Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 05:00 AM

5,294 posts, read 6,060,659 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2016, 07:10 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,852,535 times

Old 10-31-2016, 07:42 AM

Great Shot! I haven't seen a 2016 update of the skyline. That is by far my favorite view of the city, over the "look at our 3 buildings" marquee riverfront shot. It's funny how the Plaza Towers conceal both Venue tower and 20 Fulton from that angle. What kind of camera did you use for that?

Old 10-31-2016, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Great Shot! I haven't seen a 2016 update of the skyline. That is by far my favorite view of the city, over the "look at our 3 buildings" marquee riverfront shot. It's funny how the Plaza Towers conceal both Venue tower and 20 Fulton from that angle. What kind of camera did you use for that?
Nikon D5300. Thanks!

I think because of where you have to go to get this picture, fewer people know about the spot (and are leery of going there).

The 42 story tower will be visible just over Plaza Towers once it's built.

Old 11-01-2016, 04:41 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
Mount Mercy area? We watched fireworks over the Grand River from there pretty often when I was a kid- nice quiet neighborhood with great sight lines for the show and pretty much no traffic to deal with when it was over.

Old 11-01-2016, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Mount Mercy area? We watched fireworks over the Grand River from there pretty often when I was a kid- nice quiet neighborhood with great sight lines for the show and pretty much no traffic to deal with when it was over.
Sort of. You can't really see downtown from Mt Mercy anymore. The App family owns the one house that overlooks the valley but it's for sale if you want to buy it.

1353 Bridge Street NW, Grand Rapids, MI 49504

The shot I took was was taken from Sunset Street, which suns South off of Bridge across the street.

Old 02-08-2017, 09:06 AM

284 posts, read 1,016,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
The shot I took was was taken from Sunset Street, which suns South off of Bridge across the street.
I really wish the city would make a public lookout point with this view. Maybe a little park or even just a parking area. It's the best view of the city by far! Great shot of it too!

Old 10-30-2017, 12:55 PM

733 posts, read 1,756,201 times
The city pictures are great! Keep the scenery pictures coming though. Grand Rapids is a strong possibility for my next and final move as I'm a huge hockey and NASCAR fan. However, my one concern is that there may not be enough hiking and scenery for me as I'm also a HUGE fan of nature. Eventually I'll make a trip to see for myself what kind of a nature scene the area has, but for now I'm looking for pictures.

Old 10-30-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkern1989 View Post
The city pictures are great! Keep the scenery pictures coming though. Grand Rapids is a strong possibility for my next and final move as I'm a huge hockey and NASCAR fan. However, my one concern is that there may not be enough hiking and scenery for me as I'm also a HUGE fan of nature. Eventually I'll make a trip to see for myself what kind of a nature scene the area has, but for now I'm looking for pictures.
You should start a thread to ask about this. There's a vast trail network around Grand Rapids. Not to mention being 25 miles from Lake Michigan and all of it's trails and scenery. Or the fact that you're a short drive from the forests of Northern Michigan with all of it's rivers, trails, nature and scenery. If it's one thing Michigan doesn't have a shortage of it's that

Old 10-31-2017, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
You should start a thread to ask about this. There's a vast trail network around Grand Rapids. Not to mention being 25 miles from Lake Michigan and all of it's trails and scenery. Or the fact that you're a short drive from the forests of Northern Michigan with all of it's rivers, trails, nature and scenery. If it's one thing Michigan doesn't have a shortage of it's that
I would agree with mjlo, and it's all very accessible (easily within 15 minutes of downtown you can be in a recreational area).

West Michigan Trails and Greenways Coalition > Trail Maps

If you want real hiking/backpacking/rustic camping you have to go a bit further North to the Huron- Manistee National Forest which begins around Newaygo (40 minute drive north of GR)

https://www.alltrails.com/parks/us/m...ational-forest

Further North it gets even better, and then there's the UP for the ultimate in outdoor experiences, which would probably remind you more of Northwest Arkansas.

Last edited by magellan; 10-31-2017 at 07:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area