Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 10:03 PM

29 posts, read 140,363 times

Advertisements

This is a great thread for me. It looks like we will be relocating from Riverside CA to somewhere between Alpharetta and Grayson with work being in Lawrenceville. I'm basically in the same frame of mind as you DWJR!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2007, 05:58 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,211,667 times
I have lived in both states. Here are my opinions based on my personal experience....

Are the people friendlier? I think the people in Georgia overall are extremely friendly. That being said, it seemed more difficult to 'break' in or be accepted in the smaller towns in Georgia where I lived...Thomasville and Warner Robins.
It seemed to be a 'surface' friendly where everyone spoke to everyone else on the sidewalk, but not necessarily an acceptance into my group kind of friendly.

Is the food really that different? better? worse?

Again, I was in smaller Georgia towns and then moved to Fresno, Ca - so I'm comparing apples to oranges - but there was ALOT more variety in California...not only in restaurants but also in the markets.

What kind of things do people in their 20's do for fun?
In the places I lived in Georgia... two things. One was drinking and the other....well...I'll let your imagination tell you that one. I'm sorry to be crass but that's the truth. There was really no entertainment unless it was a church sponsored event or a seedy club on the back side of town.

What i the weather like?
I was in middle and south Georgia - the weather was hell - summer seemed far hotter than in Florida where I currently live because there never seemed to be a breeze. Fresno was also HOT!! It was 115 the day we moved into our apartment there. However, it was a dry heat so that helped. I didn't like the weather there either. San Diego and other parts of CA are much different of course.

Do most people have "southern accents"
YES!! Although as more people move in from other parts of the country - it is less pronounced. I grew up in SC, went to college in TN and graduate school in Florida. Then I moved to Georgia and people didn't believe I was from the south...they asked me..."If you grew up in the south why do you talk like a yankee?" I did have a slight southern accent - but NOTHING like the one they had. However, many people find it charming.

Anything interesting that you wouldn't mind sharing would be appreciated.
If it were not for the earthquakes, the high cost of living and the fact that all my extended family live in the southeast, I would move to California in a heart beat. It is one of the most gorgeous states IMHO. Georgia has beautiful parts - i.e. northeast mountain region - but California is like a rare gem with most anything a person could desire. One of my best friends has a cabin in the Georgia mountains where she spends the summers and a beach house in San Diego - the best of both worlds!

Old 11-22-2010, 07:57 AM

1 posts, read 2,380 times
Default Back to Cali and glad

If you have a different political opinion other than being a conversative, you will be singled out. I feel claustrophobic here. CA is expensive house and taxwise, but that's all and it does not make up for being unhappy in a place. I am heading back to CA after one year and look forward to the ocean and great climate. GA has been an experience, weatherwise it sucks except for fall. The summer is so hot and the winters so cold and dark, I never went outdoors except to and from my car into work and home, so a huge lack of Vit D can be a problem for many. Its been an experience but one year is more than enough for me. Heading back to Cali. The people are different and will speak behind your back as opposed to CA where they say it to your face. But its all good and many love it here, just not for me and it takes all kinds to make the world go around. I would not relocate to GA in a hurry unless you have good very good reason, maybe a job or kids here.

Last edited by rep1509; 11-22-2010 at 08:08 AM.. Reason: left out some words

Old 11-23-2010, 08:50 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rep1509 View Post
If you have a different political opinion other than being a conversative, you will be singled out.
I've heard this many times, but don't you think true conservatives feel the same way in a place like California?

Old 11-28-2010, 08:19 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,365,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post

Are they friendlier? Some would say yes, and others would say that while Californians are more in your face about not liking you if they don't, Southerners are usually polite to your face...
I guess this shows how people of different regions are viewed can depend on who you're comparing them to. I remember visting the San Francsico forums and a New Yorker was complaining about how soft he thought Bay Area people were in California. He felt that east coast people were more direct and to the point than the folks he had met in the Bay Area.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:06 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,365,273 times
I've been interested in visting California especially the Bay Area. It seems to be the coolest part of the state to me.

Last edited by Motion; 11-28-2010 at 09:17 PM..

Old 12-12-2010, 11:11 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,963,487 times
The weather is great in California but it comes with a price. It's not cheap to live in Calif. The food is great especially the fresh fruit and the Mexican meals. To me it's a great place to live. Now for Georgia they need to get over the race thing. The cost of living is cheap but them many of the jobs don't pay well. Every place has it's good and bad but over all I tend to lean toward Calif. You just can't beat the weather.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:02 PM

357 posts, read 783,545 times
never lived in Cali, but have visited. I'd recommend going to both SD and SF. SD was probably my favorite. abosolutely gorgeous! dont know if i could live there cause its too far from family....

Old 09-15-2011, 06:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,933 times
I live in Atlanta,GA and I have visited many different cities on CA. Foodwise, they are about the same in Atlanta and Macon, but I'm not sure about anywhere else in GA. In places like Atlanta and Macon, there really isn't very much of an accent. There is probably just as many "rednecks" here than in CA. I've lived here for 12 years and have seen just as many rednecks here(Atlanta) as in LA. Traffic is exactly the same in Atlanta than in LA and in San Diego. The team (Braves) is just as good as the Dodgers, and (no offense) better than the Pirates. The Falcons are on and off between seasons. One season they could be great, another they could be terrible. The Bulldogs are the same. Tech is okay. Overall, GA is the same as California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia