Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2008, 12:47 PM

1 posts, read 3,332 times

Advertisements

I'll be visiting the Athens area in December and early January. Any suggestions as to things I should check out? I do mean anything. Scenery, restaurants, clubs, stores....etc. I am a 35 year old so I probably would want to stay away from the places the younger crowd would be at. I'm thinking of moving to the area, specifically Watkinsville(heard it's good if you have children) and I am trying to get a real feel for the area. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 01:24 PM

77 posts, read 290,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacha View Post
I'll be visiting the Athens area in December and early January. Any suggestions as to things I should check out? I do mean anything. Scenery, restaurants, clubs, stores....etc. I am a 35 year old so I probably would want to stay away from the places the younger crowd would be at. I'm thinking of moving to the area, specifically Watkinsville(heard it's good if you have children) and I am trying to get a real feel for the area. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated
I visited Watkinsville this summer (also thinking about relocating there). Not a lot to see in Watkinsville itself - the county was still much more rural than I was expecting (which to me is a good thing). It does have one little shopping area (grocery, post office, strip mall, some restaurants and drugstores, etc.) We were very impressed with the real estate available, although I do think you need to be primarily looking for single-family houses on a reasonably large lot. If condos/townhomes/apartments are more to your taste, then I think you would have to look to Athens.

I was also pleasantly surprised at how quickly you could get to Athens, especially the west side where the "big box" shopping and mall are from Watkinsville. I assume it's a bit more difficult during the week when there's more traffic, but compared to where we are now (metro Atlanta) I think it would still be fine.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:39 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,365,699 times
Watkinsville in Oconee county is still semi-rural, lots of horse farms out there. It is a lovely place to live. As you said it's easy to get to things in Athens.

Keep in mind Athens is a college town BIG TIME. I'm not a "bar/pub" person but they cater to the college crowd...it's their bread and butter.

I live outside Athens in Jackson Co. and go to Athens to shop. There are certain times you don't want to be in Athens...football day when the crowd is going to or from the stadium. During the game is a great time to go shopping the town is empty...LOL.

There are plenty of eateries but keep in mind that during the school year they are very crowed.

As far as sights to see in Athens, it would be the college campus, much of it's quite old. You are close to the "mountains" and it's quite a drive and lots of pretty areas. There aren't any "big" things to see there like a zoo or museum. For that you will need to go into Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia