Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 11:33 PM

61,691 posts, read 87,077,794 times

Advertisements

Lab not in hot water for boiling monkey | The Maven's Musings
USDA says boiling monkeys alive for research is legal ...

Undercover investigators from PETA have documented deliberate and routine cruelty to animals at slaughterhouses around the country — chickens were defeathered in vats of scalding-hot water while they were still alive, cows had their skin ripped from their bodies while they were still conscious, and animals were drugged to grow so abnormally large that they could barely walk.
http://www.britannica.com/blogs/2008...all-in-history

oh, here is more, anyone still feel hungry?
http://trifter.com/practical-travel/...-delicacies/2/
1. eating monkey brain ( monkey is alive) The monkey usually screams terribly before dying near the diners table.
2. frying a newly born rodent ( rodent is alive) The diner initially uses a special skewer to stab the live rodent.
3. boiling turtle for turtle soup ( turtle is alive) The cook then allows the turtle to remain alive in the herb soup in order to create a good flavor.
4. roasting ducks feet ( yep, same as above) A live duck is placed on a slightly hot frying pan.
5. eating raw monkey meat ( According to tradition, the more the diner heard the screaming of the donkey, the more excited they will then be to dine on this delicacy)
6. dried chicken: During the preparation, the chicken is still alive
7. eating shrimps: First, a cup of Brandy, Whiskey or Vodka is poured onto the live Shrimps. Then, the diner eats these live shrimp, apparently with great excitement.
8. Grilled unborn lamb: the cook will then cut through its abdomen to take out the cooked, unborn lamb from inside its mother’s body.
9. Fetus soup?: The herbal soup uses human fetus (or pre-birth babies) as its main ingredient.
http://socyberty.com/issues/baby-her...y-ever/?ewrd=1

Last edited by elnina; 10-15-2010 at 04:06 PM..

Old 10-15-2010, 08:38 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
I think that's one of the most blatantly ridiculous things I've ever heard. If there was some country/culture that was in the habit of boiling people alive, would you say the same of them?

My point is some things do not have a gray area. Further, comparing an animal like a cat to a crab (why stop there? how about a cockroach? ) is absurd. Also water is wet. Good grief
Well, we live in a culture that dropped thousands of tons of incendiary bombs on Tokyo and burned out every structure above grade along with the people inside.

We also live in a culture that allows landowners to control feral cats by any reasonable means (and doesn't necessarily enforce against unreasonable means, particularly in rural areas where they are a big problem) including shooting, trapping, poisoning, etc. A cat shot through the gut with a .22 will endure hours or days of incredible pain, yet our culture would not prescribe any punishment for that under the right conditions.

I think the reaction that you're having is a response to the idea of boiling a cat rather than killing a cat. Certainly the slaughter method leaves something to be desired by American standards, but the morality can't be judged unless you don't have a problem with being a rank hypocrite.

I'm not certain if you are directing the "comparing an animal like a cat to a crab is absurd" at me or not, but I'm curious how you have formulated the idea that a cat's pain is more significant, ethically speaking, than a crabs. I'm not necessarily disagreeing, but I'm curious to know more about your argument position.

Last edited by jimboburnsy; 10-15-2010 at 08:47 AM..

Old 10-15-2010, 09:09 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,238,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Have to agree with jimbo on this one. Morality is subjective and highly influenced by culture. When I was in Korea I was served octopus tentacles that were snipped off the baby octopus while it was alive. The tentacles in the dish were still squirming when they were placed in front of me. Yes, I ate them, and they were delicious. The barbecued dog was also delectable. Different cultures, different mores.
I sincerely hope you do not own any pets. You should be banned from ever owning a dog at the very least.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:56 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,681,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Well, perhaps I read the original question wrong but it seemed to be a broad . . 'is it ok to boil a cat alive"? Not, specifically, is it ok to boil a cat in ____________(insert country here)

The answer is NO, it is NOT ok to torture a living thing; country of choice notwithstanding. Sometimes right is right and wrong is wrong no matter where you are standing. Universally, it is wrong.

I don't know why that's so difficult to understand.
Many cultures eat live animals, or kill them in ways which those of us in the western world find cruel. Thing is, it's not immoral because morality is subjective and you cannot judge another culture's food choices by your own ideas of what is taboo.

Ask an Australian aborigine if it's wrong to eat a live witchetty grub.
Ask a Chinese national if it's wrong to eat a live fish.
Ask a Korean if it's wrong to eat live squid or octopus.
Ask any seafood lover anywhere if it's wrong to eat live oysters or scallops.

I could go on and on but hopefully you get the point. They don't think it's wrong because it's a completely acceptable part of their cultures. As distasteful as you may find it, they don't even think about it. It's just how they eat their food, and there are really no morals involved with it. After all, other cultures view the way we do things as strange or immoral too, and yet I don't see anyone here bowing to the demands of another culture's personal 'morals' if they don't fit your own.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:09 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,943,383 times
Quote:
Many cultures eat live animals, or kill them in ways which those of us in the western world find cruel. Thing is, it's not immoral because morality is subjective and you cannot judge another culture's food choices by your own ideas of what is taboo.

Ask an Australian aborigine if it's wrong to eat a live witchetty grub.
Ask a Chinese national if it's wrong to eat a live fish.
Ask a Korean if it's wrong to eat live squid or octopus.
Ask any seafood lover anywhere if it's wrong to eat live oysters or scallops.

I could go on and on but hopefully you get the point. They don't think it's wrong because it's a completely acceptable part of their cultures. As distasteful as you may find it, they don't even think about it. It's just how they eat their food, and there are really no morals involved with it. After all, other cultures view the way we do things as strange or immoral too, and yet I don't see anyone here bowing to the demands of another culture's personal 'morals' if they don't fit your own.
look i dont give a flying f&*^ whether it is cultural or not, it doesnt make it right. to eat something that has been tortured just cause is not just immoral its f-ed up! you know eating children was also a cultural thing too? they do it in china, they eat aborted fetuses claiming its got health benefits. sick people-
“Eating fetuses is a kind of traditional Chinese medicine and is deeply founded in Chinese folklore. In terms of nutrition, a fetus would be a good source of protein and fats, and there are minerals in bone" -http://www.currentopics.co.in/2009/05/chinese-eat-baby-soup

Old 10-15-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaada View Post
look i dont give a flying f&*^ whether it is cultural or not, it doesnt make it right. to eat something that has been tortured just cause is not just immoral its f-ed up! you know eating children was also a cultural thing too? they do it in china, they eat aborted fetuses claiming its got health benefits. sick people-
“Eating fetuses is a kind of traditional Chinese medicine and is deeply founded in Chinese folklore. In terms of nutrition, a fetus would be a good source of protein and fats, and there are minerals in bone" -http://www.currentopics.co.in/2009/05/chinese-eat-baby-soup
Checked snopes.com lately, or do you normally fly off in a rage and make baseless claims before checking them out?

snopes.com: Fetus Eaten by Asians

Old 10-15-2010, 01:24 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Not for me, unless its a lobster. Personally just about everything I eat, is dead.

How do you think they kill cows before slaughter? I once saw a bull take 4 shots in the head by the screw gun before it went down.

They are animals, and while I personally wouldn't boil them alive to eat, or for any other reason, doesn't mean I'm going to tell anyone else what the hell to do either. I personally like my food gutted and skinned if applicable. They are generally dead at that point.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Not for me, unless its a lobster. Personally just about everything I eat, is dead.

How do you think they kill cows before slaughter? I once saw a bull take 4 shots in the head by the screw gun before it went down.

They are animals, and while I personally wouldn't boil them alive to eat, or for any other reason, doesn't mean I'm going to tell anyone else what the hell to do either. I personally like my food gutted and skinned if applicable. They are generally dead at that point.
Exactly so. I couldn't plunge a live cat into boiling water, but it's not my call how some other culture cooks their food. I think we'd be better served by worrying about human rights before we worry about how dinner is cooked somewhere 8000 miles from us.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:53 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaada View Post
MC is right. You are what is called "ethnocentric" to intelligent people, meaning you automatically assume your culture's values are right and people in other cultures are automatically 'effed up just because they are different. That is not a particularly enlightened way to be.

Old 10-15-2010, 03:21 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,201,035 times
Quote:
Gotta love the arbitrary and self-serving application of moral relativism here. Is it only the morality of food choices that are subjective?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates