Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2021, 07:30 AM

7,530 posts, read 11,367,834 times

Advertisements

Can anyone explain how this bill will be more suppressive to Black voters in comparison to white voters who will have to vote according to it also?

Old 03-27-2021, 08:04 AM

1,005 posts, read 729,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Can anyone explain how this bill will be more suppressive to Black voters in comparison to white voters who will have to vote according to it also?
More than Black and white people vote so that question functions more as a provocation to begin a devil's advocate-styled convo. I think this link is useful, https://www.vox.com/22352112/georgia...-202-explained, in terms of talking about one-person one-vote power going on in the bill text. For GA specifically, the Democratic party is much more racially diverse than the GOP, so you can fill in GOP/Dem when you see "black" and "white" in the article, though that isn't an even science as well.

Old 03-27-2021, 09:45 AM

2,378 posts, read 1,315,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
People who think this is a bad bill are those who want unlimited voting at anyone’s convenience without having to prove they are a resident or even a citizen.

At the same time, there is a segment of the population who believed that the election was “stolen” in Georgia and that there is massive fraud at the polls. So this bill is also targeted at shutting them up as there was no proof.
This bill will bring confidence back into the election for all voters. I do believe there is evidence of election fraud and wished it was better investigated, but with bills Like this, it will put all voters at ease for future elections.

Old 03-27-2021, 10:18 AM

2,378 posts, read 1,315,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seussie View Post
More than Black and white people vote so that question functions more as a provocation to begin a devil's advocate-styled convo. I think this link is useful, https://www.vox.com/22352112/georgia...-202-explained, in terms of talking about one-person one-vote power going on in the bill text. For GA specifically, the Democratic party is much more racially diverse than the GOP, so you can fill in GOP/Dem when you see "black" and "white" in the article, though that isn't an even science as well.
It is funny how securing an election has become a racial issue. I guess voters aren’t able to bring their own water while waiting in line.

Old 03-27-2021, 10:25 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
It is funny how securing an election has become a racial issue. I guess voters aren’t able to bring their own water while waiting in line.
Bringing water isn’t the issue. In fact, poll workers are allowed to bring water to people waiting in lines. Not needing long lines is the issue, and if local election boards don’t fix them the state can hold them accountable.

But it’s made out to be a racial issue. Watching CNN this morning they spent 15 minutes straight on it (out of a 60 minute show) using all the usual talking heads. Wasn’t a balanced piece at all sadly. Neither is it online.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/26/polit...ers/index.html

“The lawsuit brought by the voting rights groups argues that Black voters are more likely than White voters to move frequently. As a result, they are more likely to change precincts and show up at the wrong one on Election Day, activists argue.”

Really? This is a chronic issue?

Old 03-27-2021, 10:56 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,639,254 times
The lack of ability to give people water or food is absurd. It makes zero sense and its only purpose is clearly to discourage people who have to wait in line.

It is so effing transparent and simple. Like a bad movie villain. Limit access points and length of voting period. Try to jam as many people voting at the same time at the same place as possible. Make it as hard for them as possible.

Absolutely ridiculous.

Old 03-27-2021, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
It is funny how the sheep keep defending the wolves.

Old 03-27-2021, 12:14 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinCali View Post
The lack of ability to give people water or food is absurd. It makes zero sense and its only purpose is clearly to discourage people who have to wait in line.
You can bring your own food and water.

Someone with you in line can give you food and water.

Poll workers are allowed to give you water.

Why the focus on food and water? I recall watching on tv that there were long lines on the first day of early voting (and for the runoff) but not so much later, nor major lines on both election days.

Was there a reason someone had to wait 5 hours in line that specific day? Again, for early voting. Edit - I looked it up - it was Columbus Day, so likely a holiday for many. That would explain it. Going forward, people will have at least 2 Saturdays they will be able to vote early, and depending on the county/precinct, possibly Sunday as well.

The logic given was that handing someone food, water, pamphlets, etc. could unduly influence a voter. I really doubt that it would, but this part of the law has to be based upon some circumstance.

Old 03-27-2021, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
You can bring your own food and water.

Someone with you in line can give you food and water.

Poll workers are allowed to give you water.

Why the focus on food and water? I recall watching on tv that there were long lines on the first day of early voting (and for the runoff) but not so much later, nor major lines on both election days.

Was there a reason someone had to wait 5 hours in line that specific day? Again, for early voting. Edit - I looked it up - it was Columbus Day, so likely a holiday for many. That would explain it. Going forward, people will have at least 2 Saturdays they will be able to vote early, and depending on the county/precinct, possibly Sunday as well.

The logic given was that handing someone food, water, pamphlets, etc. could unduly influence a voter. I really doubt that it would, but this part of the law has to be based upon some circumstance.
Why the focus on food and water? Good question!!! Why is it in there at all? What’s the logic? Why does it matter if my co-worker brings me chik-fil-a? Your party wrote this in the law. Why?

And no, you cant hand out pamphlets. Agitating/campaigning near polling places is already banned by law. Nice red herring.

Old 03-27-2021, 12:53 PM

3,661 posts, read 2,948,846 times
Other countries must be laughing at no id voting. Even the countries where millions are trying to escape to our border have voter ID laws.

Democrats think people of color can't find a DMV to get an ID. How insulting low can you get?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia