Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 06:25 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post
I liked your post up until here. I'm not sure what you're getting at? Are you trying to be modest or sarcastic?
I was a swimmer in school. They don't have a swim team where we live now. My kid was in sports when he was younger. Football and basketball are the sports around here. He was one of those awful kids that skateboarded and played in a band. He doesn't like to skateboard anymore since he was hit by a car, and he coudn't play sports afterwards if he wanted to. He still plays guitar.
Two years ago our school almost didn't open due to lack of funding. I think a lot of the problem with our schools here is lack of funding. Our property taxes are way too low, but no one wants to pay more. I think it's a shame. Considering how low our taxes our, it would not hurt to raise them a little for school.
Good Luck.
I wasn't really getting at anything; other than perhaps I'm too complacent; things could go wrong at any minute while I'm sitting around thinking everything is peachy.

Good Luck to you too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 08:44 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mquest123 View Post
Is it 100% the schools fault? Is it 100% the parents fault?

Is it 80% schools fault and 20% parents fault?

An interesting book to read is "The Outliers"

It basicly says that the number one indicator of success for a child is how the parents raised the child.

I would say that 80% of fault is on the parents, 10% fault on the child and 10% on the schools. I know people that have done well in really crappy schools.
Get rid of all government schools. Let the markets take over. All private. With that, any problems are 100% parents fault.

Instantly get rid of busing problems, religion in school problems, gay controversy problems, political correctness problems.

Much cheaper too considering the average government school is about $8000 per kid per year.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:03 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
The education system is the problem. And their biggest mistake is making sure that parents have no power to fix what is broken. Why should a child's success depend on the parent when they spend more time in school during their waking hours than they do at home. Parents are being cheated by the government once again. They pay taxes, government takes the money and tells them that their child is going to a public school and therefore have no rights except to take a child out of the public school and put the child in private school. Public schools need to start listening to parents. Some parents do care for their children.

Our children used to come home from public school and then we had to teach them. Basically all the teachers were doing was assigning homework. If public schools would enact rules that would allow them to expel the children who misbehave, then the teachers would be able to teach, but they don't want to hurt the feelings of "little Johnny." So "little Johnny" keeps everybody from learning. So tell me how that is the responsibility of the parent. We can tell the school what we want them to do, but since it is government; our hands are tied, except to do the teaching ourselves or send the child to a private school.

The biggest influence to high test scores of a child is the education level of the parent. If the parents were the problem, their education level should have little influence as to the success of the child. A good school could take a child from a home that does not even speak English and turn out a successful student.

Last edited by NCN; 12-09-2010 at 09:12 PM..

Old 12-14-2010, 06:33 PM

119 posts, read 379,789 times
Default Ncn

Not sure what you are trying say. It seems that you are an involved parent who wants more for their child. That is a good thing.
Public schools carry a very heavy burden- educate all children sent to them regardless of how involved the parents are/are not along w/ all the other potential issues (language, culture, income, etc.).
As an involved parent, go the school, speak w/ the teachers and administrators and press your point about what you want for your child. I suspect that they will respond favorably (most educators love having parents who are concerned about their children's education).
It is very easy to blame public schools for what our children are not receiving. Sometimes the blame lies much closer to home

Old 12-14-2010, 06:49 PM

37 posts, read 44,101 times
The schools at least in the town I am from have NO interest in working with parents. I had a middle schooler who developed 'school itis' and a self esteem issue. I would physically walk her into the school and while she was going through this self esteem schoolitis issue the teacher would send her to the nurse and the nurse would call me to come and get her an hour after I got home. This child was in 6th grade and well old enough for a little discipline. I told the school she must stay in school regardless if she is comfortable or not but they demanded I pick her up. They would not make accomodations for her to do her work in the nurses office, or principles office, or a closet for all I care I was the parent and trying to teach this child she must stay in school. THEN after forcing me to pick her up over and over the school issued a complaint that the child has missed too much school and now has a truancy problem. Children in public schools are nothing more than a number to the teachers and staff. Its impossible for a parent and school to work together to overcome issues under those circumstances.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:23 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Government schools are working.
Parents are proactive.
Kids are learning and acquiring skills to make them productive and healthy and happy people.

Now, it may be more cost effective to have all private schools and there may be other benefits to all private such as more parental control, less political correctness, no busing problems, and market forces driving a quality product - but if you have to have government schools, the current system is working.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:14 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,187,777 times
Short answer to the question "Are parents or schools the problem with our educational system?"

Yes.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:17 AM

12,957 posts, read 13,671,429 times
I would go as far as to say that it is the problem of the parents and not a fault. Many of them are not aware of their reposponsibilty. Bad schools follow where ever there are bad communities. I always advise people from out of the state who are looking for a good nieghborhood, to go to a web site and find the best school in the district and buy a house near there.
I place the problem squarely in the hands of the parents. Compulsory education laws ties the hands of schools and teachers.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:22 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,183,316 times
This should be a no-brainer. Of course, the problem is the schools, they teach communism. America's parents are innocent.

Old 12-16-2010, 05:14 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,187,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
This should be a no-brainer. Of course, the problem is the schools, they teach communism. America's parents are innocent.
Hmmm...if the above is sarcasm--well done. That's one thing I hate about the ol' interwebs--it's hard to tell if a poster is serious or posting tongue-in-cheek.

But, if you were serious...

Just to point out what may be a shocker to you as apparently my experience is an exception...

Not all schools "teach communism". Every school I worked in was by and large very conservative. Of course, they were located in socially and politically conservative areas of the nation. No communism teaching going on there...

...in fact, there was quite a bit of the opposite. Anyone with birkenstocks was suspect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates