have heard Cartersville is a good choice and also Acworth and possibly Kennesaw. I would need to commute to Rome, GA and also possibly to Marietta area in the future. My wife would also need to find work in the area. Where would be some good areas to look? Thanks for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 11:30 AM

I sure hope something close to this exists.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:25 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,490,386 times
About all I know of this area is that once you leave the congestion of Marietta/Kennesaw behind it becomes more peaceful. Lots of terrible traffic on Hwy 41/I75 N.

You could research the area around Lake Allatoona. Red Top Mountain State Park is in this area and it is beautiful.
Here>>>
Lake Allatoona - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

<'Friendly neighbors are a plus, but I've been told that many people in GA do not like Yankees so if one town is more accepting than another, that would be good to know. '>

At last report 150,000 people move to GA each year. Many more transplants than natives.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:33 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
There's plenty of places that would fit your needs in Cherokee and Bartow Counties. The "don't like yankees" bit will be more prevalent in the smaller towns like Cartersville, whereas it won't even be an issue in most parts of Cherokee County- the out-of-staters probably outnumber the natives now....lol.

If you want to be convenient to both Cartersville and Marietta, you may want to look up around Exit 20 on 575- you could run 20 straight into Cartersville, and 575 to 75 to get to Marietta.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:54 PM

Thanks for the advice. I will need to commute to Rome for awhile, then probably to the Marietta or Ackworth area, this is still up in the air. That is what made Cartersville look good on paper.

More transplants than natives, not sure if that is good or bad, I would like to think I can get along with anyone, despite where I've been born or bred. I'll check out those areas. Thx.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:04 PM

162 posts, read 683,814 times
You may have a better chance finding your 2+ acres in Bartow county as opposed to Cobb County. Most developers are building more house and offering less land.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:09 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,034,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
<'Friendly neighbors are a plus, but I've been told that many people in GA do not like Yankees so if one town is more accepting than another, that would be good to know. '>

At last report 150,000 people move to GA each year. Many more transplants than natives.
Don't know about "many more" than natives, but I reckon its about even now. The 'mass migration' of transplants peaked in 2003 (I think) and its been on a general decline of a few thousand each year.

Of course the Atlanta area is going to have more transplants though, its a big city and cities always attract people who aren't necessarily native to the area - thats been going on since the very first cities, how do you think cities get to be so big anyways?

Old 06-20-2008, 12:12 AM

3 posts, read 10,807 times
Trust me, Cartersville does not have that "I hate Yankee mentality". Many people in Cartersville are business minded but live a more quiet lifestyle than other metro atlanta cities. You have the right idea about moving here since Cartersville has very easy access to many major cities around NW GA and even Chattanooga. Rome takes no time from here and yet and it only takes 20 minutes to get to Marietta when traffic flow is normal on 75. Atlanta takes about 30-40 minutes to get to and I usually get there on average of 35 minutes.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:26 AM

5 posts, read 19,313 times
Hi midnjn,

I grew up my entire life in Acworth and Kennesaw. I went to school at North Cobb High School and graduated from Kennesaw State University. I can't speak for everyone, but for me and the people I knew in the area there was not at all "yankee racism." (However, very unfortunately, there is still a bit of racism due to skill color) Acworth and Kennesaw and now even Cartersville are very built up areas with some expensive homes and lots of upper-class people who aren't backwards. There are still some houses and lots where you might find 2 acres in the Marietta/Acworth/Kennesaw area, but it's going to be expensive. For cheaper lots and houses, Cartersville is good. However, Cobb County School system is one of the best in Atlanta metro, and Cartersville is not in that county but in Bartow.

I know quite a lot of people who have moved to Cartersville because it is cheaper there, and there is lots of shopping in the city center. My parents still live in Kennesaw and I'm sure they will forever, and they have a beautiful home and wooded lot in a neighborhood with no association or rules, so it is possible. The others are right about the traffic though - that was my biggest complaint about metro Atlanta is the horrible traffic on I-75 and Hwy. 41 - both of which are the only ways to get to downtown Atlanta. Otherwise, there are many back roads to get to Marietta, but they are also heavily trafficked (like Stilesboro Road). The good thing is that you won't experience traffic traveling north from Cobb or Bartow county to Rome. If you're really a country person, you might also check out Jasper, Georgia as well. It's a long drive to Marietta, but the prices are still low and it's in the mountains. The Red Top mountain/Lake Allatoona area in Acworth (Like TakeAhike wrote) is beautiful as well.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:05 PM

100 posts, read 429,490 times
Cartersville is a great choice for what you are looking for. I live in Cherokee County in Canton and my sister lives in Cartersville. We are transplants from NJ. Cobb county (Kennesaw, Acworth, Marietta) is a bit too congested for what you are looking for. You may find it there, but it will probably be an older home, if you don't mind that. In Cartersville you can find new homes on larger lots and the commute to Rome would be a breeze.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia