Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 03:34 PM

3 posts, read 10,813 times

Advertisements

My husband is in the Air Force, and we are being transferred to Robins AFB. I have a daughter in middle school and one in elementary school. We are trying to decide whether we want to live in base housing or buy our own house. Ultimately, the schools will be the deciding factor. If we live in base housing, what schools will my children go to? What do you consider the best middle and elementary schools? Also, my oldest is a cheerleader. Is competition cheerleading big in the middle schools? Which is the best?

Thanks so much for any information you can share!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 10:07 PM

3 posts, read 10,813 times
If anyone has any information, I'd appreciate it.

Old 07-20-2008, 10:13 PM

23,465 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckmixon View Post
If anyone has any information, I'd appreciate it.
I suggest doing a forum search keywording 'Warner Robins'...there have been plenty of threads on here about Warner Robins and its' schools that I've seen. My impression is that posters generally consider the schools to be superior to Macon's, for what that's worth.

Old 09-09-2008, 06:53 PM

34 posts, read 135,341 times
I am somewhat familiar with base housing. They used to have off base housing through an independent contractor, then they closed that down - I guess it didn't work out as well as they planned (Hunnington Village). I'm not positive but I think on base housing goes to Warner Robins High School, but I'm not sure about the elementary or middle school. It probably works the same as everyone else - you have to look at the Houston County School map at Zone Maps of School Districts (http://www.hcbe.net/zonemaps.html - broken link)

Favorite elementary schools are lake joy, perdue. Favorite middle schools are bonaire, feagin mill, and mossy creek. Favorite of the majority of people are Warner Robins and Houston County.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:21 PM

138 posts, read 675,912 times
We have been assigned at Robins for 13 years now. We bought a home. Base housing at Robins AFB is privatized now. You'd be better off renting or buying. Here is a website for you. As far as schools, my kids have been out for quite a while. I'm no help there.

Robins AFB, GA Housing Relocation Information

Old 09-09-2008, 11:39 PM

1 posts, read 4,344 times
There's an elementary school on base, and I'm pretty sure there's a middle school on base as well. I never attended, or lived on base but I was friends with a number of base kids. My friends family ended up waiting until their youngest children were out of middle school before moving off base and into a home and sending their children to Northside High School.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:30 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,702,516 times
There are three school districts, segmented basically by south, inbetween and north...No disrespect to anyone, speaking from a DEMAND standpoint, the most sought after district is in the south. I'd also consider Bonaire...Staying on base may not be a bad idea to get acclimated to the area...I would avoid buying a house in middle unless you plan on staying here for a while, plan on renting out (and understand the risk that you may not find a tentant) or find a great foreclousure...Also I strongly recommend looking into Bonaire, it's one town over and about a half mile from the base's 2nd most popular gate...

Old 11-08-2008, 05:37 AM

8 posts, read 30,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post
There are three school districts, segmented basically by south, inbetween and north...No disrespect to anyone, speaking from a DEMAND standpoint, the most sought after district is in the south. I'd also consider Bonaire...
Yes, sought after by people with racist tendencies. Only now, it doesn't matter, because black people are moving south too. This above message was a direct slap to Northside High School, which is the school I chose for my kids to go to. Most of the teachers teaching in Houston county went to NHS. NHS packs them in at one act plays, football games and debate competitions because they WIN...consistently. Yes, there is a small percentage of economically disadvantaged people that go there, and yes, it is a title one school because of that,but does that make it a bad school? NO! My daughter graduated with HONORS and enjoyed every minute there. My son starts next year and cannot wait to be an eagle. If you want MASSIVE traffic congestion, uppity attitude, class warfare, snobs, lots of drugs, and fighting, then yes, Houston County High is the school for you. I know folks who have children there, and the cover ups made to hide what REALLY goes on in that school is amazing! Vandalism on cars in the parking lots, drug deals in the halls, sexual assaults...yep....you won't read about it either, because the big wigs don't want to sully Hoco's brilliant reputation. Have you ever driven down Hwy 96 after 4 pm? How about Houston Lake Road? Give it a shot. It will take you 45 mins to go to the base if you work there. My husband gets there in less than ten via Dunbar Road. Your choice. Bear in mind the number 1 reason people 'think' Houston County High and Mossy Creek, Bonaire et al are superior to the other schools, is the black/white ratio. Plain and simple.

Old 11-08-2008, 06:03 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,702,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnowzerz View Post
Yes, sought after by people with racist tendencies. Only now, it doesn't matter, because black people are moving south too. This above message was a direct slap to Northside High School,
You got it all wrong, I said DEMAND and did not say "quality of education"...

With the OP's spouse being military, uncle sam can tell them they're moving to another base at any given time...In the event they buy a house, you want the best odds to sell that house quickly...

Old 11-08-2008, 06:08 AM

8 posts, read 30,304 times
Well, we all know why the 'demand' is for....

I CHOSE the northern part of the county because I have WOODS in my backyard. I have no neighbors behind me, just deer and trees. LOVE IT. I have no traffic to speak of...only the Centerville folks returning home from the base via Elberta Road and Dunbar/Carl Vinson. Even then, it is minimal compared to the utter chaos on the southern corridor. We looked at houses down there and realized that the commute to work would be horrible. It has only gotten worse. The southern part of the county before you got to Perry used to be scenic and sprawl free, now it is ugly, slam full of cookie cutter homes with postage stamp yards. How that is 'desireable living' is beyond me. I love where I live. Quiet and most of the people here have lived here for a long time.

Back to the schools...I work for the BOE and I know the untold stories about Hoco. I just think it is pretty funny how the big wigs keep all the bad news hush hush, but heavens, get a kid from there to get a STAR scholarship and it is all over the paper and media!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia