Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2020, 09:47 PM

10 posts, read 23,695 times

Advertisements

I enjoy riding my bike and like riding the Silver Comet Trail. I live right nearby in Marietta. I've been thinking of retirement and changed my original thoughts of North Georgia Mountains to looking for a low maintenance ranch within a very short ride or drive from the SCT. I'd like to keep it close in enough so family from Lawrenceville doesn't have to head way out to Cedartown. So maybe somewhere along Dallas, Hiram or Rockmart. I checked city-data for Rockmart and saw that the crime rate is nuts. Very high. But the only parts of Rockmart I'm familiar with is the park by the trail, historic downtown and a little subdivision before the ball field. So - is there a section of Rockmart that is especially bad? Are you safe in certain parts of Rockmart? What's with that crime rate? Real estate prices looked pretty nice. Saw some nice homes. The thought of downsizing (and downpricing) is really enticing. But theft or violent crime is kind of something I'd like to avoid.

I've also been thinking of Dallas or Hiram, but don't think real estate prices would be much different from Marietta, so I don't think I'd be able to get into a significantly less expensive house in either city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2020, 12:29 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,916,180 times
Go back and look closer at the chart. The only category of crime that’s really high is theft, and it’s been on the rise since 2007. Theft is the broadest form of property crime and includes shoplifting. A super Wal-Mart opened in Rockmart in 2007.

And that’s what’s with the crime rate in Rockmart.

Old 01-15-2020, 07:34 AM

986 posts, read 1,865,214 times
I spent about 4 months in Rockmart, and spent a lot of time around the town at all hours of the day and night. I wouldn't worry too much about the crime there. Theft is the major problem there but as long as you take preventative measures (don't leave anything in your car, get an alarm system and at least a doorbell camera, etc) you should be just fine. Rockmart is a great little town with an active community, nice older homes, nice public green space, and a nice little coffee shop and other shops in the historic downtown area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia