Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 12:38 PM

32 posts, read 190,023 times

Advertisements

Are Hurricanes a problem on the SE Georgia coast or is that just a big problem in the Gulf Coast?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2006, 01:09 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,477,547 times
For some reason, the Georgia coast doesn't get too many hurricanes, relative to Florida, SC, and NC. It may just be because of the short coastline - I'm not sure. The only hurricane to pass directly over Georgia since 1950 was Category 2 Hurricane David in 1979.

The Atlantic coast gets just as many hurricanes as the gulf coast.

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/img/climate...er/hur5004.jpg

Old 06-02-2006, 01:58 PM

Thanks for the map. That was the major thing I was afraid of about moving. I feel much better now.

Old 06-02-2006, 02:24 PM

jonw, check out one of the threads in the SC forum if you'd like more detail involving hurricanes.

just because there hasn't been one in Georgia for a while doesn't mean it can't/won't happen. There's certainly nothing stopping it, and if it happens you definitely need to evacuate. It's something you oughta be informed about and aware of, but not something to be preoccupied with, IMO.

Old 06-02-2006, 04:27 PM

1,088 posts, read 6,342,551 times
One thing the Georgia coast has over the other coasts is the barrier islands. Even if a hurricane did come directly at the coasts the barrier islands help to weaken the blow. The natural topography of the region makes it very unlikely that a hurricane will hit the coast but like somebody else said it is always possible.

Old 06-02-2006, 10:33 PM

Thanks for the info guys!!!

Old 06-03-2006, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxman777
One thing the Georgia coast has over the other coasts is the barrier islands. Even if a hurricane did come directly at the coasts the barrier islands help to weaken the blow. The natural topography of the region makes it very unlikely that a hurricane will hit the coast but like somebody else said it is always possible.

Interesting. North and South Carolina have extensive barrier Islands. Even North Florida, Virginia, Maryland and New Jersey have some.

And I wouldn't say topography has anything to do with the frequency or likelihood of a hurricane. It might affect the extent of the damage. Personally I think it's been luck of the draw.

Old 06-03-2006, 03:49 PM

1,088 posts, read 6,342,551 times
The barrier islands can only soften the blow of a hurricane. They won't stop it they just decrease the effect of the storm. I was only commenting that Georgia has barrier islands which most parts of Flordia and a lot of areas on the gulf coast do not.

The topography which I was refering was location and size of Georgia's coastline. The coast is much smaller then either of the Carolina's or Flordia's. This of course lowers the probability of a hurricane reaching land. The Georgia coast is farther to the west then any other part of the east coast protecting it from hurricanes. Hurricanes first start their creation off the coast of Africa. As they come accross the Atlantic they generally head in a direction that is farther south then Georgia. As they get closer they either turn north or stay in a western path. If they stay on the western path they will hit Flordia or go into the gulf. If they hit Flordia they will do one of three things, dissipate, move accross Flordia into the gulf, or bounce off Flordia and head north. When they bounce off Flordia and head north they won't hit Georgia because Georgia's coast is to the west not north. If the storm had turned north before hitting Georgia it is more likely to hit the Carolina's, Virginia, Maryland or New Jersey because they are north. There is a very small window for a storm to hit Georgia which is why it is unlikely.

It is much more complicated then I am making it, but what it really comes down to is hurricane's naturally skip over Georgia. In a way you are right. Georgia was lucky to have a coastline which is smaller and farther to the west then the rest of the east coast making it much less prone to hurricanes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous
Interesting. North and South Carolina have extensive barrier Islands. Even North Florida, Virginia, Maryland and New Jersey have some.

And I wouldn't say topography has anything to do with the frequency or likelihood of a hurricane. It might affect the extent of the damage. Personally I think it's been luck of the draw.

Old 06-05-2006, 01:54 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times
My understanding of it is that due to the size/shape of the GA coast, it helps to steer hurricanes away a bit north as they approach. A strong enough one heading straight-on though, I'm sure would still just plow on in.

The worst is Wilmington NC, which geographically just sticks right on out there and seems to be a magnet for the things. Savannah is a bit recessed and avoids them for the most part, but as someone else said, it's not impossible and could happen at any time, especially considering the goofy weather and climate changes earth has had lately (which the government would never admit to the public to avoid panic).

One thing is clear though - home insurance prices are going up A LOT among coastal areas, so check into that BEFORE you relocate - in some areas some insurance companies are not even granting new policies at all. Making sure you have proper "flood" and hurricane insurance if you do get it, is essential in any coastal area regardless of if it gets hit frequently or not.

Old 06-22-2006, 09:05 PM

2 posts, read 15,470 times
from what I have heard Georgia's coast doesnt get hit by hurricanes because it sits further west than any other coast on the East. Hurricanes hit Florida or the Carolinas before they hit Georgia.
My parents who have a condo on Jekyll Island said that the last hurricane to hit that area was over 100 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia