Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2007, 07:28 PM

283 posts, read 1,193,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
This is a personal bias, and one that may only be shared by locals who have nothing to gain from increased development. People are doing a disservice to any beautiful undeveloped area by recommending it to others on this site. That's the quickest way to destroy it.

Now this is entirely my personal opinion, and I'd say the same thing to someone who wanted to move to Montana or Idaho. It's close to unethical to assume that you have the right, just because it's a free country, that you can come in and plop down your McMansion in an otherwise pastoral landscape at the expense of other's traditional quality of life.

Now I know some people are trying to show off their love of nature and inside knowledge of great places, but it is also highly irresponsible.

And those of you who claim "well everybody's doing it," obviously didn't listen to your mothers back in grade school.

You might as well take a gun and a bulldozer and get to work.

That's my piece for the day. Love you all.
Well I definately agree that developers normally take way to much from the land and it's natural beauty. I personally only reccommend well planned developments that contain no less than 33% greenspace if possible. Development just happens to be where my heart is and I feel that if people are willing, they can build and live just about anywhere taking away miminal amounts from the landscape they are intruding on. I have worked on several large developments in the past and I generally work with upscale developments or personal homes for nature lovers. Of course in order to make money especially in when just starting in the business you have to give a little in order to build a business and a reputation of quailty before you can really say exactly what you are willing to do and still have people seeking you out. I find that most people want to have either a small amount of land to care for with plenty of greenery near by or want large acreage so they have room to rome. I haven't seen the specs for the neighborhood I mentioned going into the St. Mary's, Brunwick area in many years but at the time that the development was set be at 67% green space with many protected areas, parks and 2 golf courses. I did not work on this development myself but every development I have contributed to since 1999 have had lo less than 52% green space. The investors I was working with on these communities were always very satisfied with the work and many have come back to me over and over again because even though they aren't disturbing as much of nature's habitat they are able to place just as many homes and actually profit more than they would if they had completely filled in. Many, many environmental contracts are available thru government and public funding in place to aquire 99 year leases these properties ensuring that it can never be built out, as many become protected because these groups preform the neccessary site inspections to prove what types of animal and plant are there and need to be protected. In addition to these additional monies from possible grants; many developers find that HOA dues are actually easier to put into place that maintain the land and also protect it from future build out as well. I can not remember where to find direct access to information for interested parties but I remember first learning of this when Peachtree City, GA was growing at astounding rates back in the 80's and 90's. They may still have any information concerning these grants; although, I am sure they have since been updated and change from region to region. Been out of the business for 2.5 years now and have not kept up with the ever changing rules and policies since then. My interest has never gone away but I am concentrating on the Navy and my college degree.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2007, 05:49 PM

7 posts, read 27,143 times
Default St. Mary's

Being from the "North" we relocated to GA in November. Be prepared for a different lifestyle....the work here is non-existant, you will have to travel to Brunswick or Jacksonville for decent wages. The housing is definitely different than the north, it's difficult to explain, you have to see it and walk through the houses for sale to get a feel for it. St. Mary's is very pretty, but it's a culture shock. I am speaking from my own experience and I don't want to get anyone angry at me! We have also experienced the schools and they have a standard that is above that of NH - I never thought I would get a note home because my daughter who is in first grade was "only" getting a 79 in Math...

We have run into a few people who really don't like us "Yankees" Yes, they did say that to our faces, but 99% of the people here are so very nice. Get used to "Yes m'am and Miss...(insert first name)

We are moving back north, it's just not for us, the bugs, the bugs, the bugs and I've heard they haven't even arrived yet!

Good luck

Old 04-25-2007, 07:18 PM

20 posts, read 95,729 times
is st. mary's that bad i am planning on moving there. st. mary's is one of the few places that people do not talk about on the forums i would like to learn more about this beautiful place. are there opportunities to start your own business there and how are the houses there ? is it more for the retired folks or the working class.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:10 AM

8 posts, read 38,783 times
Default I just returned from St. Marys...

We're getting stationed at Kings Bay in St. Marys so I just returned from a fact finding trip. St. Marys is not for us, so we will be living 20 miles south, in Fernandina Beach, FL.

I thought the minuses of St. Marys were:
-lots of poverty (it's really still a mill town)
-no jobs
-affordable houses were not in good shape, nice houses were $400,000 for 2000 square feet--very overpriced for what the area offers
-very little shopping unless you count a dirty Wal Mart
-biting gnats almost year round make it difficult for kids to play outside
-nothing to do unless you ride around on a golf cart or want to buy a boat
-I didn't think it was "quaint"
-it's more swampy and there's no beach

Pluses were:
-close to the base (which had nice facilities)
-decent schools (low class size)

This is just my opinion, and I respect those of you who like the area. It's just not for us. Fernandina seems to have a lot more to offer for my family and is only 10 minutes from a white sand beach. I saw a ton of kids and families in Fernandina playing outside and supposedly the gnats aren't as bad. They have some beautiful neighborhoods being built up between Yulee and Amelia Island, which is just 22 miles from the base. For families getting transferred there, I suggest you compare the two IN PERSON and find out what works for your lifestyle.

Old 12-24-2009, 09:02 AM

6 posts, read 47,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMcNasty View Post
I grew up in St. Marys. You didn't mention kids but if schools are an issue, they are excellent. The highschool is second to none for sports, vocational classes (I learned to weld and a lot of automotive stuff and drafting), and college prep line of study (I just graduated *** laude from Rose-Hulman Inst. of Tech).

My parents say the housing prices are rising and quick so don't delay too much. My friend's parents are realtors, Pam and Scott Alexander (tell them Isaac sent you, probably won't get a discount but it will spark interesting conversation, I'm sure). I suggest downtown, there aren't really any "bad" areas at all, even if the government housing was a block away it wouldn't mean you need to worry about crime. The apartments however (like the pines) are normally horrible places because for drug related crime.

Seems right now people are buying up the old smaller homes, ripping them down and putting up larger ones. If you would like a golf course style community, Osprey if you can get in or Laurel Island (large homes at both). Any other neighborhood will have a range of home sizes, look at shadow lawn or point peter.

Downtown is beautiful and the small shops and eateries are great. Saint Marys is also a good place to base your boat for sailing the around the golden isles. Basically I would look at Saint Marys as a suburb of Jacksonville. You can also watch the TV show "My Name is Earl" and get that "hey, I live there" feeling. Though I must say none of the places depicted in that show even come close to representing anywhere in camden county.

Insider info:
The deep water access is all on the western side on the river, on the east side you'll only get marsh for a mile then the intercoastal.
You can boat to cumberland yourself and not wait/pay for the ferry, but you must anchor off shore (you were planning on swimming right?). Also, the horses that aren't scared of you should scare you.
Fernandina dredges shells up onto the beach to fight errosion. Ouch. But shark tooth hunting is easy as pie.
There is a giant bridge in Brunswick right at the entrance to the islands there. It is a nice detour that affords a view of the ocean if going down I-95 (look for an exit that says hwy 24/brunswick if going south or the brunswick/17 exit if going north and take that east and drive along the water) You will loop down to the water and back to the interstate up/down one exit from where you took the detour.
Seagul's bar is the after hours spot of choice for local politics, the younger crowd normally go to Jacksonville.
The cops are funded by drug busts and speeding tickets and actively seek funding from both at all times.
I am moving to St. Marys on Jan. 1st! I am looking to grow my business as well as build relationships with the lovely people of St. Marys! I am currently checking into residences and other opportunities there! Any and all help for myself and my 2 boys as well as I believe I have intrigued a female friend to move there with her sister & 2 boys! I visited in the past and loved the experience! I spoke with several business owners and companies about what I had to offer and was told I needed to bring the business there! I look forward to whatever help, insight, and etc anyone can help me with!

Thank you!

Andre

Old 12-24-2009, 09:04 AM

6 posts, read 47,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIFAITHE View Post
is st. mary's that bad i am planning on moving there. st. mary's is one of the few places that people do not talk about on the forums i would like to learn more about this beautiful place. are there opportunities to start your own business there and how are the houses there ? is it more for the retired folks or the working class.
Did you move yet?

I am moving to St. Marys on Jan. 1st! I am looking to grow my business as well as build relationships with the lovely people of St. Marys! I am currently checking into residences and other opportunities there! Any and all help for myself and my 2 boys as well as I believe I have intrigued a female friend to move there with her sister & 2 boys! I visited in the past and loved the experience! I spoke with several business owners and companies about what I had to offer and was told I needed to bring the business there! I look forward to whatever help, insight, and etc anyone can help me with!

Thank you!

Andre

Old 10-04-2017, 02:31 PM

5 posts, read 5,878 times
Default How goes it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oglebee02 View Post
We're getting stationed at Kings Bay in St. Marys so I just returned from a fact finding trip. St. Marys is not for us, so we will be living 20 miles south, in Fernandina Beach, FL.

I thought the minuses of St. Marys were:
-lots of poverty (it's really still a mill town)
-no jobs
-affordable houses were not in good shape, nice houses were $400,000 for 2000 square feet--very overpriced for what the area offers
-very little shopping unless you count a dirty Wal Mart
-biting gnats almost year round make it difficult for kids to play outside
-nothing to do unless you ride around on a golf cart or want to buy a boat
-I didn't think it was "quaint"
-it's more swampy and there's no beach

Pluses were:
-close to the base (which had nice facilities)
-decent schools (low class size)

This is just my opinion, and I respect those of you who like the area. It's just not for us. Fernandina seems to have a lot more to offer for my family and is only 10 minutes from a white sand beach. I saw a ton of kids and families in Fernandina playing outside and supposedly the gnats aren't as bad. They have some beautiful neighborhoods being built up between Yulee and Amelia Island, which is just 22 miles from the base. For families getting transferred there, I suggest you compare the two IN PERSON and find out what works for your lifestyle.

Thinking about accepting a position at Kings Bay....I know this thread is old, but just wondering how you like Fernandina Beach? We're in our 30's AA with a couple kids from up north if that helps any!

Old 10-04-2017, 02:55 PM

23,450 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnc20747 View Post
Thinking about accepting a position at Kings Bay....I know this thread is old, but just wondering how you like Fernandina Beach? We're in our 30's AA with a couple kids from up north if that helps any!
The last post from this poster was on 4/20/2009, so I don't think you're going to get a response.
Try creating a post in the Jacksonville forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia