Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 08:59 PM

1 posts, read 12,466 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Athens, GA to attend law school and am interested in buying a house. Does anyone have any recommendations for areas of town that are nicer and safer than others? Are there any bad parts of town to avoid? Any parts that have more crime than others? I really want to be in an established neighborhood that is VERY safe, as I will be living by myself and want to be able to sleep at night!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 03:57 PM

1 posts, read 12,398 times
I would like to know more on Athens as far as crime goes.I may be moving there soon.I have not been able to find any real hard crime stats for Athens.

Last edited by Tyler72; 12-22-2008 at 04:38 PM..

Old 12-23-2008, 05:06 AM

125 posts, read 433,043 times
Default Athens

Just moved back to NY from Athens where we lived for 4 years...for a small town, imo, there is quite a bit of crime, but I don't know if it only seems that way because they have crime stories in the paper every day...don't get me wrong, I loved living in Athens and I do miss it from time to time...especially the weather, the University and of course, the sports..
anyway..we lived on the eastside off Whit Davis Road, which is off 78..we lived in the Woods of Habersham subdivision and had never heard of any crimes in our neighborhood. I loved our house and wish I could have taken it with me...lol...
Good Luck, I think you'll enjoy Athens

Old 12-23-2008, 01:44 PM

1 posts, read 12,370 times
I am from Athens, and still live here. Of course, there is crime, just like any city. I have personally never had anything happen to me or to my home/belongings and feel safe here with my two young children. As far as areas of town to invest in, the Normaltown/Boulevard area would be a great place to buy a house, but they are relatively expensive for this area - but highly desired and appreciate more quickly in my opinion. The east side of town is also a good place to buy for appreciation, and there are more subdivisions, there are some of the better public schools on that side of town, too. Hope that helps.

Old 12-24-2008, 11:57 PM

26 posts, read 65,841 times
My mom has been trying to sell her house if you're interested I'm sure she's willing to pack up and move to TX where she's been wanting to

I loved growing up in Athens and did move away about 7 years ago (still can't believe it's been that long) but I still visit on average 2 times a year for a month at a time.

There really isn't a lot of crime rates to go off of because of the University (in my opinon) but you do want to live on the east side or somewhere in Oconee. (East side of course would be SE of UGA...I know it's weird)

I hope you enjoy ATH and if you need anymore help, let me know. My mom is also the admin assistant to a pastor and can help with any transition

Old 12-27-2008, 04:42 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,571,263 times
Green Acres Subdivision.
Cedar Creek Subdivision.
5 Points and half-mile around that.
NOTHING ALONG HWY 78 WHICH RUNS ALL THE WAY THRU TOWN
Oconee County anywhere.

Check out Online Athens | Athens Banner-Herald | Athens, Ga. which is the local paper. they now have crime map.

Most of the crime is property crime by far with student cars broken into due to leaving laptops, phones, everything in view. When students are gone, apartment breakins increase.

If you have kids, ACC schools are poor.

Use commonsense. Most crime occurs at night. Have a peephole in your door. Change the locks. Have a locksmith install good locks.

You are more likely to get hurt in a car accident or killed riding a bike.

95% of the crime is from one group and it is crime among that group as far as violence is concerned.

Old 12-27-2008, 05:01 PM

63 posts, read 250,795 times
Good luck in law school - I'm also a UGA law grad.

I recommend Winterville, Ga. It's about 7 miles from the law school but with no traffic on the back roads. Great neighborly atmosphere and plenty of inexpensive housing. Little to no crime. I lived there for all three years and loved it. Very quiet and few distractions.

Old 12-27-2008, 08:43 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,571,263 times
The previous writer is correct. Winterville is probably the most pleasant place inside of Clarke County. However, it has no conveniences such as grocery stores and it has no bus line as do the Eastside neighborhoods mentioned. Athens has a nice bus system which in the age of pricey gasoline has its benefits.

Good luck.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:24 AM

1,303 posts, read 3,855,548 times
I lived in Athens for a while and really liked it.
It all depends on how much you want to spend and how close to the University you want to be.
You might want to check out The 5 Points area. It's the area around the intersection of Milledge Ave and Lumpkin Street. That area is very safe and close to the university.. I think the campus bus line even swings through there so thats convenient. The only downside is that it is going to be more expensive than other areas. 5 points has several restaurants (the best restaurant in the city, 5 and 10 is located there!), there is also an old fashioned Pharmacy and a small grocery store.

Another neighborhood worth checking out is Normaltown. Its out off Prince Ave by the Hospital and the former Navy school. You can find a very reasonably priced bungalow out that way and its only like a 8 min drive or less to downtown and the university.

The Beechwood Neighborhood is also nice. Its an established subdivision of mostly brick ranch homes
near alps rd and Baxter St intersection. It is very convenient to restaurants and shopping being next o Beechwood shopping center and about a 6 minute drive to the university.

Old 12-29-2008, 05:21 AM

125 posts, read 433,043 times
Speaking of the Athens bus line...It is free for UGA Students and UGA employees and is very convenient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia