Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 01:51 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,981,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Ditto Detroit and Chicago combined...and combine those two CSA's and you have about 16 million. Like I pointed out before, the South does not yet have an area where there exist at lest 10 million people in a 100 mile radius. The Midwest has two....one centered at Chicago and the other centered at Detroit (which includes areas of Canada)...and the population do not overlap.
10 million within 100 miles of Detroit? Tell me how that works including Canada which really isn't relevant to this US centric discussion. Toronto certainly doesn't fall in it. Cleveland? It's 170 miles by car.

Chicago to Detroit is almost 60 miles FURTHER than Dallas to Houston and nearly 100 miles further than San Antonio to Houston.

The operative word is 'yet' and it's clear from the trends that southern and western states have been (and will be) leaving northern states in their dust when it comes to jobs and population growth. TX is what, up to 25 million now? Michigan will continue to drop in population ranking (NC just surpassed MI) but it will remain a lovely vacation destination and inexpensive place for 2nd home Chicagoan's for 4 months a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 03:49 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,850,381 times
I think Grand Rapids will come in at 199,110 in the 2014 estimate. Not sure how Texas got in the room, but it stinks like cattle and oil.

American FactFinder - Results

Old 05-19-2015, 05:41 PM

5,294 posts, read 6,060,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
I think Grand Rapids will come in at 199,110 in the 2014 estimate. Not sure how Texas got in the room, but it stinks like cattle and oil.

American FactFinder - Results
That's a really ambitious estimate. I'm not sure if its sarcasm or optimism I think right around 194k is my estimate.

Old 05-19-2015, 06:41 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,850,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
That's a really ambitious estimate. I'm not sure if its sarcasm or optimism I think right around 194k is my estimate.
No i think population has spiked. Rental vacancy is non existent, more gvsu students living in the city, i think it will all add up to a 6000 - 7000 jump.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:03 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,704,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
10 million within 100 miles of Detroit? Tell me how that works including Canada which really isn't relevant to this US centric discussion. Toronto certainly doesn't fall in it. Cleveland? It's 170 miles by car.

Chicago to Detroit is almost 60 miles FURTHER than Dallas to Houston and nearly 100 miles further than San Antonio to Houston.

The operative word is 'yet' and it's clear from the trends that southern and western states have been (and will be) leaving northern states in their dust when it comes to jobs and population growth. TX is what, up to 25 million now? Michigan will continue to drop in population ranking (NC just surpassed MI) but it will remain a lovely vacation destination and inexpensive place for 2nd home Chicagoan's for 4 months a year.
Yep....you can get 10 million in a 100 mile radius of Detroit. You can get 9.7 million in a 100 mile radius of Lansing Michigan

Here is the data for Detroit and the components of those totals. Note the 2012 estimates adjustments at the top. The count is 9.5 million...which excludes the Canada portion of the Detroit area.

100-mile radius of 48201 Midtown Detroit
Post-Census Population Estimate and Projection Figures [1]
Population for Jan. 1, 2007 estimated to be 9,509,515 persons.
Population for Jan. 1, 2012 projected to be 9,565,326 persons.

MCDC Demographic Profile 3, 2000 Census - 100-mile radius of 48201

100-mile radius of 48911 Downtown Lansing MI
Post-Census Population Estimate and Projection Figures [1]
Population for Jan. 1, 2007 estimated to be 9,890,532 persons.
Population for Jan. 1, 2012 projected to be 10,048,452 persons.

http://mcdc2.missouri.edu/cgi-bin/br...ops=on&_debug=

Old 05-21-2015, 06:51 AM

Momentum is shifting upwards, still Grand Rapids only (I shouldn't say "only" as it was the second largest gain in the state and outpaced many of it's out of state peers) gained 1,333 residents according to estimates. However as i've stated before there's a good chance the census bureau is being conservative because of the 2000's population trends. In terms of a surged I'd say there's a strong chance 2015 will show it with an even larger number of new units coming online and continued momentum. More single unit houses are being renovated and surging in the neighborhoods as well.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:55 AM

447 posts, read 495,873 times
Quote:
Momentum is shifting upwards, still Grand Rapids only (I shouldn't say "only" as it was the second largest gain in the state and outpaced many of it's out of state peers) gained 1,333 residents according to estimates. However, as I've stated before there's a good chance the census bureau is being conservative because of the 2000's population trends. In terms of a surged I'd say there's a strong chance 2015 will show it with an even larger number of new units coming online and continued momentum. More single unit houses are being renovated and surging in the neighborhoods as well.
One of the down sides of city neighborhoods being gentrified and the homes in the those neighborhoods being renovated, is that they can actually lose population. 60 years ago, when people fled to the suburbs, they condemned their large city homes to the fate of being divided into apartments. With people moving back to the city and converting these houses back to single family, owner occupied homes, we end up with more vibrant neighborhoods, but with less people........ie I have seen houses that had 3 apartments with 12 people living in it here in Kalamazoo, get converted back to single family with only 3 people living in it.

With gentrification also comes new construction, but it is going to take a lot to replace the numbers that are lost when an apartment house is converted back to single family. I think that GR is doing well here as there are other areas within the city for the displaced to move to, and that is one reason why their population is rising so fast. Build more apartment complexes within the city and it's population will really take off.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernwilly View Post
One of the down sides of city neighborhoods being gentrified and the homes in the those neighborhoods being renovated, is that they can actually lose population. 60 years ago, when people fled to the suburbs, they condemned their large city homes to the fate of being divided into apartments. With people moving back to the city and converting these houses back to single family, owner occupied homes, we end up with more vibrant neighborhoods, but with less people........ie I have seen houses that had 3 apartments with 12 people living in it here in Kalamazoo, get converted back to single family with only 3 people living in it.

With gentrification also comes new construction, but it is going to take a lot to replace the numbers that are lost when an apartment house is converted back to single family. I think that GR is doing well here as there are other areas within the city for the displaced to move to, and that is one reason why their population is rising so fast. Build more apartment complexes within the city and it's population will really take off.
Another thing is that there seems to be a national trend to open as many suburbs as possible to subsidized housing, such as section 8. This provides an outlet to people who were previously economically confined to inner-cities which are now in demand by the gentry. Piggy backing off what you said, with gentrification you are replacing a demographic with a larger household size with a demographic with a smaller household size, especially with the growth of the GLBT community and their smaller household size.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:32 AM

I have not seen too many multi-unit homes in Grand Rapids converted back into single unit structures. I don't have any numbers to confirm one way or another. The rental market in the city is so hot, most multi-unit structures that I have seen have been bought by investors and then fully updated as multi-unit properties. The majority of homes I am talking about are single family. Also with the demand to live in the city we are seeing a great number of vacant properties and lots being built on. As the numbers reflect the city is seeing an increase in density, the opposite of a thinning family size.

Look at the proposed development on Eastern (can't remember the exact details) a developer buying up a number of single family homes to build a 78 unit housing development in a neighborhood long written off. With gentrification can come lower density, but this is clearly not the case. Demand to live in the city is just too high.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:08 AM

Quote:
I have not seen too many multi-unit homes in Grand Rapids converted back into single unit structures. I don't have any numbers to confirm one way or another. The rental market in the city is so hot, most multi-unit structures that I have seen have been bought by investors and then fully updated as multi-unit properties. The majority of homes I am talking about are single family. Also with the demand to live in the city we are seeing a great number of vacant properties and lots being built on. As the numbers reflect the city is seeing an increase in density, the opposite of a thinning family size.

Look at the proposed development on Eastern (can't remember the exact details) a developer buying up a number of single family homes to build a 78 unit housing development in a neighborhood long written off. With gentrification can come lower density, but this is clearly not the case. Demand to live in the city is just too high.
I think GR is losing a lot of minorities (well...at least blacks) though....to the suburbs and out of state. I might be wrong.....though. I know that is the case in Detroit, Flint and other areas in the state. If they were staying and all the new residents moving in, then you would see the population swell to near 200k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area