Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 11:06 AM

665 posts, read 1,728,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
>implying the effects of alcohol are comparable to the effects of nicotine

settle down dude

just a joke not intended to imply

only to induce laughter

Old 04-07-2011, 09:47 AM

1,811 posts, read 1,209,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
I’ve noticed since moving from a car-centric city to a pedestrian one that smokers on the sidewalk are suddenly on my radar. I have found my strategies for avoiding second-hand smoke – walk fast, walk slow or cross the street. Still I fantasize of breathing free when running my errands. I know others share my dream of limiting exposure to environmental smoke, as this is a pretty impressive list of cities which ban smoking in their parks: http://www.no-smoke.org/pdf/SmokefreeParks.pdf.

Don’t get me wrong: I am not rabidly anti-smoking. I do get it – life has so few pleasures and you're being chased into smaller and smaller venues to enjoy one of the few that remain. Would it be possible to have a respectful discussion in which we could find win/win solutions that accommodate smokers’ ability to light up and non-smokers rights to not breath their second-hand smoke? I’d be especially interested in hearing from those who live in cities or towns with restrictive outdoor smoking ordinances – how has that worked for you smokers and non-smokers alike? Do any of your cities or towns go as far as limiting smoking on sidewalks, and how has that worked?
I am completely in favor of such restrictions and more.

Heck, if I started burning incense or started creating some other offensive stench analgous to the stench of a smoker, they would be the first demanding I stop.

To smokers I say, keep you filthy stinking stench to your filthy stinking selves.

Old 04-10-2011, 01:51 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,690,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffington View Post
I am completely in favor of such restrictions and more.

Heck, if I started burning incense or started creating some other offensive stench analgous to the stench of a smoker, they would be the first demanding I stop.

To smokers I say, keep you filthy stinking stench to your filthy stinking selves.
One man's trash is another man's treasure; I know a fair amount of people who actually rather like the smell of smoke.

Old 04-10-2011, 07:09 PM

Quote:
One man's trash is another man's treasure; I know a fair amount of people who actually rather like the smell of smoke.
Sure, and I know dozens of people, who love having headaches and burning pain in their lungs. Did I say dozens, I meant thousands. Most are especially fond of the headache - real fun.

Get a clue, and keep your filth to yourself.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Sure, and I know dozens of people, who love having headaches and burning pain in their lungs. Did I say dozens, I meant thousands. Most are especially fond of the headache - real fun.

Get a clue, and keep your filth to yourself.
hahahaha, i'll make sure to blow an extra thick cloud your way

Old 04-13-2011, 12:56 AM

Quote:
hahahaha, i'll make sure to blow an extra thick cloud your way
So typical of a nicotine addict. However, you are aware, aren't you, of the payment in full for such an action?

I'll give you a clue, it involves pepper spray, lots of pepper spray

Old 04-14-2011, 09:00 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,521,282 times
I thought I'd add perfume....you know what I mean......those folks that take a bath in cologne and/or perfume....you can smell them for blocks.

It clogs your sinues.....can trigger a headache/migraine and it just lingers upon your olfactory sensors........and lasts well after you've moved away from the person in question.

I say to the OP.........let's have a "modest" proposal.......OUTLAW all the people who wear perfume/cologne outdoors.....on city sidewalks........within city limits......

Ahhhhh.......now I feel superior to everyone else because IF I don't like something.......I demand that it be made illegal.......for the world revolves around ME!!!!! .

I think I made my point! Write your Senators and Congressman.....this is important in the scheme of things.....perfume free sidewalks for all!.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:51 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I say to the OP.........let's have a "modest" proposal.......OUTLAW all the people who wear perfume/cologne outdoors.....on city sidewalks........within city limits.......
Start a thread. I doubt you'll get as much support as this proposal has gotten.

Old 04-16-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
So typical of a nicotine addict. However, you are aware, aren't you, of the payment in full for such an action?

I'll give you a clue, it involves pepper spray, lots of pepper spray
lol yes that'll hold up well in court
"Sir you are being charged with assault, how do you plead?"
"Not guilty your honor, I sprayed the victim with pepper spray because he blew smoke in my direction."

Old 04-20-2011, 09:49 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,521,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Start a thread. I doubt you'll get as much support as this proposal has gotten.
I see my sarcasm went right over that point on top of your head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates