Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2008, 06:27 PM

17 posts, read 38,685 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody!

I have read quite a bit of the posts, and finally decided to state my own situation as it is a little different from what I have seen. I would like any and all advice that you can give me, and I thank you in advance for it.

I am looking to relocate to GA from Maine and start a whole new life. I am 40, single (hoping to change that!), no kids (all set on that), and am a legal professional. I am looking to get out of the cold and to expand my horizons a bit because Maine is very limiting. I am very interested in Alpharetta, but am open to any and all suggestions. I am hoping to be able to find work in the area that I live in. I am not looking for a huge city feel as it would probably be too overwhelming, but am looking for more of a city than Portland, Maine. (If that makes any sense.) I do however want access to a big city for entertainment/cultural events. I am looking for a community that is friendly and easy to meet and make friends. I realize there is no perfectly safe place, but I don't want to be in fear leaving my home. I'd love to have a lake nearby, and of course a nice shopping area! I don't to see all concrete, I would like to see some trees around the area...I am used to a lot of natural beauty that Maine has to offer. I would like to attend a good non-denominational or pentecostal church, and preferably a college within driving distance as I am considering furthering my education. That however is negotiable - I can always take online classes, but I prefer a brick and mortar building. I probably won't buy real estate for a year until I know that my decision to live in GA is a good call for me, but I am looking for a place that has a lower cost of living than Maine. When I do buy, I don't want to spend any more that $150,000. That is enough for me..I am more concerned about my savings account than I am having a big fancy home.

I think I have pretty much covered everything! Tall order, but I hope it can be realized.

Looking forward to replies to see if I am on the right track.

LeavinMaine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 04:33 AM

22 posts, read 99,325 times
Hi there,

I do not live in Alpharetta but I spent probably about 2 weeks in the area earlier this summer. It does indeed sound like what you are looking for - I absolutely fell in love with it.... the exception is, it will probably be really hard for you to find an Alpharetta home in that price range(150). I don't know about condos though. But I think you can forget about getting a town home/single family home for that price. Again, I don'tlive there, just from what I gathered AND from searching on real estate websites. Oh and I don't know how easy it will be for a 40yr old single to make new friends... I personally don't know, but the impression I get abt Alpharetta is that it is mostly a "family with kids" friendly kinda community.

My advice - if you want to find out more about Alpharetta (or any other place for that matter)... use the "search" feature on this forum. Click Search, type Alpharetta, and read through all the different posts/threads. That's what I did/still do from time to time You will get a really good idea of the place and so when you need to ask a question you won't need to ask a question that has been asked and answered several times in the past already.

I hope this helps a bit. I wish you all the best in your move, and I hope you find the perfect place for YOU!

Old 08-11-2008, 12:23 PM

606 posts, read 2,005,258 times
Well you might as well move to Alpharetta. Most yankees who move to Georgia seem to move to Alpharetta, so you'll fit right in.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:35 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8325 View Post
Well you might as well move to Alpharetta. Most yankees who move to Georgia seem to move to Alpharetta, so you'll fit right in.
I dunno, we have a pile of folks from the midwest around us in Cobb. Including us.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:41 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,189,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8325 View Post
Along with Cobb, Gwinnett, Forsyth, Cherokee, other parts of Fulton (like Atlanta, Sandy Springs, Roswell, Milton, Johns Creek, south Fulton), Henry, Fayette, and Coweta. There is no one part of the metro area where "most of the Yankees" move. There are also many other transplants who can't be labeled as "Yankees" from other parts of the south and places like California and the mid-Atlantic states.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:45 PM

606 posts, read 2,005,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Along with Cobb, Gwinnett, Forsyth, Cherokee, other parts of Fulton (like Atlanta, Sandy Springs, Roswell, Milton, Johns Creek, south Fulton), Henry, Fayette, and Coweta. There is no one part of the metro area where "most of the Yankees" move. There are also many other transplants who can't be labeled as "Yankees" from other parts of the south and places like California and the mid-Atlantic states.
Well sure all parts of metro Atlanta has their fair share of Yankees, but certain parts has more than others, especially north of Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia