Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 08:59 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
How come so much research goes into breast cancer but not prostate cancer? Or is it just me? It's pretty common to hear about raising awareness about breast cancer and looking for the cure on the radio or on TV. What about prostate cancer? About 217,000 new cases of prostate cancer have occurred in men this year, and over 32,000 have died. Is it me, or is there a whole lot of more research and awareness going into breast cancer more so than to prostate cancer? Why does it seem that breast cancer is taken more seriously than prostate cancer?

I sense some sexism going on here.
Well, maybe it's my imagination but apparently all the money that could have gone into raising awareness about prostate cancer, was funneled 100% into research and developing a drug for male erectile dysfunction. The demand was there for E.D. Which means as far as men are concerned, they were far more interested in having an erection than a healthy prostate.

I could tell you about two drugs available for E.D. and I don't even have a penis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 08:45 PM

194 posts, read 252,264 times
High intensity focused ultrasound (HIFU) has been around for a number of years in Europe (trials were started in the UK a while back). Now the nanoknife is under trial for this as well as other cancers. Provenge (approved in 2010) and the better DCVax prostate in trials soon. So some things are being done, i would imagine its because most prostate cancer is slow growing and affects older men (over 65)

Old 10-02-2014, 03:55 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,458,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Women are better at organizing.
Very true, and it also has to do with marketing and the cultural biases built into the nature of each illness. For example, "Save the Ta-ta's" is a much easier and catchier sell, than say, "Prostate Cancer Sucks!"

Old 10-02-2014, 11:07 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,817,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
How come so much research goes into breast cancer but not prostate cancer? Or is it just me? It's pretty common to hear about raising awareness about breast cancer and looking for the cure on the radio or on TV. What about prostate cancer? About 217,000 new cases of prostate cancer have occurred in men this year, and over 32,000 have died. Is it me, or is there a whole lot of more research and awareness going into breast cancer more so than to prostate cancer? Why does it seem that breast cancer is taken more seriously than prostate cancer?

I sense some sexism going on here.
Research funding is not a zero-sum game. No one is obligated to give equally to every type of cancer out there.

Advocates of breast cancer have simply done a better job at promoting their cause.

Perhaps you should spend more time pursuing that and less time whining and building up your us-poor-oppressed-men fantasy (and this comment comes from a man, by the way).

Old 10-02-2014, 01:08 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,995,391 times
Screening for prostate cancer is a scam. Most old men die with prostate cancer. Very few men die of prostate cancer. The statistics strongly support Not operating on prostate cancer. If you are over 50 you shouldn't be screened.

Old 10-04-2014, 09:52 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Very true, and it also has to do with marketing and the cultural biases built into the nature of each illness. For example, "Save the Ta-ta's" is a much easier and catchier sell, than say, "Prostate Cancer Sucks!"
This is ridiculous, but once again, the apparent youth and lack of memory/knowledge of what I recall as fairly recent changes in society are just driving home that I'm gettin' old.

SO, LEARN, my children:

Back in the 60's and 70's women were dying left and right of breast cancer because there was so much shame attached to having had a mastectomy. Women would rather die than live without breasts for fear their husbands would dump them and they would no longer be viewed as complete women. There were no regular mammograms or "women's health" centers or exhortations to do self-examination.

What you see today is the fight against that death sentence. A women named Betty Rollins wrote a ground-breaking book in the 1970s called "First, You Cry" about her breast cancer. Only after that did other books and magazines start paying attention to this previously hidden, shameful disease that no one wanted to talk about. Women began to be encouraged to seek treatment for breast cancer and TO TALK ABOUT IT, technology for reconstruction and prosthetic breasts grew and became more than little shops on dark side streets where women who were missing a breast could skulk into with no one seeing them going to get fitted for a mastectomy bra.

That's what reality was for "saving the ta-tas" thirty-five, forty years ago, and that may be your entire lifetime, but it really wasn't that long ago. You want more attention for prostate cancer? Then follow what those brave women did who finally spoke up and talked about it and decided to LIVE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates