Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 08:07 AM

2,652 posts, read 4,797,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkDrinker View Post
The kids these days are so weak! But it's their parents fault because they tried to raise them in a utopia! I was never bullied even though there were tons of reasons. No one had the courage to do it because I was stronger (psychically) and I always fought back (with words... not physical violence).
You've hit it dead on, Milk.

My child is sensitive. My kid is delicate. Turn the other cheek. Better yet, invite this bad azz kid into your home for a play date. What in the hell. Really! I mean really!

Why would your kid want to break bread with the bully??

My sister's son is a mom's boy. He doesn't know how to defend himself...verbally or physically. He knows how to relate to mom and not his peers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 12:54 PM

2,652 posts, read 4,797,363 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
Yeah and you know what happens after that? The kids you just had mommy complain about are going to kick your A$$ so much harder now.
What are you talking about? I'm not advocating mom and dad handle the situation.

Old 10-10-2010, 01:28 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,174,310 times
All I can say is if you read all the posts just on CD making fun of people who are over weight, less educated or any other number of things.....exactly just HOW did you think your kids would behave towards others in school?

Kids today better get tougher than ever, because society is only getting uglier and crueler by the day.

Old 10-10-2010, 01:33 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,382,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
All I can say is if you read all the posts just on CD making fun of people who are over weight, less educated or any other number of things.....exactly just HOW did you think your kids would behave towards others in school?

Kids today better get tougher than ever, because society is only getting uglier and crueler by the day.
Excuse me? Human beings have always mocked the less educated and the overweight. And today we have no slavery and women aren't second class citizens, so it's not so bad, right?

Old 10-10-2010, 01:39 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,257,845 times
I think it is a part of life but sometimes it just goes too far like anything else. I do think kids need to know that if you are going to stick out for anything you are going to get attention for it. I think as a healthy community and family you need to be there for those who are having a tough time dealing with it.

I don't know one person that did not get messed with about something or other in school. My little brother was a lot softer than I was and he got picked on more. People would start with me, but I would finish it or laugh at them because usually it was ridiculous.

The one time it went too far with my brother some kids kicked the crap out of him. So I kicked the crap out of the kids. No one messed with him after that. Its a just a game of dominance sometimes. I think there is a little animal in all of us still that fights to get out.

I also think that kids just need to burn off energy more than they do these days. If you have all this pent up energy, hormones and absentee parents. How can it not be a recipe for disaster?
If kids who were bullied had other ways to build self esteem than in the validation of others they would also have an easier time on forgetting being pushed around.

Old 10-10-2010, 01:59 PM

Exactly. Violence is wrong, but people still hold the right to be violent and hurt others.

We as a society mollycoddle children too much. We even have to be nice and kind to children we don't even know, aren't close to, or even give a crap about.

Old 10-10-2010, 02:52 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
I was bullied at work. At it was relentless. I felt completely worthless, and unsure of myself. I can't even understand why this person acted this way towards me. No one cared, even though they could see the bullying. It was abusive, sick, and wrong. Nurses and social workers are the biggest bullies in the professional world. It is incredible that this is not addressed more in the work place, like how to identify it, how to deal with it, and it should be made illegal. There is no recourse, if you are not in a protected class, it is not considered an EEO issue.

Old 10-10-2010, 02:56 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,223,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
Exactly. Violence is wrong, but people still hold the right to be violent and hurt others.

We as a society mollycoddle children too much. We even have to be nice and kind to children we don't even know, aren't close to, or even give a crap about.
Who says you have to be nice to children you don't know? You have every right to be a crotchety old grouch if you so choose.

Old 10-10-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
Who says you have to be nice to children you don't know? You have every right to be a crotchety old grouch if you so choose.
Our society does.

Old 10-10-2010, 03:49 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,223,411 times
Those pesky rules of a civilized society-being kind and respectful to others (children included). Thank goodness for those 55+ communities where children are considered some sort of invaders and can be openly scorned.
Back to the subject- I've found that most bullies have bullies for parents. They see their parent's rude behavior towards others who they think are lesser than them (service employees, wait staff, etc.). Many times they witness their father slapping around Mom or siblings. Usually, I'm not one to necessarily blame the parents for a child's bad behavior (some kids and adults are just rotten), but I think it's warranted in respect to bullying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates