Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 04:34 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,188,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
As a non-smoker, there are a lot of things that are a pain to me. I've never smoked and never liked it. But someone smoking is the least of my worries. Whatever floats their boat.

Listening to people jabbering about good god knows what on their stupid cell phones is a royal pain to me. I have to listen to their damn noise pollution. So what? Should I go out on a crusade to ban all cell phones because my delicate little ears have to tolerate those evil little cell phone blabberers? Because I'm getting second-hand radiation? Should my lifestyle of not using cell phones dictate everyone else's lifestyles? Should I try to force my vision of "the way the world ought to be" onto everyone? I suppose it would make sense to do so if I subscribed to our manchild/womanchild little society of whiners. I'd throw a tantrum and call the ACLU.
It seems so. Since we all have to live together we make concessions. That's just the way of it. We don't get to do what we want, how we want, when we want. If we don't have the good sense to pause for consideration it's eventually forced, unfortunately. I was at the museum yesterday and folk were not allowed to blab on their cell phones. That's just how it goes at the museum. A rule had to be erected because people are too stupid to be polite.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:05 PM

25,713 posts, read 18,788,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I was at the museum yesterday and folk were not allowed to blab on their cell phones.
It's a good start, I suppose.

Quote:
A rule had to be erected because people are too stupid to be polite.
The thing is, there would be people whining about other people smoking even if the smokers went out in the middle of the desert with no one around for 50 miles. Someone would invariably complain. I think the underlying cause of this sort of thing is A) some folks like to throw tantrums B) some folks like to control other folks' behavior, even if it's not directly affecting them.

I agree that smokers should not be allowed to stand and blow smoke in your face, and even that they should not be allowed to light up in crowded public venues. But at what point does the witch hunt become ridiculous? At what point is it just a control issue? At what point is it Person A telling Person B he can't smoke simply because Person A does not smoke and doesn't "like it"? It's my opinion that enough was enough a long time ago (again, I DO NOT smoke).

Old 03-27-2011, 06:34 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,188,190 times
Quote:
I don't know what people are thinking with their cells in public spaces...screaming into their cells usually.

Quote:
The thing is, there would be people whining about other people smoking even if the smokers went out in the middle of the desert with no one around for 50 miles. Someone would invariably complain. I think the underlying cause of this sort of thing is A) some folks like to throw tantrums B) some folks like to control other folks' behavior, even if it's not directly affecting them.

I agree that smokers should not be allowed to stand and blow smoke in your face, and even that they should not be allowed to light up in crowded public venues. But at what point does the witch hunt become ridiculous? At what point is it just a control issue? At what point is it Person A telling Person B he can't smoke simply because Person A does not smoke and doesn't "like it"? It's my opinion that enough was enough a long time ago (again, I DO NOT smoke).
I don't think it's a witch hunt. I don't think folk really care if a person is smoking off on their own. Maybe there's a bit of fleeting concern over their health, but 2:1 most folk don't give a crap. It's non-smokers having to breath it in not once, twice, three, four, etc times while walking down the street. When I went for my walk the other day it wasn't just one cloud of smoking I was walking through, but several. That's what these folk aren't stopping to consider. It's the same with litter. They think one cig but is no big deal, and maybe it isn't, but a few hundred people thinking the same thing is a problem. That's the issue on the sidewalks.

I think it's a matter of being a mindful person or not. Do you stop and consider how you are affecting others, be it with cigs, cell phones, yapping at the movies, etc? If you are not an aware person then someone will no doubt make you aware. Non-smokers simply not wanting to be near the smoke isn't asking a whole lot. Again, as a former smoker, I always figured it was just a matter of common courtesy. I never felt hunted or attacked. Of course, I did not smoke around people that weren't smoking so maybe I would have had different experiences. All in all, most non-smokers ime are pretty chill about it.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:57 PM

1,455 posts, read 2,497,068 times
Quote:
It seems so. Since we all have to live together we make concessions. That's just the way of it. We don't get to do what we want, how we want, when we want. If we don't have the good sense to pause for consideration it's eventually forced, unfortunately. I was at the museum yesterday and folk were not allowed to blab on their cell phones. That's just how it goes at the museum. A rule had to be erected because people are too stupid to be polite.
Well, someone yapping on their phone isn't a danger to your health, unlike breathing somone else's second hand smoke....

Old 03-27-2011, 11:11 PM

22,660 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Quote:

I have stated what I would like done, much of it does not involve government getting into the mix, just to recap:

Honestly, I would really like PRIVATE COMPANIES (see what Starbucks recently did) to make NO-SMOKING AREAS. The example I like to use is malls with outdoor areas, smoking is allowed everywhere outside, just make a refuge for us non smokers where we can go to drink cofffee, eat, relax...etc.
And yes some Government involvement would be needed. The huge problems of litter in the form of cigarette butts cries out for a solution. I propose a Deposit tax on cigarettes which would finance a recycling program for cigarette butts.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:07 AM

9,322 posts, read 16,661,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Well, drinking and driving are illegal. It is also very easy for me to avoid drunks and there pathetic behavior.....filthy smokers....not so much.
Hmmm, "filthy smokers" sounds a bit militant...

Amazing YOU can AVOID Drunk Drivers and these poor souls couldn't:
1 every 39 minutes...
Drunk Driving Statistics | Drinking and Driving Statistics | DUIAttorneyHome.com

As a non-smoker you have a better chance of getting lung cancer from radon which is in almost every building, than getting it from second-hand smoke:
Health Risks | Radon | US EPA

Old 03-28-2011, 06:37 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,238,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
Give me a break already. every time with the smoking. it's always more and more ridiculous. Can't smoke near a door. can't smoke in outdoor seating. can't smoke in your own car. Once you anti-smoking people have won, what's next? Red meat? Alcohol?

nothing personal to you, jm02, you seem nice enough, but really, this stuff drives me nuts and i rarely ever smoke. what ever happened to live and let live? you said it, life is short and hard, why can't people just do their thing? i know what you are thinking, "yeah but second hand smoke is an infringement on MY freedom." yeah, maybe, maybe not so much though. i really don't think little bits of second hand smoke here and there are such a big deal.
besides, it's all give and take. gotta give a little some places, if you aren't flexible you will break. we all have different preferences, and there's nothing good that can come of forcing people to live your way just because you think it's right. it's a short time we're all on here and stuff like this is just gonna rile people up.

anyways, sorry to ride ya, my mom talks like you and since i can't go off on her i take it out on you instead...
I quit smoking over a year ago but the anti smokers had nothing to do with my quitting...

But you bet can your last dollar they will find something new to b***h about....they're just the b***hing type of people...

Old 03-28-2011, 08:32 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Hmmm, "filthy smokers" sounds a bit militant...
About as charming as this, right:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
I'm convinced those militant anti-smokers are egotistical self-righteous and miserable people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
But you bet can your last dollar [non-smokers] will find something new to b***h about....they're just the b***hing type of people...

Disrespecting either side is this debate is not what this thread is supposed to be about.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:40 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,429,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Well, drinking and driving are illegal. It is also very easy for me to avoid drunks and there pathetic behavior.....filthy smokers....not so much.
Really?
So you can tell if someone is drunk in a bar, on the street, in a store etc?
Or maybe not until they act in an antisocial fashion, make a suggestive remark or vomit on your shoes (or worse)
And do you drive? Please tell me how you avoid drunk drivers?

Yes drinking and driving is illegal, as is smoking in an inside public place, but how many people ignore those laws, and why is that?

Someone else pointed out that there were laws regarding antisocial behavior -problem is drunken people don't remember/care about that as the alcohol has altered their inhibitions and perceptions.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:45 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,429,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
they really dont want people to stop smoking there is too much money being made.

imagine for a second that everyone in the world realized how bad smoking was, and stopped. no one buys cigs, all those companies related to the processing of cigs loses money and goes bankrupt....

then what happens.

see, they really dont want people to stop.

And another reason "they" don't want people to stop is because of health care costs.

Smoking costs less than say diabetes, until a smoker is at the end of their life when costs rise, but for a relatively short period of time.
If everyone stopped smoking the life expectancy would rise and where/who would provide care for all the extra people with chronic diseases of old age eg arthritis, alzheimers etc etc.
So really it works 2 ways-it's not just the taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates