Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 04:18 PM

7,724 posts, read 12,618,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
animals must feel pain just like us humans. When I step on my dogs foot it yelps so it must be feeling pain. But these people have no qualms about boiling cats alive to eat. That can't be morally right.

“Boiled Alive Cat” Prepared, Served In Guangzhou Restaurants – chinaSMACK
I don't think it is right to do that to big animals like cats!!! I would think something like crabs or fish would be more appropriate!! Cats and dogs are like our friends or something!! I'm not pro-animal because I'm not a wack-job but cats and dogs are very close animals to human beings! They should NOT be cooked or eaten. Or any other 'social' type of animal that we interact with and feed!!

Old 10-14-2010, 04:19 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,809,097 times
If you stick lobsters in the fridge before you drop them in the pot it puts them to sleep, there's ethical for ya- now where's my peace prize?

Old 10-14-2010, 04:50 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,681,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I don't think it is right to do that to big animals like cats!!! I would think something like crabs or fish would be more appropriate!! Cats and dogs are like our friends or something!! I'm not pro-animal because I'm not a wack-job but cats and dogs are very close animals to human beings! They should NOT be cooked or eaten. Or any other 'social' type of animal that we interact with and feed!!
Again, as has been noted, this is subjective morality. What you think is right or wrong is not necessarily what another culture thinks is right or wrong.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 10-15-2010 at 12:17 PM.. Reason: Please discuss the topic, not each other.

Old 10-14-2010, 04:53 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,240,206 times
I'm a Cajun. We boil crabs, crawfish and other sea critters but I've never eaten a cat.
That would be like eating at McDonalds or something. We have better things to eat in the swamp and marches... than cats.

Cat gumbo? That ain't right.

Who harvests the cats? Is there a cat season or a permit? What is the limit?

PETA would have a kinipshin fit over cat as cuisine, is my guess.

I've seen a homeless guy in New Orleans harvesting pigeons. I had no problem with that.
He looked really hungry and there is no shortage of street chickens.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:02 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,519,045 times
Well, it's one thing to eat an animal that we in America would not ~ but it's another thing entirely to BOIL IT ALIVE.

How can that be considered ok in whatever country???

A living animal is a living animal wherever you are; and can feel pain and suffer in any country. You don't have to have morals to figure that one out.

And, yes, I would have a hard time boiling a lobster alive. Luckily, it's not my favorite seafood.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:31 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,681,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Well, it's one thing to eat an animal that we in America would not ~ but it's another thing entirely to BOIL IT ALIVE.
Yes, most of us would feel disgust at doing that. But again, different cultures feel differently about it than we do, so it IS considered okay where they live. I don't know why that's so difficult to understand.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:09 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,201,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I've actually never heard of the website "ChinaSMACK" before... Some very interesting content, including a piece about encouraging women to pee while standing in an effort to save water.

With regard to boiling cats: Morals are not universally identical and what is "morally right" is often heavily influenced by the surrounding culture. While it may not seem right to you, there may not be any moral hang-up whatsoever in traditional Chinese culture. I don't think you can attack the practice of boiling cats alive for food based on morality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Have to agree with jimbo on this one. Morality is subjective and highly influenced by culture. When I was in Korea I was served octopus tentacles that were snipped off the baby octopus while it was alive. The tentacles in the dish were still squirming when they were placed in front of me. Yes, I ate them, and they were delicious. The barbecued dog was also delectable. Different cultures, different mores.

That said, I wouldn't boil a cat alive, and I would have trouble snipping off a live octopus' tentacles.
I'm pretty sure that boiling living things is something that can universally be considered bad as it causes an extreme amount of unnecessary pain. Whether you like your mammals killed in a method which attempts to minimize pain or with excruciating pain is not a matter or taking milk with your coffee or not.

That being said, westerners do this to lobsters who ostensibly can feel pain so I hope this thread doesn't go look-how-weird-foreigners-are semi-xenophobia that seems to drip off of these types of discussions.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:18 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,211,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I don't think you can attack the practice of boiling cats alive for food based on morality.
I think that's one of the most blatantly ridiculous things I've ever heard. If there was some country/culture that was in the habit of boiling people alive, would you say the same of them?

My point is some things do not have a gray area. Further, comparing an animal like a cat to a crab (why stop there? how about a cockroach? ) is absurd. Also water is wet. Good grief

Old 10-14-2010, 09:27 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,519,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Yes, most of us would feel disgust at doing that. But again, different cultures feel differently about it than we do, so it IS considered okay where they live. I don't know why that's so difficult to understand.
Well, perhaps I read the original question wrong but it seemed to be a broad . . 'is it ok to boil a cat alive"? Not, specifically, is it ok to boil a cat in ____________(insert country here)

The answer is NO, it is NOT ok to torture a living thing; country of choice notwithstanding. Sometimes right is right and wrong is wrong no matter where you are standing. Universally, it is wrong.

I don't know why that's so difficult to understand.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:59 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,943,383 times
Hell NO its so not ok to torture a living animal. people are fing sick and cruel! im so glad i am a vegrtarian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates