Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 10:40 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,850,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
I wonder if there are websites to look at GR voter data, and not just Kent Co. data? Also, does anyone think that as GR is 59% White non-Hispanic, that the 41% non-Whites of the city coupled with a few Whites make it the Democratic stronghold that it is? Or are MOST Whites in GR Democrats?

Edit: Just looked at this study, and Grand Rapids is actually less conservative than Yonkers, New York! That's saying much. We're talking Yonkers, the same Y.O. right next to the Bronx!
Most of the "whites" I know who live in the city of GR consider themselves progressives or at most moderates. If you want to try a litmus test in Grand Rapids, ask people who live there if they will vote for Walt Gustowski (very conservative) if he runs for mayor when/if Heartwell decides not to run again. It usually makes people bust out laughing. Even a lot of business leaders in GR like Heartwell, and Heartwell is about as bleeding heart as they come (but he also understands the city has to be pro-business/pro-growth).

I'd love to see Rosalynn Bliss (progressive democrat who is well liked) run against Gutowski. I think she'd win in a landslide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 04:11 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,981,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
I'd love to see Rosalynn Bliss (progressive democrat who is well liked) run against Gutowski. I think she'd win in a landslide.
Rosalynn Bliss never saw a tax hike she didn't like. She supported a parks tax that costs, among other things, roughly $4,000 per swimming pool per day for the 7 weeks the 3 stay open. Rumor has it that they're filled with Pinot Grigio, not water.

All her 'progressive' supporters (mostly East Hills/Heritage Hill/Eastown) are sweating the term limit proposition. She would be termed out.

Old 08-25-2014, 01:08 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,053,895 times
Quote:
Most of the "whites" I know who live in the city of GR consider themselves progressives or at most moderates. If you want to try a litmus test in Grand Rapids, ask people who live there if they will vote for Walt Gustowski (very conservative) if he runs for mayor when/if Heartwell decides not to run again. It usually makes people bust out laughing. Even a lot of business leaders in GR like Heartwell, and Heartwell is about as bleeding heart as they come (but he also understands the city has to be pro-business/pro-growth).

Which is amazing because people from Grand Rapids that I have met call it a conservative, church loving, Dutch Mecca. But then again they haven't visited the city in about 20 years. How things change!

Old 08-25-2014, 01:14 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,053,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
GR over the last 20 years has turned into a place that attracts a more desirable knowledge based millenial demographic (Believe it or not). As evidenced by the 18 month waiting list to get into market rate apartments in the core, and the hundreds, perhaps closer to 1000 apartment units being built or proposed to meet the demand. All you have to do is spend time in the city center or surrounding trendy neighborhoods to see it. The people moving to the city have a much more moderate to liberal world view. That conservative stigma people try and stick to Grand Rapids is the opinion of people who've never been there. Or negative locals who'll never see what's actually going on and reference 40 year old talking points.
Well I have visited the city more than a few times and have only stayed in the city center, but the presence of "trendy" neighborhoods doesn't really make me believe a city is not conservative, as I have visited similar cities that did lean Republican.

But considering that Indianapolis' Republican voters are less than 40%, and Indy ranks more conservative than GR, I do believe you. I just don't really think that a city can look necessarily more "liberal". Case in point, there is a small town in Indiana called Winona Lake that is very Republican but you do see some of the same "trendy" neighborhoods similar to GR (just on a smaller scale). I'm of the belief that people don't "look" liberal or conservative. If people saw me, no one would guess my voting record.

Old 08-25-2014, 01:47 PM

5,294 posts, read 6,060,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Well I have visited the city more than a few times and have only stayed in the city center, but the presence of "trendy" neighborhoods doesn't really make me believe a city is not conservative, as I have visited similar cities that did lean Republican.

But considering that Indianapolis' Republican voters are less than 40%, and Indy ranks more conservative than GR, I do believe you. I just don't really think that a city can look necessarily more "liberal". Case in point, there is a small town in Indiana called Winona Lake that is very Republican but you do see some of the same "trendy" neighborhoods similar to GR (just on a smaller scale). I'm of the belief that people don't "look" liberal or conservative. If people saw me, no one would guess my voting record.
I guess my point was not that the neighborhoods necessarily "look more liberal", I wouldn't know how to quantify that either. But rather what I was saying that over the last 20 years these neighborhoods have become more trendy and are attracting residents that are more liberal. Which when you interact with these folks you definitely get that feeling.

Last edited by mjlo; 08-25-2014 at 02:05 PM..

Old 08-26-2014, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
Rosalynn Bliss never saw a tax hike she didn't like. She supported a parks tax that costs, among other things, roughly $4,000 per swimming pool per day for the 7 weeks the 3 stay open. Rumor has it that they're filled with Pinot Grigio, not water.

All her 'progressive' supporters (mostly East Hills/Heritage Hill/Eastown) are sweating the term limit proposition. She would be termed out.
They were actually able to stay open longer than 7 weeks this year due to the parks millage, which saw pretty wide spread support amongst voters. I've been to Richmond Park pool many times, alas, no Pinot Grigio (I wish!). Have you ever been to a city of GR pool?

Old 08-30-2014, 05:22 PM

Quote:
They were actually able to stay open longer than 7 weeks this year due to the parks millage, which saw pretty wide spread support amongst voters. I've been to Richmond Park pool many times, alas, no Pinot Grigio (I wish!). Have you ever been to a city of GR pool?
A little longer, huh? What did that bring the per cost per day down to, maybe 'only' $3,800?

Old 09-02-2014, 04:02 PM

Quote:
A little longer, huh? What did that bring the per cost per day down to, maybe 'only' $3,800?
I don't know the figures. What is your point?

Old 09-03-2014, 03:33 PM

Quote:
I don't know the figures. What is your point?
The figures are accurate. That said, some might consider the cost of operating the pools excessive and unnecessary. By your reply it's clear there are those who don't, plus certain elected officials who are really good at spending other people's money.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:26 AM

Quote:
The figures are accurate. That said, some might consider the cost of operating the pools excessive and unnecessary. By your reply it's clear there are those who don't, plus certain elected officials who are really good at spending other people's money.
There might be some elected officials who do, but considering the city is operating on a shoestring budget and staying solvent, I think a little extra money for an amenity that is keeping those neighborhoods alive and keeping kids off the streets all summer is not a bad thing. No?

This is way off topic anyway.

Last edited by magellan; 09-04-2014 at 08:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area