Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2021, 06:59 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,314,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinCali View Post
Sure!! Glad you asked. GA and other southern states have actively been closing polling locations in black areas and poor neighborhoods while leaving wealthy and white areas untouched.

Now that you know, how does that information change your view?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1VV09J

https://www.governing.com/archive/sl...ck-voters.html

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ut/1774221002/
I was reading this NPR article and it states polling locations being closed are across both racial lines, but it doesn’t affect white communities as much because more whites absentee vote than black people and that absentee voting is too difficult and confusing for people. Absentee voting or early voting is not difficult. It’s pretty simple. Not sure if Adrienne Jones is saying the black population isn’t smart enough to be able to absentee vote, but sounds like it. We do know the left believes the minority community are not smart enough to know how to use the internet, register to vote, and obtain a valid ID. That’s where the most significant of voter suppression claims come from. These claims are absurd. I was a cop in the Bronx for 20 years and pulled over tens of thousands of motorists who were minorities and the vast majority provided a valid ID. You need a valid ID to board a plane, to drive a car, to purchase cigarettes, and on and on, but no ID is required to vote? Insane!!!

https://www.npr.org/2020/10/17/92452...few-polling-pl

Old 03-27-2021, 07:09 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,314,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
What part of the bill is actually suppression or "autocratic" like the boycott GA folks are talking about?

From skimming the bill it sounds like they are standardizing voting procedures across all locations, if anything wouldn't that making things more equal? Requiring a valid ID to vote is just common sense, anyone who thinks otherwise is out of their mind. People are going nuts about not allowing food to be served in line to vote. That's such a trivial issue and anyone who is only voting for a free lunch should not be voting.
When this is the main complaint which was also brought up by Biden as being atrocious, you know the left has no legitimate argument against the bill. They just don’t want fair elections.

Old 03-27-2021, 07:53 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,638,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
When this is the main complaint which was also brought up by Biden as being atrocious, you know the left has no legitimate argument against the bill. They just don’t want fair elections.
I can post you multiple links that have shown multiple source say there was no election fraud. Including Kemp. If that’s the case, please explain to me why you need meaningful reform. Somebody earlier was talking about smart use of resources that resulted into poll stations being closed.

If we are so concerned about resource allocation, why spend so much time, money, and effort on tiny % of crimes that are almost always caught and punished and not on like I dunno. Gun violence

From 2018 - https://www.npr.org/2018/01/03/575524512/trump-dissolves-controversial-election-commission

From 2020 -
https://www.newsweek.com/gov-kemp-says-ga-fraud-claims-have-left-barn-after-trump-calls-his-resignation-1558140

The Heritage Foundation demonstrates limited cases of voter fraud and every instance is closely related to a conviction.

https://www.heritage.org/voterfraud

The Heritage Foundation’s database includes 1,296 “proven instances of voter fraud” out of the hundreds of millions of votes cast going back to 1992. Of those cases identified, 1,120 resulted in criminal convictions.

So how about you drop the pretense this is about fair elections. You will probably tear your shirt screaming “shall not be abridged” but voting, which is a lot more fundamental right should be abridged based on non-statistically significant amount of voter fraud.

Last edited by HappyinCali; 03-27-2021 at 08:06 PM..

Old 03-27-2021, 10:55 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,365,273 times
Where is the Jim Crow in this bill?

If this bill was only being applied to Black voters then the Jim Crow thing would make some sense. But since this bill will apply to all Georgians regardless of race then I'm not seeing the Jim Crow with it.

Old 03-27-2021, 11:06 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,638,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post

If this bill was only being applied to Black voters then the Jim Crow thing would make some sense. But since this bill will apply to all Georgians regardless of race then I'm not seeing the Jim Crow with it.
I already answered you. You did not engage. Just posted the same pointless question

Old 03-28-2021, 08:11 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post

You may not know this, but the vast majority of Jim Crow-era voting restrictions were technically colorblind; as a matter of fact, the Whites-only Democratic primary is the only one I can think of that wasn't. Poll taxes, property tests, literacy tests, grandfather clauses, etc. were all race-neutral measures on their face but obviously designed to disproportionately impact Black voters. Grandfather clauses in particular were enacted to prevent the masses of poor, illiterate Whites from becoming collateral damage in the Southern war against Black suffrage.

So yes, the tactics Republicans have been employing for the past couple of years are intended to work the same way as most Jim Crow-era voting restrictions did.

Old 03-28-2021, 08:17 AM

2,367 posts, read 1,855,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You may not know this, but the vast majority of Jim Crow-era voting restrictions were technically colorblind; as a matter of fact, the Whites-only Democratic primary is the only one I can think of that wasn't. Poll taxes, property tests, literacy tests, grandfather clauses, etc. were all race-neutral measures on their face but obviously designed to disproportionately impact Black voters. Grandfather clauses in particular were enacted to prevent the masses of poor, illiterate Whites from becoming collateral damage in the Southern war against Black suffrage.

So yes, the tactics Republicans have been employing for the past couple of years are intended to work the same way as most Jim Crow-era voting restrictions did.
What are the problematic restrictions in this legislation? From what I understood reading the bill, it sounds like every polling place will now have the same hours and procedures?

Old 03-28-2021, 08:39 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,353,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post

There are no Grandfather clauses in this bill. You are just throwing around the term ‘Jim Crow’ like many people throw around the words ‘racism’ and ‘white supremacy’ today. They are used and abused so often they have lost all meaning and are counterproductive to actual cases of such. Jim Crow died a long time ago. Just like slavery died a long time ago. It’s time to stop misappropriating buzz words just for the sake of using them.

Old 03-28-2021, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
What are the problematic restrictions in this legislation? From what I understood reading the bill, it sounds like every polling place will now have the same hours and procedures?
I think Time's coverage of the changes explain it pretty well: https://time.com/5950231/georgia-voting-rights-new-law/

Old 03-28-2021, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
There are no Grandfather clauses in this bill. You are just throwing around the term ‘Jim Crow’ like many people throw around the words ‘racism’ and ‘white supremacy’ today. They are used and abused so often they have lost all meaning and are counterproductive to actual cases of such. Jim Crow died a long time ago. Just like slavery died a long time ago. It’s time to stop misappropriating buzz words just for the sake of using them.
Something is seriously wrong with you. No way in hell are you a lawyer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia