Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 03:18 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,240,001 times

Advertisements

Not to bad for a bunch of SOUTHERN hicks do you think?

Old 11-09-2008, 03:21 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,777,094 times
My main interest is high school achievement, because that determines what universities students can get into. I wasn't talking about rate of acceptance into Ivy League schools to say the North has better universities, but instead to talk about high school achievement and what that means for higher education prospects. If you notice: Connecticut fairs worse for elementary school achievement than middle school and up. It has always been that way, and probably has something to do with where the focus is.

The educational system is definitely a mess nation-wide right now because of the "no child left behind act" and underfunding caused by the war. This has been sucking money away from already good schools that don't have as much room for improvement and thinning the coffers of physical education, art, and music.

By the way, that brings up another topic of blue vs red: WAR. I'm not so sure why the right is so in favor of war. It costs us a lot of money and sucks money from healthcare, energy research, and education. I was always against us going to Iraq, and now I'm in favor of us setting a strict time-table for withdrawal.

As a reminder: I used to be an independent, however the republican agenda has definitely pushed me over to the democratic side.

Old 11-09-2008, 03:29 PM

I'd say I'm to the right but liberal on a few issues but more to the right and I'm not in favor of war. I'm a Veteran, and I was against the war in Iraq.

I have an (I) after my name.

You need to check the voting record of those you voted for in the north and see how they voted on the war in Iraq.

And we have a lot of very good public schools here in the south. My grandkids rank very high every year on the national test. One even gets the Presidents Award. Both of my kids went to college even tho I didn't. It's not the schools that are all bad, a school can only be as good as the students want it to be.

You bring up money for education, we spend about $7000.00 a year per student in Texas but yet the the drop out rate is a round 48% for some of them.. You can throw all of the money you want at the problem but until that student wants to be there you are wasting the money. And the problem is nation wide, it's not just a southern problem.

And there is a problem in the health care system, but the government is not the best answer to fix it. If you think they are just take a look at FEMA. You would want you life in the hands of something like FEMA. My daughter is an RN, my niece is an RN, my daughter in law is an X-ray tech. So I do know a little about the medical field. I use the VA hospital and they do the best with what they have but I'd rather go to a private Doctor if I could.

Last edited by Houston3; 11-09-2008 at 03:51 PM..

Old 11-09-2008, 03:38 PM

235 posts, read 838,409 times
It is hard to know what the future holds for the 2 party American system, whether or not the 2 political parties' platforms stay they way they are now to an extent, and what voters in Georgia will do or not do. Assuming most the majority of those who are of minority groups (Hispanics and African-Americans, specifically) still vote overwhelmingly for Democrats in the future, and viewing Georgia's demographic changes by race/ethnic group, I could see Georgia becoming more "blue" in the future. Georgia is gaining more minorities in its population to where the white population will not be the majority, but a plurality in roughly 15-20 years (based on current census projections).

What may or may not happen is if the Republican party tries to appeal more to these 2 voting groups (blacks and to a less extent Hispanics), then, maybe GA will stay more "red." I think the white vote is still majority Republican in Georgia (outside some select intown-Atlanta and a few rural areas areas) though it has been a while since I studied voter behavior due to demographics.

Last edited by mmenomen; 11-09-2008 at 04:04 PM..

Old 11-09-2008, 03:43 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,402,897 times
Default Laughable

Funny Netdragon, as you are here to expound your Liberal speak and discuss how the evil right has dominated the past politic, only to be half saved by Bill Clinton, who by the way if you remove emotions and replace it with sound logic you will find many of the Clinton principals to be outright failures, which if not for the Contract with America (when Republicans were actually Conservatives) would have caused more issues than we have now. The best overall was the fake surplus, which was just smoke and mirrors of short term deficit funding covered by 6-18 month treasury hedge.

Anyway, the main reason I laugh is the fact you use the ALEC to supposedly back your stance again on how evil the Southern politic actually is in regard to bad conservative values.

The ALEC (American Legislative Exchange Counsel) based in Washington DC is a non-profit "CONSERVATIVE" think tank founded on Jeffersonian principals which expound better learning, by changing the education landscape back to the states and less in control of the radical left wing National Education Association. Their own motto is : Limited Government, Free Markets, Federalism. almost sounds Libertarian in some viewpoints, but very far from Democrat Liberalism.
Now, being I am what southerners call "Traitor" being a WV native, I like to us NJ as a wonderful example of Government Education gone overboard.
Lived there for 10 years and my wonderful wife is a native. Actually, I love NJ but have a hard time with Comrade Corzine. Ok, I'm drifting again, back to topic.
NJ, spends more per pupil than any government education system in America. Property taxes are chocking the general public with an average middle class ranch home paying in excess of 10,000.00 per year to the beaucratic till. Now, do NJ schools rate high, well yes and no. According to the radical NJEA, they are number 1 in graduation rates, touting the best teachers in America. The best education systems, etc. But when it comes to SAT scores, where only the select students who are "college bound" test, NJ still comes in at 37 out of 50. Now that sounds like money well spent.
So, I must say Thanks for using links brought to us by folks who were advisors to Reagan to make a point

Overall I like to debate points, being a Libertarian is fun as you don't have to get all emotional, just try to reason.

Of course as I am typing this I see the next topic coming to mind is WAR. As a Veteran I will love this test. I was against going into Iraq and viewed it as Neo-Con nation building, not to mention with a Armed Forces down to 450,000 troops (thanks to Clinton, the only elected President who Laid Off our soldiers, and his brother GW never increased) so that area we might agree. Now, when we went into Afghanistan, over 90+% of the American folks supported the measure. Last time I checked the south did not hold 90% of the population. Also, when and if you ever talked to folks from 9/11, I lived in Jersey at the time and my brother in law is a survivor, you may want to hold you lips before you spout the spew, as many a New Yorker and Jerseyite, still hold some go kick some arse feelings. So, with this did you ever serve in the military?

Ok, one last item then I'm off my soapbox. I will let you in on a little secret. Many a folk here, along with you Net should know that I am NO fan of the South and will be out of here at my first opportunity. Three reasons, I don't like the heat, I don't like the City of Atlanta, and I really miss good Italian food, but while I am here, I don't tell the folks how bad they are, how ignorant they are if they decide to be Republican, or that they are stupid if they think Shirley Franklin is a wonderful Mayor. That is their opinion just like you have yours. See that is what makes America great. So since we are getting into the season, Happy Festivus.

Old 11-09-2008, 03:53 PM

722 posts, read 3,316,211 times
what do you think made Henry county turn so blue this election??

Old 11-09-2008, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdiddy0027 View Post
what do you think made Henry county turn so blue this election??
Henry County went for McCain with 53.39 percent of the vote. Henry has also and still does have a heavy migration of minorities moving in from the Northeast, which voted nationwide over 90% for Obama. This would be my guess.

Overall, I would say by 2012 or 2016 barring any radical moves from President -Elect Obama I would look for Georgia to vote Democrat in the next election. Two reasons: The rapid migration of folks from Blue states, most who run from Blue / Big Government policy only to vote again for it where ever they go, and the fact that the census states by 2015 under current trend Georgia will join California, New Mexico, and eight others as a majority / minority state, which tends to vote blue in heavy numbers.

Old 11-09-2008, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
Funny Netdragon, as you are here to expound your Liberal speak and discuss how the evil right has dominated the past politic, only to be half saved by Bill Clinton, who by the way if you remove emotions and replace it with sound logic you will find many of the Clinton principals to be outright failures, which if not for the Contract with America (when Republicans were actually Conservatives) would have caused more issues than we have now. The best overall was the fake surplus, which was just smoke and mirrors of short term deficit funding covered by 6-18 month treasury hedge.

Anyway, the main reason I laugh is the fact you use the ALEC to supposedly back your stance again on how evil the Southern politic actually is in regard to bad conservative values.

The ALEC (American Legislative Exchange Counsel) based in Washington DC is a non-profit "CONSERVATIVE" think tank founded on Jeffersonian principals which expound better learning, by changing the education landscape back to the states and less in control of the radical left wing National Education Association. Their own motto is : Limited Government, Free Markets, Federalism. almost sounds Libertarian in some viewpoints, but very far from Democrat Liberalism.
Now, being I am what southerners call "Traitor" being a WV native, I like to us NJ as a wonderful example of Government Education gone overboard.
Lived there for 10 years and my wonderful wife is a native. Actually, I love NJ but have a hard time with Comrade Corzine. Ok, I'm drifting again, back to topic.
NJ, spends more per pupil than any government education system in America. Property taxes are chocking the general public with an average middle class ranch home paying in excess of 10,000.00 per year to the beaucratic till. Now, do NJ schools rate high, well yes and no. According to the radical NJEA, they are number 1 in graduation rates, touting the best teachers in America. The best education systems, etc. But when it comes to SAT scores, where only the select students who are "college bound" test, NJ still comes in at 37 out of 50. Now that sounds like money well spent.
So, I must say Thanks for using links brought to us by folks who were advisors to Reagan to make a point

Overall I like to debate points, being a Libertarian is fun as you don't have to get all emotional, just try to reason.

Of course as I am typing this I see the next topic coming to mind is WAR. As a Veteran I will love this test. I was against going into Iraq and viewed it as Neo-Con nation building, not to mention with a Armed Forces down to 450,000 troops (thanks to Clinton, the only elected President who Laid Off our soldiers, and his brother GW never increased) so that area we might agree. Now, when we went into Afghanistan, over 90+% of the American folks supported the measure. Last time I checked the south did not hold 90% of the population. Also, when and if you ever talked to folks from 9/11, I lived in Jersey at the time and my brother in law is a survivor, you may want to hold you lips before you spout the spew, as many a New Yorker and Jerseyite, still hold some go kick some arse feelings. So, with this did you ever serve in the military?

Ok, one last item then I'm off my soapbox. I will let you in on a little secret. Many a folk here, along with you Net should know that I am NO fan of the South and will be out of here at my first opportunity. Three reasons, I don't like the heat, I don't like the City of Atlanta, and I really miss good Italian food, but while I am here, I don't tell the folks how bad they are, how ignorant they are if they decide to be Republican, or that they are stupid if they think Shirley Franklin is a wonderful Mayor. That is their opinion just like you have yours. See that is what makes America great. So since we are getting into the season, Happy Festivus.
That's a great post there....thanks...

Old 11-09-2008, 04:09 PM

Default On a Lighter note

Get ready Georgia, here is what you will find if you decide to follow Northern Politics

Councilman Arrested for Peeing on Crowd | NBC Washington (http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Councilman-Arrested-for-Peeing-on-Crowd.html - broken link)

Old 11-09-2008, 04:12 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,777,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
So, with this did you ever serve in the military?
No, I would only fight to defend us against an all-out-invasion. I'm a pacifist and believe that fighting should only be a last-resort purely for defensive reasons. Joining the military would be giving me huge odds of being deployed (or in my case probably stuck behind a military computer) to fight for a war that I don't agree with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia