Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 01:48 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,183,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
The focus of the curriculum in Jewish schools (again I'm talking about the Orthodox ones....which are the ones I am most familiar with AND the ones that are pretty much mandated for religious Jews) is HEAVILY focused on Hebrew and Jewish studies. Much to the detriment of other things. In fact, a good number of Orthodox Jewish school in New York graduate students who can't read and write English past an elementary school level. In other places, the graduates of these schools (or yeshivas...as we call them) are ill-prepared for college.
There is a big difference between a private institution (which can do whatever they want) and a school that is subsidized by taxpayer money. The public school has to adhere to certain standards and should be beneficial to society as a whole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
Yes, there are no 'Jewish public' schools here; we don't have the population of Jews here to warrant it. However in other places of the country, a good portion of tax payer money goes to support such schools.

Even here, the students of private schools have tax-subsidized bussing and special services in that their home public school districts contributes this to such students (i.e. McKeesport Area School District pays for the busing of the 9 kids in my neighborhood who go to a private Jewish school in Pittsburgh).
Wow...really? I think that is completely inappropriate. Public resources should not be spent upon private educational endeavors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
As for goals--I suggested above that I do in fact look forward to a time when no one will see things in racial terms, because I think the concept of race is largely useless.

But I don't see the point of pretending that is the world we live in today. Again, if you walk out into the world today with no understanding of the concept of race, no understanding of how it has impacted history and still impacts human behavior in various cases, you won't understand the world you are living in.
I say what the hell. Let's try it. If it increases black academic achievement and lowers all of the bad stuff (violent crime rates, etc..) then it will be a good thing.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Are you saying we should try teaching "color-blind" histories and see what happens?
No...I was saying that maybe we should give the African academy stuff a chance.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:35 PM

589 posts, read 757,062 times
If the Ancient Egyptians were Black...Then how come the mummies of the Pharaoh's [and common folk] have straight hair ? Some of the Pharaoh's had naturally Red hair and some were natural Blondes. The obvious answer is the Ancient Egyptians were not black [duh].

And just because Egypt is on the continent of Africa means nothing...The nearby Libyans, Isreali's and people across the Mediterranean sea to the North of Egypt were not black.

Here is Ramses II's hair analysis:

Ramesses II - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"For the last decades of his life, Ramesses II was essentially crippled with arthritis and walked with a hunched back,[58] but a recent study excluded ankylosing spondylitis as a possible cause of the pharaoh's arthritis.[59] A significant hole in the pharaoh's mandible was detected while "an abscess by his teeth was serious enough to have caused death by infection, although this cannot be determined with certainty." Microscopic inspection of the roots of Ramesses II's hair proved that the original color of the king's hair was once red which suggests that he came from a family of redheads.[60] This has more than just cosmetic significance; in ancient Egypt, people with red hair were associated with the god Seth, the slayer of Osiris, and the name of Ramesses II's father, Seti I, means "follower of Seth."[61] After Ramesses' mummy returned to Egypt, it was visited by then-President Anwar Sadat and his wife."

Anyways...I dont care if there is a Afro-Centric school, but when it starts teaching lies then what is the point of it ? The kid learns nothing of value. And there were Black cultures at the time of Ancient Egypt to teach about instead of trying to steal the Egyptian's hertiage as they're own. Nubia for one was a black civilization, as was Ethiopia.

The point of School should be facts first, backed by Science. Teaching myths = you are not getting a Education.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:58 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,026,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
No...I was saying that maybe we should give the African academy stuff a chance.
Sorry--my misunderstanding. I'll delete the post in question.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:09 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,026,276 times
Note we don't actually know what the school is saying about Egyptians. The OP apparently talked to a young child who said something about black Egyptians. The evidence suggests there certainly were at least some dark-skinned Egyptians, and in fact it appears likely there was a lot of ethnic intermarrying in Egypt (which might make them not too unlike black Americans, who often have lots of non-black ancestors).

Again, personally, I think all this ultimately just demonstrates why race is a useless concept. The people in Egypt were interacting and intermingling with other peoples both in Africa and outside Africa. That's interesting, and you just make the story less interesting and less informative by trying to pin down one specific race to which Egyptians supposedly belong.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:37 PM

275 posts, read 628,670 times
Does anyone know if this approach has been tried before or in the past? I know it has on the college level, but I really wonder if it will work. Again, it sounds good, and I am sure that is why it exists, because basically school administration is at a loss in how to address the academic problems with black students. Along with high dropout rates, discipline, and low test scores have been chronic for a while now with no end in sight.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:28 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,780,296 times
Quote:

Wow...really? I think that is completely inappropriate. Public resources should not be spent upon private educational endeavors.
Yes they are. Although it varies in regards to how much by state. New York funnels more of their taxes into private schools. Florida very little. In fact I know of Jewish families in FL who send their kids to schools in New York because of this.

I don't get bent out of shape over it though. I pay school taxes even though I have no kids. Tax money also goes to those students who opt for a cyber school option or a charter school; sometimes at a higher cost per pupil than if they would have just gone to public school. It's just they way things are.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:31 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,731,734 times
Quote:
I can sense that Yac the moderator is about to swoop in with his God-like powers and lock the thread up tighter than Ft. Knox.
I won't, as long as the discussion is on the level and not getting personal. It's an interesting topic, obviously controversial, but it needs to be discussed. Even if it stopped being a Pittsburgh topic a while ago, I feel the chance for a mature discussion is much higher here than in the politics forum
Yac.

Old 08-31-2010, 03:13 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times
Ah, but what about the Great Debates forum?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates