Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 05:23 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,859,038 times

Advertisements

Addendum-----I believe the population explosion is proof that man can not come up with anything more fun to do than have sex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 07:22 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,968,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Addendum-----I believe the population explosion is proof that man can not come up with anything more fun to do than have sex.
The wealthy and more educated have more amusements from which to choose and manage to limit family size. It is usually the poor who have little satisfaction or creative outlets in their lives who have large families. They also cannot so readily afford abortions and tend to be among the populations who have religious taboos against such things. This keeps them in poverty, often servants to those who are better off financially.

Old 10-16-2010, 02:00 PM

30,895 posts, read 36,946,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I don't see any technological breakthroughs happening to alleviate our dependence on fossil fuels..
That's normal. Few of us can forsee the future. But the US is the biggest energy waster there is. Surely, we could get 20% to 50% more energy efficient over time without hurting our standard of living.

Quote:
Since every credible scientific org. is agreeing that man is contributing to global warming.
Yet another scam. The media are complicit in only reporting the pro-global warming side of the agenda. Scientists who don't go along with human caused global warming are ignored by the media and/or black listed. There's lots of politics in science, too, 'ya know.

Quote:
, and since these resources are becoming scarce, do we sit idly by watching prices rise and rise, catering to these powerful corporate interests, or do we sink money into research that will pull us out of the mess and also invest in an inferstructure that is not dependent on these fuels, the way other civilized countries are doing?.
As much as I think global warming is a scam, I actually agree with you on this point. We do need to focus on making our homes & cars more energy efficient and work on developing alternatives. It's doable. We just haven't made much effort, although that is starting to change.

Quote:
Saying other times have complained about overpopulation and no crisis happened to them, so we should do the same is not sensible..
Sure it is. It proves the sky just might not be falling after all. As I said, I do think better energy efficiency and alternative uses is smart for lots of reasons. But this idea that we're running out of resources, blah, blah, blah....it's a product of very limited thinking and ignored the reality of human innovation. Problem is...innovation is a b*tch. And humans are (unfortunately) crisis oriented. So they wait until there's a crisis before they innovate. I do worry, however, that in many different realms (energy efficiency/use of resources being one small aspect of it) we're looking at many crises in the near future that we're not facing...so in a more general sense we agree...although I suspect we differ on many details.

Quote:
This is not a matter of having faith in some mysterious God who will always back the decisions of humanity. It is a matter of using the brains that we have to help ourselves.
No disagreemente here. I believe God helps those who help themselves. FYI, not all believers believe in the kind of God you described. Many of us believe God is much more practical than some of the loud mouthed religious nuts you see on CD forums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates