Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 02:02 PM

722 posts, read 3,317,166 times

Advertisements

A redneck is a blue collar, usually conservative southerner. The word Redneck has a bad connotation because rednecks can be racist, close minded, and very uncultured. However, in the south they're not always seen in a negative way. Often a redneck can just mean a down to earth southerner. I work at a restaurant called The Redneck Gourmet!

Last edited by Tdiddy0027; 07-01-2006 at 02:04 PM..

Old 07-04-2006, 06:08 PM

1 posts, read 2,283 times
Default Rednecks

i'm from Detroit, and i've found the folks here are fine (i've been here 22 yrs).

linda

Old 07-05-2006, 01:57 PM

183 posts, read 1,007,566 times
Smile Redneck

I am a transplant from Ct...it's been 10 years. A redneck was explained to me by my son-in-law,he's originally from Alabama. Here goes, the working class people would be driven to the farms in pickup trucks to work the fields...from being bent over in the hot sun every day, the back of their necks were sunburned. They would be driven back to town and go to the bank to collect their pay and the upper class society would say "they are the rednecks" meaning a lower class of people. They were not looked at favorably. You will find all types of people here, keep an open mind. There are good and bad among all of us. I hope this clears up the redneck mystery.

Old 07-05-2006, 06:43 PM

137 posts, read 739,583 times
I don't work for the BOE, but I've worked in several school systems here (both suburban and rural). The school systems here seem to seek out to hire minorities due to our changing demographics in student population. I've not heard any type of negative feedback from anyone working in the schools about discrimination. I've never heard any racial slurs, etc either. Good luck!

Old 07-10-2006, 01:50 AM

7 posts, read 53,999 times
Default 2 different types

Redneck definition from that of an african american meaning myself.The first definition in my opinion is that of someone whom is down to earth ,goodnatured but simple minded to the more sophicated and cultured things in life in the world ,yet happy to be devoid of such knowledge.Not a polished ,or well traveled pereson,but usually eager to help anyone if they can.Then there are the Renecks that are racist,bigoted,and are xenophobic.They once again pretty much never travel and are blissfully ignorant about culture,world events or anything else that is not of the local mentality.I dont mean to offend anyone but this is my personal opinion of my experieces with Rednecks.To Further elaborate i do have some redneck friends.Yes i know that sounds like a cliche and lame.

Old 07-10-2006, 10:41 PM

4 posts, read 14,152 times
I've lived in Paulding since 99. My wife is Hispanic and, consequently, so is my daughter. We have never had any trouble with the ‘rednecks.’ They are a dwindling breed in the South. Paulding is diverse and a great place to raise a family. I teach fifth grade here and the BoE is always hiring . . .

75% of the people in Paulding work outside the county due to low commercial development. This makes the school system the largest employer in the county.

Old 07-11-2006, 10:27 AM

18 posts, read 58,263 times
Smile thanks

Thanks everybody for all the good info.

Old 07-11-2006, 11:30 AM

954 posts, read 4,378,240 times
I just hate to see a good Dominican leave NYC. I am a white middle ager originally from the Midwest and some of my best friends at work are Dominicans.
Say it isn't so Bro!!!

Old 07-25-2007, 10:02 AM

6 posts, read 22,166 times
Default Rednecks

Rednecks earned the name because most work outside in the sun (farmers, construction, etc.) and their necks were burned red while their bodies remained lighter. They are among the best our country has to offer and most are hardworking and straightforward people who will stop to help pull the city folk out of the ditch or mud they got stuck in while looking for "a little place in the country". They are long on action and short on glib talk and pretension. Some like to drink a little too much beer on Friday after working like a mule all week for little pay on the jobs most city folk can't or won't do and can be close minded to new ways as they feel the old ones work just fine. Don't push them...they push back. Good friends...bad foes.

Old 07-25-2007, 10:15 AM

10,072 posts, read 14,453,980 times
I lived in the Atlanta area for almost 3 years from 1998 until 2001. I am from the south--TN--originally, so I know the mindset. So-called "Rednecks" are stereo-typically called due to their blue-collar work, their lack of overall culture, and lack of overall perceived "education." I knew many while growing up. These people do get a terrible rap, and some of it is deserved, while most of it is not. The biggest problem is lack of education. That is what you will deal with most in the south in general. However, that is not to say you should be afraid! Be yourself, and let these so-called "rednecks" think what they want to think. Just like in NYC, you'll be dealing with small-minded people, but just on a bit larger scale, unfortunately. Take it with a grain of salt and enjoy the south! There really are some great people down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia