Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 11:59 AM

11 posts, read 52,391 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! There are some truly wonderful people on this board and I have enjoyed reading your posts. I'll try to make a very long story short...the last few years have been absolutely horrible in many ways and I'm looking to go somewhere healing, and kind, with good people, in a place where I can belong and see smiles and peace and feel like I'm finally 'home'.

My childhood was spent in NW Georgia, mainly in the Lafayette/Chickamauga/Rising Fawn areas...my family left when I was 8 but we still have family there (my favorite aunt and cousins) and we used to go up and visit until I was about 12, then we got mired in FL...ick...then at 18 I went back, to Rome, to go to Berry College because I love the area so much, but the grind of working for such an expensive out of state tuition all on my own took its toll and I had to transfer back to FL...spent la ot of time there, and some out west, all over the country lately and now stuck back in FL...am looking to make a move for ME for a change, not a jerk husband/etc. (ahem, long story like I said) and since the only place I ever felt truly happy was Georgia, especially the areas I mentioned, it seems--finally--like I've figured out the right thing to do.

I'm completely rebuilding from the ashes as they say, and need to get a car and look for a new job, and REALLY want to be able to rent a little house, not be crammed into noisy apartment living because what's the point?

I used to be a pretty successful writer I guess, and my stories and plays were always filled with the magic of the South, the sun-glazed days and dusky purple twilights and fireflies....I haven't written in a long time and I'd like to recapture that magic...

So anyway, I'd really like to know from people still in the area...is it still like I remember? Nice people who are kind and caring, quiet and peaceful, with loads of open space and nature and a real 'homey' feeling?

My dream would be to be able to rent a little house somewhere with a porch and rocking chair and swing, with a creek and blackberry bushes and fireflies nearby...I realize I'd likely have to drive into TN for a job unless I could find one in Walker County, but quality of life is first so I think you should settle on the place 1st, and go from there.

I am a very kind person who would do just about anything for anyone, and had the misfortune of being exposed to a lot of mean people, but instead of being bitter and sad I want to go back where I can love a place and feel at home and make friends with people and just be...happy. I'd love to visit the place in Rising Fawn where my beloved grandparents (who left the world too early) got married--I have pictures--and sit on the same monument at Chickamauga battlefield that my mom did at age 7 that I have a picture of--she got in trouble for wearing red socks with her Sunday dress--haha--and find the stretch of land where my grandparents had a tiny wooden cabin next to a creek and a river that i thought was the most magical place in the world.

I think you get what I'm saying...thanks for sticking through this long post!

So is it still that way? Is there a specific town you'd recommend for this best kind of rural living? Is it possible to rent houses like the one I described (my mom can co-sign if necessary). What kind of vehicle would you recommend I look into (besides cheap, haha). Is the job situation a pain? Well, it's a pain anywhere...

I'd love your opinions and advice, especially the positive (but true of course) and one day maybe we'll get to meet! Thank you all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 03:56 PM

Just wanted to ad that I am amendable to renting a mobile home too...though that would interfere with my porch plan a bit, lol. Anywhere with countryside and peace...thanks for any advice, I really appreciate it!!

Old 12-11-2008, 07:27 AM

100 posts, read 425,303 times
awwww sweet story.(and mean people suck!) Well, I can tell you from my visits to Chickamauga and that surrounding area the past few years(we're from Augusta). Is I LOVE IT! very pretty and very peaceful. We are planning a trip again to Chickamauga( hubby still wants to see the green eyed monster,lol) and Rock City in the spring. Last time I was there(end of 2005) I was 7 months pregnant(miserable) and of course my camera croaked and all my pics were ruined (came out blurry) but the area is beautiful. And everyone was super friendly. I would move there if I could. I am sure you will be very happy if you come back "home". Good luck!

Old 12-11-2008, 08:11 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,492,687 times
I think you can find some of what you want in NW GA. My friend went through some major turmoil, ironically was also living in FL but her problems started elsewhere and she moved to Toccoa, NE GA. She seems to be doing pretty well.

I've toured some of north GA and there is growth throughout the area --which is needed. We're planning a trip to Chattanooga and that city sounds like it has much to offer. It's nice to have fond memories but important to keep moving forward. I think I might consider living in/around Chattanooga.

The mountains are beautiful and I always feel better after a visit.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:40 AM

Thank you, lulu and Takeahike! I appreciate the advice and info. Lulu, I hope you get lots of pictures on your next visit! Old Green Eyes is pretty nice so I hear...maybe you'll catch a glimpse this time. I'm glad to hear your friend is doing better, Takeahike. Do you think it was the plae, or people, or just getting her own life? Always looking for answers...

Thank you both for being kind enough to answer. I appreciate it, and would appreciate any more information on the area or nearby areas from everyone.

I've researched like crazy and sent for relocation packets and all that good stuff in different areas, but it's still hard to find info on specific things like house rentals, and often jobs are best found through 'someone who knows someone'...etc. I am glad to hear it's still a friendly place....thanks for that, Lulu.

And good luck on your adventure, TakeaHike! Are you planning to tackle the Appalachian trail?

Although I hate the idea of getting on another plane (it has to do with all the tough times, I'll spare you) I suppose I could visit the area and try to impose on my relatives there...(who I haven't seen in 15 years!!!! What's wrong with the world today, anyway) to show me around. I'd rather drive and check out the areas...I guess a rental car is an option...who knows. I hate to impose on people...see, I've been out of the South too long! We'd never consider things like that an imposition...I miss the natural kindness that is as beautiful as all the natural beauty.

Not sure what to do first..visit, look for jobs...check out real estate...argh, I'm over thinking again. I think I'll shut up now and take more friendly advice. Thank you!

Old 12-11-2008, 11:19 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,492,687 times
I'm not planning to hike the Appalachian Trail--impressed/happy for those who do. I just go up there and look around from time to time. Realistically, there are some good things about living in this area and also some things that would be challenging to me. If you already know a few people, have some family that's a start.

Why not start a thread in the Chattanooga forum and ask about employment resources and housing?

People use Craig's List for houses, jobs and etc.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:32 AM

Thanks, TakeAHike; I appreciate the further suggestions. I;m scouring all over, most likely over thinking...sort of like hiking the whole Appalachian trail when you just really need to go admire a lovely part of it nearby.

Perhaps I can arrange a visit first since it's been so long...hope everything is going well for you.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:54 AM

313 posts, read 1,149,220 times
Misplaced Magnolia...love the name by the way...I can relate to it well as I grew up in south GA....for 19 yrs (born and raised) and lived off and on in the atlanta area over the next few yrs. It took me lots of moves for me to appreciate HOME.

I live in southern CA...and while I am maintaining and making the best of my circumstances...it is my biggest heartfelt desire to be able to continue raising our girls in GA....I am hoping and praying that my husband's employer will have an opening for him at their atlanta office so that we can come back HOME soon....to warm, geniune people who arent afraid to put their faith first, who automatically reach out and help without expecting how it will impact them. I am so grateful that I was raised that way to care for people and act out of kindness...because you are supposed to.

I am so glad you are finally at the point where you can get home and feel like you can make some roots for yourself. Look down in south GA...housing is kinda cheap and there are lovely houses with front porches and lots of land about. My hometown has lots of areas like that. Try Thomasville, Tifton, Cordele....Albany is my hometown...so maybe Sylvester...these are small southern towns....where you could have some space...and hear the bugs going at night...and hear the birds during the day and maybe an occasional crop duster...and it is peaceful...quiet...another world...that isnt caught up in distractions. I will pray for a perfect place for you to heal and renew.
God bless!

Old 12-17-2008, 01:40 PM

2,349 posts, read 10,657,750 times
Magnolia, when I read your thread title I automatically thought "Chickamauga" this was BEFORE I knew the rest of your story lol It's a great little town. So much so that if I were to move anywhere, that's where I'd settle. Yup, all of 20 miles from where I am now lol. I plan to do so in the next few years actually, but that's MY story not YOURS It IS still small and there's not a whole lot to do there BUT sit on your porch. Which is just fine with me and probably with a writer's lifestyle I assume. You can always come on up this way for fun. The prices have increased down that way but you can still find a nice little home for a decent price. Anyway, come on up, check it out. See if it's still for you. Meanwhile, do a search on Chickamauga on this forum and you can see some more stuff. I have a picture thread in here somewhere *looking around* We also have a couple of newbies who moved out that way, maybe they will chime in

Old 12-17-2008, 01:42 PM

2,349 posts, read 10,657,750 times
Here ya go

Chickamauga pics for ya'll :)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia