Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2010, 05:53 PM

2 posts, read 9,896 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to move to Grand Rapids in the near future and will need housing, as well as studio space. Are there any live/work buildings in GR, either "official" or not? I've seen a couple listings online, but they look more like high-end loft conversions.

I'm making a trip up there in a few weeks to scout it out. Any help on where to start is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 07:56 AM

845 posts, read 3,271,626 times
There are official live/work spaces on Division Ave (the "Avenue for the Arts") downtown.
I know of several artists doing this in the Eastown neighborhood, so you might google that way as well.

I think Google will be your best bet. Then you can come here asking for feedback on specific locations and get some pretty good responses.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:04 AM

2 posts, read 9,896 times
Thanks Suydam - I did find a little more info based on your lead. Looks like there are some great things happening in the GR arts scene.

I like the idea of being close to downtown, are there any areas I should be apprehensive about?

Old 03-01-2010, 05:26 PM

845 posts, read 3,271,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wncmojo View Post
Thanks Suydam - I did find a little more info based on your lead. Looks like there are some great things happening in the GR arts scene.

I like the idea of being close to downtown, are there any areas I should be apprehensive about?
I think like any city, the areas on the cutting edge of residential innovation (e.g. live/work) are also those areas that are converting from sketchy to fantastic.

Your best bet would be to reach out to the arts community (through uica perhaps) and find out what the artists who actually live there think.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:04 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,852,535 times
1111 Godfrey is a huge artist enclave. Do some digging there and some of the artists might point you in the right direction. I also know that Tanglefoot Studios has some loft space available. Don't know if you can live there or not, but there's probably 8 - 10 artists in there as well.

Both are pretty raw and pretty cool factory buildings.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:23 AM

7 posts, read 29,325 times
OK, it's 3 years after this original post, but I am in the same position now, moving to GR with fiance, I am a painter, he is a musician...any updated information on where artists can find live/work space in GR?

Old 07-14-2013, 08:53 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,852,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckwas View Post
OK, it's 3 years after this original post, but I am in the same position now, moving to GR with fiance, I am a painter, he is a musician...any updated information on where artists can find live/work space in GR?
I'd start with...

Dwelling Place | Providing homes, revitalizing neighborhoods

Old 07-15-2013, 09:16 PM

7 posts, read 29,325 times
Thanks magellan, doing some research and found the site...very helpful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area