Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 11:43 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,381,273 times

Advertisements

What are your thoughts on Merry Christmas on cards for Christmas?

Went to Hallmark to buy boxes of Christmas cards today - I'm doing my own protest and only buying cards if they say Merry Christmas. I refuse to buy the Happy Holidays, Season's Greetings, etc. because I am greatly annoyed that Christ is getting pushed out of Christmas.

Guess how many boxes I came home with that said Merry Christmas.... none, zero, nadda.

Hallmark had a handful which said Merry Christmas but they were ugly and I have not yet gotten that desperate. I bought 3 boxes of religious cards. None say Merry Christmas but the picture/message on the front is very evident of what Christmas is all about.

I'm not trying to push my belief on anyone else. But I think America is going insane with political correctness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 12:57 AM

1,813 posts, read 2,849,234 times
I agree with you. The holiday on December 25th is called Christmas. Why are we avoiding this? Who is going to be angry at us for acknowledging our own holiday? Should we call it something else? Then years from now people won't like that term and it'll be changed again.

Good for you, only wanting the Christmas cards. It's the same thing as saying "Merry Christmas" to people who celebrate Christmas. Why ignore something that has been around our whole lives, which we have nothing to be ashamed of?

Old 12-02-2008, 04:02 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,051,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post

Went to Hallmark to buy boxes of Christmas cards today - I'm doing my own protest and only buying cards if they say Merry Christmas. I refuse to buy the Happy Holidays, Season's Greetings, etc. because I am greatly annoyed that Christ is getting pushed out of Christmas.

Guess how many boxes I came home with that said Merry Christmas.... none, zero, nadda.

Hallmark had a handful which said Merry Christmas but they were ugly and I have not yet gotten that desperate. I bought 3 boxes of religious cards. None say Merry Christmas but the picture/message on the front is very evident of what Christmas is all about.

I'm not trying to push my belief on anyone else. But I think America is going insane with political correctness.
How hard are you looking?
My thoughts are that this conspiracy against Christmas does not exist.
I've seen *plenty* of Merry Christmas cards, online and in stores.
Museum catalogs have them, as well: The Metropolitan Museum of Art (http://www.metmuseum.org/store/st_family_viewer.asp/familyID/%7BFFB7B42F-B969-400D-AF62-F1D2762BAF24%7D/FromPage/catStationary/callFromRelViewer/y/callFromFamViewer/y/SpecialPermFlag//catID/%7B16C44EEC-98D0-4DCB-A988-AB0B64CD41CA%7D/FromSearch/ - broken link) has cards with greetings inside that say everything from Merry Christmas to scripture.
Companies are shrewdly cashing in on this bogus "secularist conspiracy."
But if I were in your shoes, and that concerned about conveying the message of Christ's birth, I simply would have gone to a craft store and made my own cards.
It's not that difficult to either write, stamp or print out your own words.
That way, you get exactly what you want, with your own personal touch.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:52 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,856,170 times
Just like the other right wing war-"The war against the fairness doctrine"- this one is totally false. The nice thing about fighting this kind of war is that no one is literally shooting at you, and YOU'RE GUARANTEED TO WIN, because your "foe" exists only in your own head!

golfgod

Old 12-02-2008, 09:05 AM

877 posts, read 2,079,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post

You're right that it is becoming increasingly difficult to find "Merry Christmas" cards. My wife found some that she liked at Hallmark, but it took her a while at the store.

There may not be some organized conspiracy, but there is an ongoing trend to remove Christ from Christmas.

Old 12-02-2008, 12:30 PM

1,731 posts, read 4,687,228 times
Dang. I don't know where you all live but I see Christmas cards for sale everywhere from the CVS and Walgreens to the supermarkets, Target and dept stores. Shoot, I even found some really cute ones in Lowes of all places.

Old 12-02-2008, 01:42 PM

1,419 posts, read 2,457,255 times
I agree with you! I guess you have to go to a Christian store to get Christmas cards that say actually have the word Christmas somewhere. Christ is what Christmas is all about, but people have made it about other things. The meaning of Christmas is ruined, its way too commercialized and screw political correctness.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:17 PM

765 posts, read 1,913,270 times
I love how christians twist a truth to suit their needs .. Christ was not born on Dec 25 no matter how bad you want it it has been proven that Christ was born in early Sep third century during Cesear Augustas's tax count which traditionally took place in late summer early fall.. Christians adopted Dec 25 to replace the Roman feast of Saturnalia which celebrated the birth of the sun god. The priests began holding a mass for christ on the same day to disrupt what they considered "pagan" rituals and this mass eventually evolved
into christ mass AKA Christmas.. So if anyone has a gripe about their holiday being hijacked talk to a jew or pagan. See you at "Easter"

Old 12-02-2008, 03:34 PM

877 posts, read 2,079,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislives View Post
I love how christians twist a truth to suit their needs .. Christ was not born on Dec 25 no matter how bad you want it it has been proven that Christ was born in early Sep third century during Cesear Augustas's tax count which traditionally took place in late summer early fall.. Christians adopted Dec 25 to replace the Roman feast of Saturnalia which celebrated the birth of the sun god. The priests began holding a mass for christ on the same day to disrupt what they considered "pagan" rituals and this mass eventually evolved
into christ mass AKA Christmas.. So if anyone has a gripe about their holiday being hijacked talk to a jew or pagan. See you at "Easter"
Maybe instead of attacking other religions, you could celebrate your own Saturnalia, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, or Midwinter? The reasons for Christians selecting December 25 as their day to celebrate Christ's arrival on earth is irrelevant.

The fact is that Christmas is about celebrating the birth of Christ, and there has been a trend away from worshipping Christ.

By the way, the Roman god Saturn was stolen from the Greek god Cronus.

Oh, and the Greeks stole Cronus from the Canaanites.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:42 PM

36 posts, read 75,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman0 View Post
You're right that it is becoming increasingly difficult to find "Merry Christmas" cards. My wife found some that she liked at Hallmark, but it took her a while at the store.

There may not be some organized conspiracy, but there is an ongoing trend to remove Christ from Christmas.

Yes I agree, there has been a trend at removing Christ from Christmas. Thats ashame to push aside the true meaning of Christmas. I think the parents these days dont teach their children what Chrismas is "Really" about. THE BIRTH OF CHRIST.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates