Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 02:14 PM

18,469 posts, read 31,630,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgemo2 View Post
Except for the fact it would probably lead to a lack in smoking in general which would result in a huge loss in tax revenue.

they really dont want people to stop smoking there is too much money being made.

imagine for a second that everyone in the world realized how bad smoking was, and stopped. no one buys cigs, all those companies related to the processing of cigs loses money and goes bankrupt....

then what happens.

see, they really dont want people to stop.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:14 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgemo2 View Post
Except for the fact it would probably lead to a lack in smoking in general which would result in a huge loss in tax revenue.
Don't lose any sleep over that. The cigarette companies have recently discovered phenomenal new markets in places like China. For every American who isn't smoking, there are now two or three Chinese who are. (Not that we come out ahead, since we probably wind up breathing in their cancerous air anyway, eventually. But the cigarette companies are still raking it in).

Old 03-22-2011, 05:29 PM

15,631 posts, read 10,386,562 times
I am bothered by parents bringing infants to a restaurant after 7pm and expecting other people to ignore the noise during a meal or a crying baby to a 9pm movie at a theater. I am annoyed that tourists stand in the middle of the sidewalk five abreast and won't move and by people who yell on their cell phone on the bus through the whole trip. There are so many annoyances in the city. In the scheme of things, give me a smoker on the sidewalk for two seconds anytime.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 03-22-2011 at 06:14 PM..

Old 03-22-2011, 09:36 PM

22,660 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
You also have to breath in exhaust. Are we to ban all automobiles? How about perfume? Some people choke on perfume. Shall we ban it for the wussies who seem to only be happy when whining like little brats that their world isn't perfect?

The anti-smoking has become nauseating, and if walking by a smoker upsets someone that much then I bet they also gripe and complain about a myriad of other things.

Misery, victimhood, whining, and complaining seem to be more about the individual than about whatever it is they're complaining about. I think these big babies should just go suck a tailpipe.
Automobiles serve a very important purpose, they are essential for any modern society. Also, the changes mandated to automobiles since the early 60's has been nothing but revolutionary, autos are so much cleaner today. Ever hear of the Federally mandated On Board Diagnostics (OBD), this system was mandated and developed with its main purpose being cleaner auto emissions.

Ciggies are basically the same filth they have always been, thier purpose is to feed peoples craven weakness/addiction. I said nothing about banning them, just wish private businesses such as outdoor malls would make NO-SMOKING areas where us nonsmokers could enjoy sitting without breathing smokers filth. And yeah, the perfume comparison is pretty lame, MOST people do not go that overboard with the stuff.

Enjoy your filthy habit and throw some cigarette butts on the ground for me.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:52 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,080,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Well, if it were made illegal, one could be handed anti-smoking cigarette tickets. Come to think of it, that would be a great revenue generator for whatever locale.
Do you mean smoking were made illegal, or smoking in public places?

Okay, so budgets have been cut which means there are less police officers for patrol and enforcement. This is true across practically all municipalities across the board. How much time and enforcement will really be spent handing out smoking tickets?

Old 03-24-2011, 10:36 PM

21,863 posts, read 25,129,659 times
This thread sucks. I expected awesome satire from the title, and it did not deliver

Old 03-25-2011, 06:48 AM

31 posts, read 171,283 times
Smoking tickets sound ridiculous. The whole idea of no smoking on sidewalks is ridiculous. If it bothers you that much keep crossing the street. Youll be okay. Now smoking in parks with children is something different

Old 03-25-2011, 08:57 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,429,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Yeah, but people have to breath your filthy habit. Fa
tty foods or alcohol do not get into my bloostream if others are eating/drinking these things.
And smoking doesn't make people lose their inhibitions, alter their pereption of situations, affect co-ordination or alter behavior.
Are their smoke/driving laws ? NO
People are allowed to go to a bar and drink themselves into oblivion, all the while interacting with the public, maybe acting antisocially,causing disturbances, littering sidewalks and then ultimately, climbing into their car and driving.
What would people say if they tried to ban bars?

They are places provided for people to drink alcohol.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:14 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
And smoking doesn't make people lose their inhibitions, alter their pereption of situations, affect co-ordination or alter behavior.
Are their smoke/driving laws ? NO
People are allowed to go to a bar and drink themselves into oblivion, all the while interacting with the public, maybe acting antisocially,causing disturbances, littering sidewalks and then ultimately, climbing into their car and driving.
What would people say if they tried to ban bars?

They are places provided for people to drink alcohol.
Afraid your post isn't terribly clear to me

"Are their smoke/driving laws?"[/i] - No because smoking doesn't alter an individual's ability to operate a motor vehicle.

"People are allowed to go to a bar and drink themselves into oblivion, all the while interacting with the public, maybe acting antisocially,causing disturbances, littering sidewalks and then ultimately, climbing into their car and driving.What would people say if they tried to ban bars?" - There are laws against all the behaviors you listed; therefore, there would be no reason to ban bars, since the overwhelming number of bar partrons don't over-indulge. Those who do are subject to having their behavior addressed by the bar establishment and/or local authorities.

"They are places provided for people to drink alcohol." - Not sure what point you are trying to make. That said, it would be nice if there were similar self-contained venues where people could enjoy their cigars and cigarettes without exposing others around them to their smoke. It would also reduce if not eliminate the butts that litter everyone's streets, sidewalks, parks and beaches.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:43 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
I just wish smokers weren't overwhelmingly so rude.

I am a cancer patient (due to a cancer that has NOTHING to do with my habits- which makes me ENRAGED when I see people wasting their perfectly good bodies by smoking and possibly bringing this horrible disease upon themselves, but that's another topic) who occasionally has to take a bus to get to appointments. Cancer is particularly expensive for a fresh out of college graduate so I can't afford a car or even a cab. Most recently, I was waiting at the bus stop shelter in the rain. Two men came up after me and started smoking. It's winter in Massachusetts and cold- my immunocompromised body needs to stay in the shelter and not out exposed to the elements, even under the umbrella. I started coughing because my lungs have been damaged by chemo and smoke affects them even more than it would have previously. When it got bad, I asked them politely to please either stop smoking or stand away from the shelter and explained my medical condition.

And like every other similar encounter I've had with smokers, they snapped back at me rudely and refused to stop. By the time I got to the hospital for my appointment, I was barely able to breathe.

I know my case is a bit extreme, but a smoker's right to smoke shouldn't infringe upon another person's ability to breathe. Places like bus stops (which, in my case, was set back from the road so none of this "but what about exhaust" nonsense), crowded sidewalks, parks, etc shouldn't be minefields for those of us who are sensitive to smoke. At the very least, smokers should be sensitive of others. If you hear someone coughing, consider for a moment that it might just be you and your disgusting habit causing the person near you distress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates