Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2021, 10:43 AM

210 posts, read 454,869 times

Advertisements

(CNN) -- Last week, Georgia's Senate passed a bill 46-7 that would end the state's observance of daylight saving time.

If enacted, it would mean that Peach State residents would not longer need to prepare for "springing forward" or "falling back" each year. But they would also miss that extra hour of daylight each day between March and October.

https://www.wjcl.com/article/with-th...-time/35723086

Thoughts? This would result in such oddities as jumping ahead one hour while driving south from Brunswick to Jacksonville. Also, later in the article, it's mentioned that this would go into immediate effect if Gov. Kemp signs it by the 14th.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2021, 10:54 AM

7,352 posts, read 6,521,770 times
GOOD! If you want an extra hour of daylight, wake up an hour earlier!

Old 03-04-2021, 01:10 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,930,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
So I can do nothing before work starts? And then have less daylight once I get off at 5pm? If I were retired and didn't have any sort of schedule that I had to stick to sure.

The time changes get so much flak but they're mentioned for a few weeks in the fall and a few weeks in spring. By April people will have already forgotten about it and be enjoying a sunset after 8 pm.

Old 03-04-2021, 03:35 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,764,755 times
Yea this is needless and dumb.

Even if we ever do away with daylight savings, I'd much prefer to do it as a country. I don't want to be that odd place that sticks out from the rest of the country where everyone is always like.... except for flights to Atlanta, they're weird, they're an hour off... but only during certain months. Also, if we did it as a country we could switch to a permanent DST vs. permanent standard time.

Many of us travel frequently. Atlanta is purposely the home of a higher than average per capita business travelers. Not to mention the confusion this will cause less frequent travelers driving through our road hub or going through ATL.

Hawaii was fine. The switch of time never wan an issue and they are in a time zone to themselves. Arizona stick out like a sore thumb.

I'm a little curious why they are pushing this now. It seems to come out of nowhere.

Another problem is other states have expressed interest in ending the practice of changing our clocks, but many of them are proponents on a permanent switch to DST over ST. They wan to stay in Daylight Savings time vs. going back to Standard time. Some have passed or presented legislation on this, including Georgia. Many other Southern states, including Florida have done the same.

The issue is federal law that established DST initially left states an out to go back to standard time. To permanently switch to DST, which wasn't an original intention of the original federal, it would take a change by the US congress.

This current proposal should be scrapped. We should move together as a country, rather than create a checker-board of confusing time zones rules. If they really have an issue with this, they need to learn how petition the US Congress and get everyone onboard with the idea.

Old 03-04-2021, 07:28 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,255,101 times
Never going to happen. No way we move from the same time zone as the Carolinas, DC, NYC, and most of Florida. With technology, you don't even have to change most clocks anymore. Plus, all these people so bothered by a 1 hour change must never travel or vacation in another time zone. All the people from Atlanta who go to Panama City and Gulf Shores must be in a constant zombie state due to that 1 hour time change.

Old 03-04-2021, 08:46 PM

7,352 posts, read 6,521,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
So I can do nothing before work starts? And then have less daylight once I get off at 5pm? If I were retired and didn't have any sort of schedule that I had to stick to sure.
Then go to work earlier. If people want more daylight after work, then work earlier hours. If your job won't let you, find another job if it's that important to you. Don't forget, there are lots of people who work jobs that don't start till 11, then they work till 7 or later. Should we instead spring forward two hours for them?

Old 03-04-2021, 10:42 PM

3,073 posts, read 1,299,703 times
Wouldn’t the logical move to be to stay on daylight savings all year long vs standard? Why would you choose to stay on standard time in summer

Old 03-05-2021, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
That's kind of a facile argument. I could flip it and say something like "if you don't want to feel groggy when the clock changes, go to bed an hour earlier." But there's more to this than people's individual behavior.

Flight timetables, shipping schedules, Zoom meetings with out-of-state offices, etc. would be adversely affected should Georgia go it alone in ditching DST and effectively jump between two time zones throughout the year. GA employers would lose untold millions of dollars by having to scramble to adjust schedules and notify their customer bases with such short notice. Alternately, waiting until the "fall back" date would buy them some more time, at least, but ultimately just kick the can down the road.

We really would do better to ditch DST as a nation or as a group with neighboring states.

Old 03-05-2021, 10:18 AM

3,073 posts, read 1,299,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillemeister View Post
That's kind of a facile argument. I could flip it and say something like "if you don't want to feel groggy when the clock changes, go to bed an hour earlier." But there's more to this than people's individual behavior.

Flight timetables, shipping schedules, Zoom meetings with out-of-state offices, etc. would be adversely affected should Georgia go it alone in ditching DST and effectively jump between two time zones throughout the year. GA employers would lose untold millions of dollars by having to scramble to adjust schedules and notify their customer bases with such short notice. Alternately, waiting until the "fall back" date would buy them some more time, at least, but ultimately just kick the can down the road.

We really would do better to ditch DST as a nation or as a group with neighboring states.
Kemp can basically seal his fate on 2022 by signing this. Greg Bluestein just said on WSB he thinks it’ll pass the house 6-4 or 7-3 so it’s all in Kemp’s hands now. I have to think Delta and Coca Cola among some others will be in his ear over the next few days persuading him not to sign this.

Old 03-05-2021, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELMO45 View Post
Kemp can basically seal his fate on 2022 by signing this. Greg Bluestein just said on WSB he thinks it’ll pass the house 6-4 or 7-3 so it’s all in Kemp’s hands now. I have to think Delta and Coca Cola among some others will be in his ear over the next few days persuading him not to sign this.
Do you mean to say that signing it would guarantee his re-election loss, or vice versa?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
View detailed profiles of: