Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 10:05 AM

9,322 posts, read 16,661,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Oh, but they don't see it that way. The world revolves around them. Didn't you know that?

If a ban were put on any of their "habits" (say a ban on cell phones in public), they'd be kicking and screaming and yelling bloody murder.
In a country so focused on individuals and their rights, I am amazed that non-smokers have more rights than smokers. They banned cell phones and texting while driving yet I see people do it everyday and no one does bubbkiss about it. YET let a smoker light up outside in an non-smoking zone...WHEW! The poop hits the fan! Militant anti-smokers abound. I'm convinced those militant anti-smokers are egotistical self-righteous and miserable people. JFR I am a non-smoker.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:30 AM

25,713 posts, read 18,788,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
...(which, in my case, was set back from the road so none of this "but what about exhaust" nonsense)....
I don't smoke. I really don't like standing around in smoke, either. But, the one inaccuracy in your post is what I quoted above. The idea that breathing exhaust can be harmful/deadly is nonsense... well... is nonsense. Exhaust fumes from internal combustion engines are far more deadly than tobacco smoke. That's a fact.

Old 03-27-2011, 12:16 PM

665 posts, read 1,728,097 times
Quote:
I don't smoke. I really don't like standing around in smoke, either. But, the one inaccuracy in your post is what I quoted above. The idea that breathing exhaust can be harmful/deadly is nonsense... well... is nonsense. Exhaust fumes from internal combustion engines are far more deadly than tobacco smoke. That's a fact.

proof ?

Old 03-27-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laidbackhippie View Post
proof ?
The proof is the fact that many, many people have locked themselves in their garage, started their car up... and DIED. It's called suicide. Have you ever read a case where a person locked himself/herself in a garage and lit a cigarette in order to kill themselves?

More proof: In the early days of WW2, the nazis executed prisoners by locking them in a sealed room, starting their army trucks, connecting the tailpipes to pipes leading into the sealed rooms. What do you think happened to the prisoners inside? They DIED. Now, do you think if the nazi guards and officers would have gone into the sealed room and lit cigarettes it would have killed the room full of prisoners?

A little common sense goes a long way. Think about it for a while.

Last edited by ChrisC; 03-27-2011 at 03:37 PM..

Old 03-27-2011, 03:33 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
The proof is the fact that many, many people have locked themselves in their garage, started their car up... and DIED. It's called suicide. Have you ever read a case where I person locked himself/herself in a garage and lit a cigarette in order to kill themselves?

More proof: In the early days of WW2, the nazis executed prisoners by locking them in a sealed room, started their army trucks, connected the tailpipes to pipes leading into the sealed rooms. What do you think happened to the prisoners inside? They DIED. Now, do you think if the nazi guards and officers would have gone into the sealed room and lit cigarettes it would have killed the room full of prisoners?

A little common sense goes a long way. Think about it for a while.
So all of those folks dying from carbon monoxide isn't proof enough?

Old 03-27-2011, 03:51 PM

22,660 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
And smoking doesn't make people lose their inhibitions, alter their pereption of situations, affect co-ordination or alter behavior.
Are their smoke/driving laws ? NO
People are allowed to go to a bar and drink themselves into oblivion, all the while interacting with the public, maybe acting antisocially,causing disturbances, littering sidewalks and then ultimately, climbing into their car and driving.
What would people say if they tried to ban bars?

They are places provided for people to drink alcohol.
Well, drinking and driving are illegal. It is also very easy for me to avoid drunks and there pathetic behavior.....filthy smokers....not so much.

Old 03-27-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I just wish smokers weren't overwhelmingly so rude.

I am a cancer patient (due to a cancer that has NOTHING to do with my habits- which makes me ENRAGED when I see people wasting their perfectly good bodies by smoking and possibly bringing this horrible disease upon themselves, but that's another topic) who occasionally has to take a bus to get to appointments. Cancer is particularly expensive for a fresh out of college graduate so I can't afford a car or even a cab. Most recently, I was waiting at the bus stop shelter in the rain. Two men came up after me and started smoking. It's winter in Massachusetts and cold- my immunocompromised body needs to stay in the shelter and not out exposed to the elements, even under the umbrella. I started coughing because my lungs have been damaged by chemo and smoke affects them even more than it would have previously. When it got bad, I asked them politely to please either stop smoking or stand away from the shelter and explained my medical condition.

And like every other similar encounter I've had with smokers, they snapped back at me rudely and refused to stop. By the time I got to the hospital for my appointment, I was barely able to breathe.

I know my case is a bit extreme, but a smoker's right to smoke shouldn't infringe upon another person's ability to breathe. Places like bus stops (which, in my case, was set back from the road so none of this "but what about exhaust" nonsense), crowded sidewalks, parks, etc shouldn't be minefields for those of us who are sensitive to smoke. At the very least, smokers should be sensitive of others. If you hear someone coughing, consider for a moment that it might just be you and your disgusting habit causing the person near you distress.
This post says it all, having to breath filthy smoke is a pain for us nonmokers.....but try to tell that to a ciggy addict.

Old 03-27-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
In a country so focused on individuals and their rights, I am amazed that non-smokers have more rights than smokers. They banned cell phones and texting while driving yet I see people do it everyday and no one does bubbkiss about it. YET let a smoker light up outside in an non-smoking zone...WHEW! The poop hits the fan! Militant anti-smokers abound. I'm convinced those militant anti-smokers are egotistical self-righteous and miserable people. JFR I am a non-smoker.

No, we just do not want to to "participate" in your vile nonsense.

Old 03-27-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
So all of those folks dying from carbon monoxide isn't proof enough?
Ummm... I believe you've got it!

Old 03-27-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
This post says it all, having to breath filthy smoke is a pain for us nonmokers.....but try to tell that to a ciggy addict.
As a non-smoker, there are a lot of things that are a pain to me. I've never smoked and never liked it. But someone smoking is the least of my worries. Whatever floats their boat.

Listening to people jabbering about good god knows what on their stupid cell phones is a royal pain to me. I have to listen to their damn noise pollution. So what? Should I go out on a crusade to ban all cell phones because my delicate little ears have to tolerate those evil little cell phone blabberers? Because I'm getting second-hand radiation? Should my lifestyle of not using cell phones dictate everyone else's lifestyles? Should I try to force my vision of "the way the world ought to be" onto everyone? I suppose it would make sense to do so if I subscribed to our manchild/womanchild little society of whiners. I'd throw a tantrum and call the ACLU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates