Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 08:02 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times

Advertisements

The former DIL, who has always put her job ahead of her children, is doing it again. She is the custodial parent of two boys age 11 and 13, and is being deployed to Iraq for 4 months (she is not military, but works for a private contractor).
My son is now working out of state and so is not home except on weekends. So instead of sending the kids to my son's to be cared for by his wife (she hates her)- same school district- she is pulling them out of school and sending them to her sister's in another state. Their schoolwork will be disrupted and they will miss spring sports.
She is a nutcase and nobody seems to be able to stop her. I just wish my son had better taste in ex-wives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 10:00 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,174,310 times
When I was a raising my kids as a single mom I also worked for a military contractor. I was offered a real lucrative 30 day project across the country. Even with knowing my mom would gladly have come to stay with them at our house....I couldn't FATHOM leaving my kids for that long. Now, if someone happens to be deployed because they are in the military there isn't much they can do about it, but I can't imagine a mom being willing to leave her kids like that. They are only young once and she can do all these things after they are older and would be probably glad to see mom gone awhile.

It's heartbreaking as a grandmother to have to stand back and watch....but there is little you can do but stay in touch with the kids yourself and let them know you love them.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:39 AM

So true. REAL lucrative when you're going out of the country is about $250,000. for 6 months. So by this time, she should be able to work at the 7/11 in NC and be very comfortable.
Get this, the reason they're divorced is that, when this DIL was in the Army she requested to be transferred to Colorado, moved the kids lock, stock and barrell, and lied to my son (stuck in NC in the Army also) and told him the Army was making her move.
The reason she hates my son's present wife is that she blames HER for breaking up her marriage. We aren't dealing with a rational person here.
That's the end of my rant. Thanks for listening.

Old 01-17-2009, 01:07 PM

904 posts, read 2,873,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
The former DIL, who has always put her job ahead of her children, is doing it again. She is the custodial parent of two boys age 11 and 13, and is being deployed to Iraq for 4 months (she is not military, but works for a private contractor).
My son is now working out of state and so is not home except on weekends. So instead of sending the kids to my son's to be cared for by his wife (she hates her)- same school district- she is pulling them out of school and sending them to her sister's in another state. Their schoolwork will be disrupted and they will miss spring sports.
She is a nutcase and nobody seems to be able to stop her. I just wish my son had better taste in ex-wives.
Your son should get a lawyer and file for temp custody of the boys while the mother is out of the country. I can't imagine a judge would give the boys to an aunt over a biological father.

Old 02-01-2009, 08:49 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
GENTLEARTS - just wondering what had happened with this sad situation? And - want you to know I am thinking about you. I have continued to ponder this whole situation and just wanted you to know someone else cares out here . . .

Old 02-01-2009, 08:58 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,491,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VBmom View Post
Your son should get a lawyer and file for temp custody of the boys while the mother is out of the country. I can't imagine a judge would give the boys to an aunt over a biological father.
I agree. A good family lawyer can stop this within a few days. If you or your current DIL have your sons POA you can do this for him. Even with him in Iraq this can be done. It is the right thing to do for the kids. Good luck.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:09 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,281,758 times
I can't top that SmokyMtngal

Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

Romans 12:2

The thing is that this is very selfish of the DILl
There seems to be trend in some mothers that hate to be tied down in the home with their
children, that btw they brought into this world and did not ask to be born
Prayer is strongly recommended
I feel for this grandmother, I can feel her heart breaking
Gentleartsl
try and be strong and walk very careful, in case she ,ay be a spiteful person
Consult a very experienced attorney, or wait it out, because she may try to use them
as [awns and they sound as if they have gone through more than enough division already

Old 05-11-2009, 08:16 AM

1,461 posts, read 3,651,981 times
Grandparents really can worry about their sweet grandbabies. I just try to be a major force in their life. I agree with the one who said to keep in contact with them. Be a solid foundation for them and let them know you are there for them.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
GENTLEARTS - just wondering what had happened with this sad situation? And - want you to know I am thinking about you. I have continued to ponder this whole situation and just wanted you to know someone else cares out here . . .
Thanks for your thoughts. Everytime there is a court date scheduled, ex-wife gets a note from her employer saying she needs to be out of town, so the court is rescheduled. This has happened about 15 times. You can't get custody if you can't get her to go to court. It's unreal how she manipulates the system.
The Mother of the Year is due back in the country about now, so at least my son will get to see his kids again soon.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:57 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Thanks for your thoughts. Everytime there is a court date scheduled, ex-wife gets a note from her employer saying she needs to be out of town, so the court is rescheduled. This has happened about 15 times. You can't get custody if you can't get her to go to court. It's unreal how she manipulates the system.
The Mother of the Year is due back in the country about now, so at least my son will get to see his kids again soon.
I hope you will soon get some resolution. Glad you came back and updated - have wondered about you all many times. Keeping you in my prayers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents