Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 05:09 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times

Advertisements

I think it's wonderful to live in a country with the kinds of ideals embodied in our Constitution. But let's be honest: why should you continue to enjoy the rights and privileges that come with American citizenship if you've committed crimes against society?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 03:32 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,433,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I think it's wonderful to live in a country with the kinds of ideals embodied in our Constitution. But let's be honest: why should you continue to enjoy the rights and privileges that come with American citizenship if you've committed crimes against society?
I've thought the same thing.The U.S. is the richest country in the world, and criminals think they deserve everything that comes with being an American. But if they are working to spoil the land with their crime, they are essentially saying that America should be a Moderator cut: language , just like any other third world country. They want to be the wolf that eats the farmers sheep, thinking they are slick. But every sheep they eat, makes the farm less prosperous. Everybody suffers. If they want to live in a Moderator cut: language, they should give North Korea a try, where people are eating grass and tree bark in order to survive. They should go live in Southern Mexico, and Central America, where the guerillas bomb whoever they want on a daily basis.They want to prove they are so tough, they should go prove it in a tough environment, not a clean, plentiful land, where people strive to make things better for ourselves and the rest of the world. How easy it is for them to think they are somebody, just because they took the lollipop from the little boy's hands. Go and fight people like yourselves, if you are a criminal. Don't stay here where you are not wanted. America is for progress, not for dumb criminals who think they are so tough, but in reality are nothing but cowards who can't take a day in a third world country.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 08-06-2010 at 12:52 PM.. Reason: Please let the language filters do their job.

Old 08-22-2010, 06:57 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,278,688 times
A criminal is hard to define. If you have broken the law, which many adults have, are they criminals for life? I guess it depends on who is doing the labeling. Anyway the U.S. is not easy on criminals. We have the highest population of people in prison in the WORLD! We have alot of innocent people in prison due to our imperfect justice system. There will always be criminals, but we can definitely do something about it by taking the time to talk to our children and family members, be supportive, live by example.... care! Caring is much harder than any distant criticism, and those who care are the strongest, most resilient people in our communities.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:09 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,793,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeacenHarmony View Post
I honestly think we are way to easy on our repeat offenders an also think that capital punishment should be nation wide an not just a few select states Do I think DNA full proof no I don't anything that involves human interaction is unfallible but I also think punishment should fit the crime if you kill someone take there life away why are we paying you to live out your life There are exceptions to everything though So I don't have a fix all in my mind but my opinion still stands
Well said. And very much AGREE. Something definitely needs to change within our criminal justice system.

Old 08-27-2010, 03:59 PM

9 posts, read 37,070 times
I for sure believe in the death penalty. Keeping people in prison their whole lives is way too costly. That being said, I would never want to be in charge of deciding who deserves the death penalty. I really don't know enough on the subject to comment more in depth.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:01 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,822,710 times
Human beings are imperfect. No matter how hard we try, we get things wrong sometimes.

Whatever punishments you support for criminals, you must be aware that it will occasionally be applied to the innocent.

That is why I personally do not support medieval punishments, or irrevocable ones.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:27 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
As I said elsewhere the first child rape is the perpetrator's fault. The second is ours. I believe that the death penalty only be used to prevent a particular individual from ever repeating the crime. Sex offenders and sociopathic killers along with economic pirates such as Madoff are on this list. IMHO self defense is one of the few excuses for killing another human. Finding somebody boffing your wife is not. Considering how many people are damaged, including some enough to commit suicide, purposeful fraud like Madoff’s crimes should also receive the death penalty to discourage the others.

We must stop using the "justice" system to repress the economics of the poor. If society does not have a use for the poor then it should not interfere with what little the drug economy provides. We should fine but not incarcerate minor crimes like drug possession and dealing. We should also never have prisons owned and operated by the private sector. That is just another form of fraud.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:39 AM

7 posts, read 11,108 times
Agree!

Old 09-26-2010, 09:10 AM

784 posts, read 1,982,099 times
I think we are too easy in punishing criminals, but sometimes too hard on them when they reenter society. I do think that we should be executing many more criminals tha we currently do.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:06 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,864,701 times
Are we too Easy on Criminals? (drug, child predators, speech, violent crime)

Well.....skipping over some of the lesser criminal offenses, I fully believe that murderers should be put to death by the same method they used for their victims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates