Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2007, 03:27 PM

21 posts, read 48,592 times

Advertisements

Hello All! I am planning on moving to GA in the next couple of years to be closer to my parents. I am looking for suggestions for places to live. My parents are in Walton County (Monroe). I would prefer to be within a half hour drive from them. I am a young professional in a long term relationship. We do plan on having children some day so a nice family oriented community would be nice. I am coming from Vermont. I could do without this place but my boyfriend will miss the mountains and lakes. He would also prefer to be in a small town. I would like to be in a small to mid sized town. Someone suggested Auburn. Any thoughts on that town?

Thanks for the help!
Amy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2007, 05:10 PM

5 posts, read 39,113 times
Auburn, Ga has a nice website you might want to check it out http://www.cityofauburn-ga.org/.

If you can handle being a bit farther away from your parents, you and your boyfriend might both be satisfied with some of the small towns in north georgia. Probably not quite the same as the Vermont mountains, but the north Georgia mountains are beautiful and there are several nice lakes to choose from. You'd have to be an hour or two from your folks but it would be an easy ride on the interstate.

Old 05-19-2007, 07:32 AM

38 posts, read 141,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy84LYnn View Post
Hello All! I am planning on moving to GA in the next couple of years to be closer to my parents. I am looking for suggestions for places to live. My parents are in Walton County (Monroe). I would prefer to be within a half hour drive from them. I am a young professional in a long term relationship. We do plan on having children some day so a nice family oriented community would be nice. I am coming from Vermont. I could do without this place but my boyfriend will miss the mountains and lakes. He would also prefer to be in a small town. I would like to be in a small to mid sized town. Someone suggested Auburn. Any thoughts on that town?

Thanks for the help!
Amy
Both communities are within a couple of hours' drive of mountains and lakes. I my opinion, Monroe and Auburn are well-located between the mountains and the bleak nothingness of south georgia. You will enjoy either place, but consider 50 to 100 miles north to get closer to the topography your guy likes.

brodave

Old 05-19-2007, 01:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,020 times
Default Suggestions...

We lived in Auburn for years. Some parts are ok, others are not. We moved to New Hampshire in January and are moving back to Georgia - it's too expensive up here! It's beautiful but too hard to make a living. We moved from Auburn to Winder which isn't too bad. There are nice places to live in Walton County, including Monroe. Hope this helps!

Old 05-19-2007, 03:45 PM

21 posts, read 48,592 times
Thanks everyone! Yes, this does help. Lakeview: I agree; same with Vermont. Very beautiful but almost impossible to make a living. And the winters are too cold!!

Old 05-19-2007, 04:56 PM

38 posts, read 141,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeview View Post
We moved from Auburn to Winder which isn't too bad. There are nice places to live in Walton County, including Monroe. Hope this helps!
Ah Winder and the Winder cops! Too many years ago I was driving from a date in Atlanta back to SC about 2am when I encountered a very kind good ole boy Winder officer.

I was driving my '62 Corvair Spyder at my normal 15+ over the speed limit when I noticed very bright lights approaching from the rear. I assumed a Winder cop would be driving a 1960 6-cylinder Chevrolet, so I paid no attention to it and actually sped up to about 70. My car cornered very well (don't listen to Ralph Nader) so as I headed toward north I-85 I could go through most of the curves in 3rd gear, engine screaming. I could see the very bright lights getting a little closer each time I hit a short straight stretch of hiway then fade back as I maneuvered the curves.

When I came to about a 1/2 mile straight stretch, all of a sudden, there were the brightest headlights I've seen and the blue lights whirling on the rooof. It was as though a rocket car had been launched at the beginning of the straight stretch!

I pulled over, jumped out of my Corvair, trotted back to the police car as the officer got out of his brand new Ford Crown Victoria Police Inceptor. "What kind of motor have you got there?" I shouted over the roar of his idling engine. "We got this brand new poh-lice inner-cepter, boy! Whaddya think we had!?" "Let me see," I said.

So he got out his foot-long flashlight and we stood there, both the cop and I amazed at this huge 428-cubic inch engine rumbling before us. After a while, he said for me to go on, but to remember that he can catch me whenever he wants to.

It was really fun to be running through those curves with a cop behind me, but just FANTASTIC to get away with it.

Move there: the cops are great!

brodave
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
View detailed profiles of: