Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 12:56 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,133,954 times

Advertisements

Why do we have to use this term to describe certain types of racism. It makes it seem like "racism" is something that only white people do. So if a non-white person is racist then it is different and exotic and given this special name.

I think racism is racism. Racism is not something that only white people do. This term "reverse-racism" is totally ridicuous to me. It seem to perpetuate the notion that racism is a white thing.

Sometimes I can't stand all the race related BS going on in this country. There is just so much ignorance and bitterness to this day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 01:16 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,054,512 times
I agree completely, it's just racism no matter who does it to whom. It goes in any which way that it can, not just white's being racist against anyone else. Racism is racism, no matter what race a person is who does it to another...and honestly people should not be judged by the color of their skin in any direction, but unfortunately it certainly happens.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:06 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times
I also agree. I didn't learn much in College worth while but I do remember one thing my Sociology Professor taught us. The only race is the human race. We practiced role plays where by some one played the white store owner and a black student would walk in playing the part of a teenage kid looking guilty. We discussed each side how everyone felt. It was something that would stick with me.

That being said. Reverse racism is practiced by this very govt who has 2 faces. One face inacts laws to protect some from being discriminated against while on the other side of their face give special rights to some and not others. For those who receive special rights and privileges due to some percieved minority status that makes those who are not eligable to receive those extra rights and privileges quite angry. That is the definition of reverse discrimination.

It's wrong. It's all very wrong. If we want true equality among all then everyone should be intitled to the same rights and privileges equally.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:25 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,897,313 times
I agree. Racism is racism, no matter if the person committing it is in the majority or the minority. Same with sexism. If a man is being discriminated against in the workplace, we hear about it as "reverse sexism." No, it's sexism, period. At least in most employment law statutes, it's clear that the -ism's cut both ways. Though I still think a white person claiming racism or a man claiming sexism may oftentimes be held to a higher standard of proof.

I think the "reverse" terms are used in response those who claim that people in a historically oppressed group can't be racist (or sexist). In my social work education, I had to hear this all the time, from professors and other students. I got so tired of debating it, because you can't ever win.
If you claim that women can be sexist or African Americans can be racist, you get accused of being racist or sexist, or at least aiding and abetting it.

Many students come out of college having had it pounded into their heads that the 'ism's only go one way. So when they see it happen in the other direction, they feel the need to label it "reverse."

Old 03-11-2009, 02:39 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,381,949 times
A lot of European countries don't even have a translation for the English word "race". It is mostly an American phrase. As for "reverse", when the OP used that word I knew exactly that he was referring to prejudice against white people. Whether it's right or wrong, it's specific and clear (semantically speaking).

Old 03-11-2009, 06:06 PM

12,962 posts, read 13,673,944 times
I think People use this phrase to describe what is refered to as Institutionalized racsim where an ethnicty other than African American is affected adversely

Old 03-11-2009, 10:44 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,133,954 times
It's strange how Black-Americans racial identity is treated so differently than other races. They are seen as being this oppressed group that must be apologized to. But what about Irish, Mexicans, Chinese and other groups that have been screwed in US history? Where do they stand in this?

Its strange how racial issues in America are so focused on Whites and Blacks.

So what would we say if.... a Columbian was being racist against a Viet? Would we call that Sideways-Racism? If an Icelander was being racist against a Saudi, is this Upside-Down racism, with a cherry on top and sprinkles?

There are many, many, many different races out there and there are racists and yocals in every single group.

The funny thing is that a lot of people really do think that only white people can be racists. So many people have this ignorant view of history in which they know that Whites enslaved blacks, but they don't even know the details of it and they don't know about the struggles of other races of people.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:53 AM

613 posts, read 1,270,359 times
I believe racism was origionally defined as the majority against minorities. Though it was changed i guess thats where it comes from. I agree its all bs. Its starting to remind me of the planet of the apes.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:00 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,643,964 times
[quote=FunkyMonk;7845299]It's strange how Black-Americans racial identity is treated so differently than other races. They are seen as being this oppressed group that must be apologized to. But what about Irish, Mexicans, Chinese and other groups that have been screwed in US history? Where do they stand in this?

quote]

You forgot another race... American Indians.

I do agree with your post though.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:51 PM

12,962 posts, read 13,673,944 times
The sole purpose Spain and the UK brought Black People here was to discriminate against them, most other ethnic groups met the white man on equal terms and slid down to inequality, while black people met the white man on unequal terms and has constantly slid up to equality. African Americans are like the proverbial canary in mine. If they can succeed anyone can.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates