Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2021, 10:46 AM

651 posts, read 476,179 times

Advertisements

https://www.ajc.com/politics/georgia...DG5KLGHAB6NQ4/

Quote:
During a 2 1/2-hour debate in the Georgia House, state Rep. Kimberly Alexander said the bill would lead to voter suppression by creating hurdles to casting a ballot.

“Republicans in the Georgia General Assembly are trying to change the rules of the election here in Georgia, rules that you wrote, because you were handed defeat,” said Alexander, a Democrat from Hiram. “You know that your only chance of winning future elections is to prevent Georgians from having their votes counted and their voices heard.”

But Republican legislators said their proposals will build voters’ trust in elections after it was shaken by members of their own political party. Their policies would put new limits on absentee voting, used by a record 1.3 million Georgians in the presidential election, two-thirds of whom voted for Democrat Joe Biden.

Legislative Republicans who supported Trump’s claims have not contested the results of their own General Assembly elections.

“Our goal in this bill is to make sure that Georgia’s election results get back quickly and accurately,” said state Rep. Barry Fleming, R-Harlem. “The way we begin to restore confidence in our voting system is by passing this bill. There are many commonsense measures here to begin that process.”

The right pretty much admits that restricting voting access is the only way they can win any future elections. It's not even a secret or debate at this point.

Old 03-02-2021, 11:10 AM

166 posts, read 133,702 times
Hopefully the national voting rights act gets passed and takes down these BS 21st Century Jim Crow stuff.

Old 03-02-2021, 11:50 AM

154 posts, read 96,446 times
Where is ronricks and markjames who both fall all over themselves to defend every single thing Republicans do. I am sure ronricks will provide a link to some far right extremists group to show that this is actually going to help promote more voting on both sides. Where is the secretary of state as well along with Brian Kemp? They had a lot to say when it came to this last election. I vividly remember The Republican Secretary of State, Republican Lieutenant Governor, and Governor telling the media and the world and even crazed Trump that there was no voting fraud in either election. So with that being said and now these new voter suppression measures in place, it is safe to say that Georgia Republicans are despicable, racists, and down right dangerous. When their people awaken from being swindled, it will be too late. The nerve of them to act like they care about people and our rights. They only care about money and power. Wake up people. We are headed into worse conditions.

Last edited by atl2021; 03-02-2021 at 12:06 PM..

Old 03-02-2021, 12:43 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,931,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl2021 View Post
Where is ronricks and markjames who both fall all over themselves to defend every single thing Republicans do. I am sure ronricks will provide a link to some far right extremists group to show that this is actually going to help promote more voting on both sides. Where is the secretary of state as well along with Brian Kemp? They had a lot to say when it came to this last election. I vividly remember The Republican Secretary of State, Republican Lieutenant Governor, and Governor telling the media and the world and even crazed Trump that there was no voting fraud in either election. So with that being said and now these new voter suppression measures in place, it is safe to say that Georgia Republicans are despicable, racists, and down right dangerous. When their people awaken from being swindled, it will be too late. The nerve of them to act like they care about people and our rights. They only care about money and power. Wake up people. We are headed into worse conditions.
Absolutely spot on!

Old 03-02-2021, 03:17 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
Quote:
Well, I’m here. As there has been no meaningful proof of voter fraud according to Raffensperger I don’t see the point of this legislation.

At the same time, I’m not a big fan of ballot harvesting or busing people to vote who have zero idea of the issues or who/what they are voting for. Personally I feel there should be some sort of voting test for every voter (regardless of their party affiliation), but that wouldn’t be constitutional so it would never happen.

You seem very comfortable using the racist card, and I’m sorry that you have that much anger.

The best solution for the Republicans is to field desirable candidates who are centrist and who can win. While most of urban Atlanta will never vote for them, suburban Atlanta would possibly do so.

Now that the echo chamber will be starting up again I’ll bow out and let the participants trip over themselves calling 41% of adult Georgians a racist.

Old 03-02-2021, 06:46 PM

154 posts, read 96,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Well, I’m here. As there has been no meaningful proof of voter fraud according to Raffensperger I don’t see the point of this legislation.

At the same time, I’m not a big fan of ballot harvesting or busing people to vote who have zero idea of the issues or who/what they are voting for. Personally I feel there should be some sort of voting test for every voter (regardless of their party affiliation), but that wouldn’t be constitutional so it would never happen.

You seem very comfortable using the racist card, and I’m sorry that you have that much anger.

The best solution for the Republicans is to field desirable candidates who are centrist and who can win. While most of urban Atlanta will never vote for them, suburban Atlanta would possibly do so.

Now that the echo chamber will be starting up again I’ll bow out and let the participants trip over themselves calling 41% of adult Georgians a racist.
Interesting!!! So you want a test similar to this one: https://americanhistory.si.edu/democ...iteracy-tests? Smh, it never ceases to amaze me. The right had no problems when the illiterate helped Trump win and even delusional Brian Kemp. Now that they see their dominance and power dwindling right before their eyes, they now want “some sort of voting test”. Georgia Republicans are giving exams at this point (by implementing abhorrent restrictions to vote even though their party admitted no fraud in the last election) but it is never enough because every time they add new restrictions, the right seems to gets stronger and stronger. Instead of your party changing its message to meet the needs of the majority, your side decides to keep moving the goal post. How pathetic and unconstitutional.

Now, direct your attention to the word “racist”. Have you all notice that when the word racist is used, there are some who feel threatened by the word. He never denounced what his party is currently doing to voting rights but he honed in on the word racist. I wonder why? Could it be because he defends and supports a party that did this (https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b1783995.html) during an insurrection in which his people, who he associates with and votes with (birds of a feather), breached the Capitol building?

This is a perfectly written article that articulate why African American and minorities in general despise the Republican party and do not trust anything they say or do. We have been through this numerous times but they act like they can’t remember ish (https://www.chicagotribune.com/colum...114-story.html). The Republican party has a history of racism and so much more. Now don’t get it twisted, Democrats can be some evil, conniving, and spineless fools, but since we only have men in charge right now and not God, we have to pick one of the poisons. We chose the side that somewhat wants to help people in general, unlike the other side who has the gall to do this (https://www.wsbtv.com/news/georgia/g...LZLDHJVT2NU3U/).

Old 03-03-2021, 03:40 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,550,099 times
Quote:
This is a perfectly written article that articulate why African American and minorities in general despise the Republican party and do not trust anything they say or do. We have been through this numerous times but they act like they can’t remember ish (https://www.chicagotribune.com/colum...114-story.html). The Republican party has a history of racism and so much more. Now don’t get it twisted, Democrats can be some evil, conniving, and spineless fools, but since we only have men in charge right now and not God, we have to pick one of the poisons. We chose the side that somewhat wants to help people in general, unlike the other side who has the gall to do this (https://www.wsbtv.com/news/georgia/g...LZLDHJVT2NU3U/).
The New York Times: The election’s big twist: the racial gap between Republicans and Democrats is shrinking.

Old 03-03-2021, 11:09 PM

1,005 posts, read 729,188 times
It's no twist to people who have been paying attention that a segment of Black men have especially enjoyed greater visibility as Republicans, either paid to attend Trump's rallies or as silly as any other person who votes according to celebrities (Kanye West or Azealia Banks says so).

I'm so full of snark and unbothered. Unless the US stops jailing them for petty crimes while letting white killers chill at home and get off scott free, I'm not sure how long Republicans can depend on what still are very negligible numbers. On the other snarky upside, in a radical future called never, Republicans could also buy Black male loyalty by enfranchising imprisoned people with the right to vote. Lil Wayne and Kodak Black can evangelize for them.

Old 03-04-2021, 07:53 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,550,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seussie View Post
It's no twist to people who have been paying attention that a segment of Black men have especially enjoyed greater visibility as Republicans, either paid to attend Trump's rallies or as silly as any other person who votes according to celebrities (Kanye West or Azealia Banks says so).

I'm so full of snark and unbothered. Unless the US stops jailing them for petty crimes while letting white killers chill at home and get off scott free, I'm not sure how long Republicans can depend on what still are very negligible numbers. On the other snarky upside, in a radical future called never, Republicans could also buy Black male loyalty by enfranchising imprisoned people with the right to vote. Lil Wayne and Kodak Black can evangelize for them.
Hmm...you're one of those people who seems to think that prison is just part of the black experience. I don't know any black people that have been in jail. You also seem to equate the Republican Party with any perceived problems with the criminal justice system—something nonsensical and without basis. Sometimes you people seem to act like the Republicans are some omnipotent and conniving organization of people out to only inflict harm. Minorities and black people couldn't possibly be turning to the GOP because they actually agree with the Party's platform on things like immigration, taxes, or trade. They're just being "paid" or bamboozled.

Old 03-04-2021, 11:39 AM

1,005 posts, read 729,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Hmm...you're one of those people who seems to think that prison is just part of the black experience. I don't know any black people that have been in jail.
You don't know any black people that have been to jail. Nice, so very cool for you.

How can you tell me about "the black experience" other than just to inflame my sensibilities?

When you want further learning about the omnipresent realities of black incarceration in the US, here are a range of sources in the event that you scream bias. And before you say: "it shows that more whites are in jail," please doublecheck your population numbers.

https://www.naacp.org/criminal-justice-fact-sheet/
https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...-2018-vs-2006/
https://www.bop.gov/about/statistics...nmate_race.jsp

Quote:
You also seem to equate the Republican Party with any perceived problems with the criminal justice system—something nonsensical and without basis. Sometimes you people seem to act like the Republicans are some omnipotent and conniving organization of people out to only inflict harm. Minorities and black people couldn't possibly be turning to the GOP because they actually agree with the Party's platform on things like immigration, taxes, or trade. They're just being "paid" or bamboozled.
Whaaaaat? I won't entertain any of these ridiculous claims of you explaining me to myself from a clear-as-day post in satire. Republicans AND Dems are as culpable in supporting the prison industry as we are who use prison labor antibacterial sanitizer. But why does this off-topic and tangential accusation matter to this thread? To stay on topic, until the Georgia GOP courts enough Black voters to split the vote (so never, do I need to say this is not sarcasm?), any exit poll about the minuscule numbers of mostly Black men voting Republican is as unremarkable as saying the sky is blue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia