Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 09:41 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,179,250 times

Advertisements

Hi guys. I relocated back to Michigan in April and finally found a rental home in Morley. I realize I'm far from GR, but I've been applying for jobs, temporary agencies, volunteer work, and seasonal positions from Big Rapids to GR without luck.

I heard about orchards that need workers due to the migrant workers not returning this year-does anyone know where that is? Which part of the mitt?

Also: Do you have to show a GR metro address on your resume before even being considered for employment? I wonder if my Morley address is getting my resume tossed in the trash.

Any suggestions? I've been applying for months and look up work daily on Mlive.com, I really like that site but have had no bites.

I figured the economy is shot everywhere across the U.S., might as well live close to the family. I've even been working on the family farm for gas money

thanks,
Kat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 10:19 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,856,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katlakat View Post
Hi guys. I relocated back to Michigan in April and finally found a rental home in Morley. I realize I'm far from GR, but I've been applying for jobs, temporary agencies, volunteer work, and seasonal positions from Big Rapids to GR without luck.

I heard about orchards that need workers due to the migrant workers not returning this year-does anyone know where that is? Which part of the mitt?

Also: Do you have to show a GR metro address on your resume before even being considered for employment? I wonder if my Morley address is getting my resume tossed in the trash.

Any suggestions? I've been applying for months and look up work daily on Mlive.com, I really like that site but have had no bites.

I figured the economy is shot everywhere across the U.S., might as well live close to the family. I've even been working on the family farm for gas money

thanks,
Kat
What kind of work are you looking for? I have to say I'd be a bit hesitant hiring someone who lives in Morley, particularly as winter hits hard after the holidays.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:37 AM

109 posts, read 205,565 times
Yes, location has a lot do do with things. Oh, your from way up there! Well, I already know of all the call ins related to snow, car trouble, ect. I can't hire you. Yes, you are correct. However, other things to remember, our metro unemployment numbers look very good, but how many of those are (1) part time (2) through temp?

I would recommend keep efforts in the Big Rapids area though your job options are not going to be is good. Another thing I would highly recommend is going through temp. Many places are doing this now and are not hiring direct. Also, depending on the line of work you are looking for can make a huge difference as well. Location is not so much an issue for temp services.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:02 AM

I haven't been placed through the temp agencies yet, I figured they were flooded with people and have not enough jobs to send us out. I've been working in admin/reception/data entry because that's all I can find.

I have a BA in Communications
MA in organizational Management (it's an MBA without the finance or accounting courses)
and my past career was a banker and in real estate.

It's a toss up of over qualifications or lack of experience with my degrees-I was wondering if living in Morley would have any effect.

I have on my resume willing to relocate and I always mention in my cover letters that we are relocating to GR but it doesn't seen to help my cause.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:42 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,856,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katlakat View Post
I haven't been placed through the temp agencies yet, I figured they were flooded with people and have not enough jobs to send us out. I've been working in admin/reception/data entry because that's all I can find.

I have a BA in Communications
MA in organizational Management (it's an MBA without the finance or accounting courses)
and my past career was a banker and in real estate.

It's a toss up of over qualifications or lack of experience with my degrees-I was wondering if living in Morley would have any effect.

I have on my resume willing to relocate and I always mention in my cover letters that we are relocating to GR but it doesn't seen to help my cause.
Hmm, seems like you should be able to find some communications jobs.

Communications Jobs, Employment in Grand Rapids, MI | Indeed.com

Don't put your address on the resume, just put your phone # and email. When you get to the formal application, then put your address. By then they will have liked you enough not to throw you out in the first batch. I've hired quite a few people over the years and when going through piles of resume's, I look for reasons NOT to hire people before I look for reasons to hire people.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:37 AM

thanks for the heads up, I'll try that this week.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:52 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,420,579 times
Are employers considering local candidates first no matter what? Even if you are willing to relocate?

Old 08-21-2013, 12:05 PM

109 posts, read 205,565 times
When I was moving and with everyone I talked with it is kind of like this: Employers want employees that are dependable and are likely to accept and stay with a job offer. What this means is they do not put stock in "We will mover" or "are moving" and only in your present address do they put stock. The only exception is high skilled labor where they cannot fill their need locally. When the job market was awesome in the nineties the would hire who ever they could. However, with so much more red tape and unreliable workers (as it is common for many new employees to quit after the first 1-3 months) employers do seek in their efforts the most reliable and practical potentials they can find, and often they now do have their pick.

Location does not ALWAYS mean everything if you have exceptional qualifications. Schooling it seems now days are thought of little and only job experience truly matters. Anyone with schooling should see if they can get job placement, even if it means going with a trade school.

Temporary services, by the way, should be contacted on weekly bases or more if allowed to always show persistence and dedication, however, balance this with not being a constant pain that could result in the opposite.

If you live outside of the metro zone I would almost be persuaded to use an address of a friend for applications. If a job is had, and when you move, or when you have established yourself worthy, than you can always change your address with person ell. It does seem a bit deceptive, however, it does take a lot of effort to sometimes get into good jobs these days. And actually, if possible, it would not be a bad idea to live with a friend in the metro, if possible, for very short stints for employment practicability and expenses.

Some things do make for rough decisions. However, there was a good book written about honesty being the best policy.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:51 PM

235 posts, read 536,455 times
I don't know. I got hired with a South Haven area address for a Grand Rapids job. Also, we were looking at applications for a posting we had recently, and didn't really consider the current location to be a factor. Probably because we know an overwhelming majority of people who work for our organization don't live in the City. We have a lot of commuters.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:57 PM

337 posts, read 494,857 times
I don't know if this will help you but I'm from Grand Rapids area and live in Seattle. I get contacted all the time for programming jobs in Grand Rapids, some are willing to let me telecommute (no way am I leaving Seattle). It just depends on the field that you are in. I would think that with a master's in finance/banking you'd find a job eventually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area