Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 04:50 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,686,160 times

Advertisements

The original question asked if Miller academy is a racist school. After reading all of the posts, it seems that the general consensus is, yes it probably is but it doesn't matter as long as they are also teaching the kids how to read, write, do math, and science.

So now the new question is....... Are they teaching the kids how to read, write, do math, and science?

I would have to say the answer is no. This school is doing a terrible job of teaching academics.
School Digger rates them ZERO out of five stars. The State ranks them 1538th out of 1650 schools.

This link shows their test scores. Miller African-Centered Academy School, Pittsburgh Pennsylvania / PA 8th Grade PSSA Test Scores - SchoolDigger.com

24% of the kids are proficient at math. The rest of the Pittsburgh district is a dismal 57.9% while the State average is 71.3%.

Only 4% are proficient at writing. Let me say that again. 4%
The rest of the disrict is 60.2% while the State is at 71.2% All of the other subjects are just as bad.

This tells me that not only are the Pittsburgh City Schools behind the rest of the State, Miller Academy isn't even on the chart. They can't even compare to other schools in their neighborhood. They aren't even showing any improvement. Their scores are getting worse every year.

They are a racist school that has terrible teaching standards. Every employee at that school should be ashamed of themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 05:09 AM

747 posts, read 1,231,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Barlow View Post
And all of that is the fault of whom......huh?
For years upon years, that is all that the black man/woman has been asking for. To live in a color blind society. Where everyone is equal. Now, that is no longer the case? I'm sorry but that makes no sense whatsoever.
Blacks never asked for a color blind society. Blacks wanted equal access to jobs and opportunity. That is a myth...

Old 08-31-2010, 05:18 AM

747 posts, read 1,231,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonaos View Post
If the Ancient Egyptians were Black...Then how come the mummies of the Pharaoh's [and common folk] have straight hair ? Some of the Pharaoh's had naturally Red hair and some were natural Blondes. The obvious answer is the Ancient Egyptians were not black [duh].

And just because Egypt is on the continent of Africa means nothing...The nearby Libyans, Isreali's and people across the Mediterranean sea to the North of Egypt were not black.

Here is Ramses II's hair analysis:

Ramesses II - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"For the last decades of his life, Ramesses II was essentially crippled with arthritis and walked with a hunched back,[58] but a recent study excluded ankylosing spondylitis as a possible cause of the pharaoh's arthritis.[59] A significant hole in the pharaoh's mandible was detected while "an abscess by his teeth was serious enough to have caused death by infection, although this cannot be determined with certainty." Microscopic inspection of the roots of Ramesses II's hair proved that the original color of the king's hair was once red which suggests that he came from a family of redheads.[60] This has more than just cosmetic significance; in ancient Egypt, people with red hair were associated with the god Seth, the slayer of Osiris, and the name of Ramesses II's father, Seti I, means "follower of Seth."[61] After Ramesses' mummy returned to Egypt, it was visited by then-President Anwar Sadat and his wife."

Anyways...I dont care if there is a Afro-Centric school, but when it starts teaching lies then what is the point of it ? The kid learns nothing of value. And there were Black cultures at the time of Ancient Egypt to teach about instead of trying to steal the Egyptian's hertiage as they're own. Nubia for one was a black civilization, as was Ethiopia.

The point of School should be facts first, backed by Science. Teaching myths = you are not getting a Education.
Show me a naturally blond Egyptian image.....The Egypt of yesterday was not the Egypt of today. The Egyptian territorry extended from modern day Egypt to the north and south past the Sudan and Ethiopia. Africans in this region do have straight hair. Egytians were not black (kinky hair)americans........ Egyptian were from the african region known as Kemet.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:26 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,009,142 times
There is no general consensus that a school with an Afrocentric focus is necessarily racist.

As for evaluating performance using test scores: I laid out the basic procedure you would have to follow above. To summarize, first you would have to control for the nature of the student body (or, more properly, the nature of their families and home environments). Then you'd also want to look at earlier grades versus later grades. I don't know how the school would look if you followed those procedures, but just looking at raw test score rankings isn't an appropriate procedure.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:45 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times

Old 08-31-2010, 06:21 AM

34 posts, read 36,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins View Post
Blacks never asked for a color blind society. Blacks wanted equal access to jobs and opportunity. That is a myth...
Yes, so is Bigfoot. But you've still got a heckuva lot of people looking for him.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:30 PM

589 posts, read 756,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins View Post
Show me a naturally blond Egyptian image.....The Egypt of yesterday was not the Egypt of today. The Egyptian territorry extended from modern day Egypt to the north and south past the Sudan and Ethiopia. Africans in this region do have straight hair. Egytians were not black (kinky hair)americans........ Egyptian were from the african region known as Kemet.

Egypt has been getting darker over time and not lighter, anyone can tell this by looking at old mummies. And the Arab-African slave trade only added to this. So you are right, Egypt today is different than it was in the past. Afterall we obviously still have descendants from the slave trade in the West today. And the idea that the founders of Egypt were black is blown apart...By mummies.

This is a Black [Nubian] mummy from Nubia -

This is a the mummy of Pharaoh Ramses II [the Red head] -

The oldest Egyptian mummies found were light haired, and straight haired -

From - Mummy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"A mummy is a corpse whose skin and organs have been preserved by either intentional or incidental exposure to chemicals, extreme coldness, very low humidity, or lack of air when bodies are submerged in bogs. Presently, the oldest discovered (naturally) mummified human corpse was a decapitated head dated as 6,000 years old and was found in 1936.[1] The most famous Egyptian mummies are those of Seti I and Rameses II (13th century BC), though the earliest known Egyptian mummy, nicknamed 'Ginger' for its hair colour, dates back to approximately 3300 BC."

And about straight hair, show me some pics of unmixed black people with straight hair from Somalia [let alone a red head or blonde]. Its well known that East Africans are mixed with Caucasians, so the few that might have straight hair in that region could easily be part Yemeni or Arab. But Egyptian mummies almost ALL have straight hair, and 99% of black people dont have straight hair [which points to the obvious - Ancient Egyptians...were not black].

Old 08-31-2010, 12:30 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,180,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
As for evaluating performance using test scores: I laid out the basic procedure you would have to follow above. To summarize, first you would have to control for the nature of the student body (or, more properly, the nature of their families and home environments). Then you'd also want to look at earlier grades versus later grades. I don't know how the school would look if you followed those procedures, but just looking at raw test score rankings isn't an appropriate procedure.
But, the whole point is to produce halfway decent test scores by instilling pride in the kids. It sounds like it's not working.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
But, the whole point is to produce halfway decent test scores by instilling pride in the kids. It sounds like it's not working.
Again, you can't determine whether this school is doing a relatively good job or not until you do something like what I outlined. I'm not saying I know what you would determine about this school's performance if you did that, just pointing out that raw test scores comparisons aren't going to give you the answer to the relevant question.

In other words, we know that lots of other factors together have a strong affect on test scores, and I don't think anyone would claim that an Afrocentric focus alone could somehow make up for all those other factors (Afrocentric education doesn't provide nutrition, sleep, reinforcement in the evening and continuity during breaks, and so on). So if you want to see if the Afrocentric focus is at least helping, you need to control for all those other factors first.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:52 PM

Defining "black" as "unmixed" Nubian probably does mean most Egyptians weren't black (although there probably were some Nubian Egyptians). But note that isn't how people usually define "black" as applied to Americans.

Again, I think all this really just points out how race is a largely useless concept, such that trying to give a definitive answer to whether or not Egyptians were "black" tends to obscure more than it illuminates about the history of Egypt and its interactions with the rest of Africa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates