Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 03:45 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Floyd View Post
I get that. I still think it's an area where being cautious is necessary even in the absence of empirical evidence.

How do you feel about hormone free meat? Beef or chicken? The same?
with beef you are basically talking about giving the cows some form of testosterone. i cant imagine much shows in the resulting meat but then after its cooked forget about it. its good that people complain about that because its a pretty clear situation where there is no way it impacts the person eating the final product.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
vegan bad *ss

Nice talking to you. And regarding Snookie...whoever seeks that out is totally whack. Anyway, she would probably be doing the seeking...and destroying and God help the one who wakes up with her next to them.
vegan bad *ss? that sounds like an oxymoron to me. who is this fellow?

i have another forum that i post on thats private and uncensored. so im trying to think of a more tame version of what id normally say with regards to snookie. ummm im sure it doesnt feel bad.

Old 02-18-2011, 04:32 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,590,988 times
Quote:
I've yet to see real studies that suggest organic food is healthier.
Since it's supposed to be "Great Debates" not "Great Rants" it would be really nice to start 7 pages long discussion with some definitions

What food do you consider to be "organic"?
How do you compare "healthiness" of "organic" & "non organic" foods?
What kind of scientific data could change your mind?
What makes food healthy/not healthy: poisons, vitamins&mineral content, enjoyment, taste, peace of mind&consciousness?

Old 02-18-2011, 04:45 PM

2,549 posts, read 2,722,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
vegan bad *ss? that sounds like an oxymoron to me. who is this fellow?

i have another forum that i post on thats private and uncensored. so im trying to think of a more tame version of what id normally say with regards to snookie. ummm im sure it doesnt feel bad.
Don is a surrogate father to me. Really the father of a good friend of mine whose family embraced me as one of their own. And he is a vegan bad *ss. Lean and mean. He has a no kill philosophy that led to the vegan thing. But he still surfs, swims, kayaks, plays frisbee, jogs, bikes, dates younger women etc...you name it. And it is work to stay with him. At 51, I am inspired by him for sure from a health standpoint.

The discussion would be interesting because it seems his views would be quite different than yours for some of the things discussed here.

Old 02-18-2011, 04:49 PM

2,549 posts, read 2,722,884 times
Quote:
with beef you are basically talking about giving the cows some form of testosterone. i cant imagine much shows in the resulting meat but then after its cooked forget about it. its good that people complain about that because its a pretty clear situation where there is no way it impacts the person eating the final product.
They also ingest pesticides in the food they eat so that's an issue too.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Don is a surrogate father to me. Really the father of a good friend of mine whose family embraced me as one of their own. And he is a vegan bad *ss. Lean and mean. He has a no kill philosophy that led to the vegan thing. But he still surfs, swims, kayaks, plays frisbee, jogs, bikes, dates younger women etc...you name it. And it is work to stay with him. At 51, I am inspired by him for sure from a health standpoint.

The discussion would be interesting because it seems his views would be quite different than yours for some of the things discussed here.
i feel pretty strongly about what im saying, but im not really in it to change anyones mind. sometimes i feel like doing research and sometimes i just like to spit out my opinions. i do think its good to have variety in your diet and eat veggies and fruits (dont want to get scurvy now) but that comes after calorie count and carb/fat/proteins.

you know those jersey shore characters are primarily from new york. they arent a representation of new jersey residents.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
They also ingest pesticides in the food they eat so that's an issue too.
so is eating dead bugs and the stuff that they leave behind. i think insects have been known to spread disease.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:26 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
The "cows" are not given testosterone. In the feed lots, cattle are given synthetic estrogen to build body mass. In addition to that, they are fed a diet of corn that is laced with 50 pound sacks of the antibiotics Rumensin and Tylosin. Keeping in mind that the corn that they are fed (along with liquefied fat and animal parts that have been discarded by processing plants) is almost certainly genetically modified.

The meat from these animals can hardly even be called food any longer. But most people think it's just fine and dandy to eat and feed their families. I shudder to even think about it.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-18-2011, 10:07 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,736,789 times
The bottom line is that I do not trust Agribusiness and the FDA. I think that there are limits to laboratory testing and that some of the foods and ag techniques that are deemed safe will in the long run prove not to be so. I do not trust large corp Agribusiness because there is too much emphasis on efficiency and very little on safety, a la BP.

Say you start with natural beef but then you realize its cheaper to force feed them corn instead of grass. Then you decided you need to fatten them up so (from WSJ):

"The big boys in the grease market are middlemen known as "renderers." They buy used grease, clean it up and resell it at the market price. Some goes to cattle lots, which feed the grease to cows to fatten them up. "[I didn't know cows were omnivores]

Then you don't want your cows to get sick so you pump them with antibiotics. Then comes the growth hormones. After slaughter comes the irradiation. After all this you want me to be confident that the meat is safe to consume on a daily basis?

Sorry but I'll stick with the eggplant from the local farmers market. Even pesticide-laden eggplant would be preferable.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:18 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,862,875 times
The Organic Food Delusion

I would venture to say that almost everything we eat is some form of an organic compound, i.e. one that contains the element- Carbon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates